Drop and fill gone wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So to avoid a long story I went to remove the transmission filter and the neck of the filter broke off in the tranny. Can't seem to get it out and it's about to start raining... Any ideas?

If you are referring to the Regal, something with a hook on the end where you can reach up and pull from the top. Think dental pick. It's in there tight.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
If you are referring to the Regal, something with a hook on the end where you can reach up and pull from the top. Think dental pick. It's in there tight.

Yeah... Iv tried shoving a flat head in there but it's not doing much.. The dang thing wouldn't come out but when I moved it left to right it was coming alittle then it stopped and I broke it.. Sun's going down in half a hour and it's kinda raining. I don't even have time to put the pan back.. Should I just screw on the pan or can I leave it off while it rain?

I'm guessing not..

If it makes you feel better put the pan on with a couple of bolts; definitely, if you are stopping for the night.

I've had this same thing happen before, on my '99 Grand Am. A flat blade screwdriver, and some needle-noses was enough to break the stuck neck into enough pieces and pull it all out.

Had the same problem on a 4t65 in an impala, hammer and screw driver and broke the neck into bits and I got it done.

I know, iv just put 4 bolts in it and left it alone for now. I'll try to get it out tomorrow. Iv been at it for a few hours. I'm just going to leave it alone for now tho. Thank you everyone.

Get a disposable flat blade screwdriver from HF and nick one side of it with a grinder so it's shaped like a hammerhead shark.

A wood sawzall blade, pokey teeth, might also be good for grabbing it from inside.

As you likely understand, the o-ring is holding it there.

If you can get a good grip, try spinning what's left to break the o-ring more loose.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
You might be able to use a pilot bearing puller to pull the remains out.

Actually a very good idea, I was thinking what would work and ultimately I pictured something that looked very similar.

I'm going to try and just crack the plastic since its brittle and then pull it out. I called up a buddy tho who is a actually mechanics and he just kinda laughed he said he could get it out in 5 mins for sure if I need him to but I try not to put people out like that.

I'm going to work on it in the morning and if nothing else I'll have him come over. I was a little to worked up over it earlier. I don't handle defeat to well lol.

I wouldn't try to reuse the gasket. Get a new one.Seems like the common sense thing to do after going to the effort required for replacing the AT filter.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
I wouldn't try to reuse the gasket. Get a new one.Seems like the common sense thing to do after going to the effort required for replacing the AT filter.

The black oem thick rubber gasket that comes on the 4T65e is a better gasket than pretty much anything aftermarket and can safely be be re used at least a few times with nothing more than a wipe down, no brake cleaner necessary.

Well, the problem has been fixed. I ended up having to call my buddy. Just to cold to mess with it for a hour and a half.

If anyone was wondering all he did was use a small pick tool and a hammer and kept taping it with the hammer until the pick busted the seal for the filter. After that it came out with ease.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje

I have replaced the gasket. I was referring to the gasket I bought with my filter. I was hoping I wouldn't have to replace it after I put the pan back on last night. I should have clarified better sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back