Tool box brands - Does it really matter?

Hey all, so as some of you may or may not know I am enrolled in Diesel Technology college starting August of this year. Of course, this means I need a list of required tools, and a box. The tools are very specific, and Snap On, Mac, and Matco all offer 50% off their tools and boxes. As I need a large number of tools, I am buying those from Matco, so I don't have to but them all individually. Plus, 50% off and they are cheapest (Snap On comes in at $2700, Mac at $2400 and Matco at $1700.) Plus, I need the lifetime warranty. The box, however, is a different story. I am looking for a 52"-54" double bay box. The one I had my heart set on from Matco was a 54" for $1400 after discount. However, I started looking around and came across this REALLY? An $1100 difference, for what is basically the same thing? I don't see any way the Matco is worth that much more, plus it has the wooden top that Matco does not. Am I right on this? I understand people who possess $20,000+ in tools may buy a more expensive box, but at the starter level, do I really need anything more? Thanks!

I have a MATCO double bay that was around $8K 9 years ago. It is an amazing box and the best part was being able to spec it exactly how I wanted. Unfortunately I have outgrown it, and need to expand past the 3 full boxes I have.

50 years ago when I went to mechanic school, we didn't need quite so many tools, and I bought many different brands. The box which is much smaller than what you are looking at I bought from Montgomery wards for $50. I still use it today, and it has been great. Although, I would not be surprised if the old cheap ones were as good as the good (read as high priced) ones of today.

It only matters to your ego.

A lot of new guys I work with have the monster Snap-On boxes. I'm an old timer and have a Craftsman box. I've moved around enough in the industry, and so has my box, so I know the damage that can happen.

I'd rather have $ in my wallet than sitting on the shop floor.

Tools make you the money, not the box.
If the HD box meets your specs, buy it.
If you want a tool truck box, look for used.
I would concentrate on tools while you have access to a student discount.

For years I rocked Craftsman boxes and now am using the ones from Costco of all places. Big box, lots of drawers, tough and cheap.
Nobody has ever spoken ill of any box I owned, but I am an electric motor mechanic and it's a fact that we have less attitude than the combustion boys.
Nice thing about a cheap box is you can mod it to [censored] happily. I would feel sick taking a drill to a $2000 box to mount my socket racks...

A $3000 Matco box is a "Low-Line" box, You might as well buy a Husky box.

As others stated...Tools & Experience make you money...Not a nice tool box.

Another way to look at this is....You really don't know if you will be in this trade very long. I bet less than 10% of people that go to school to be Technicians work more than 5 years in their field (Automotive or Heavy Duty).

Look for a student a semester ahead of you who washed out and buy his box.

With that HD box, you have very little risk invested if you want to upgrade later in your program.

A real serious mechanic will have a least one Kennedy tool box.

LOVE that brown crinkle finish, the felt lined drawers, the script "Kennedy" on the side, no chinky nascar logos... simple and very professional.

The only place I've seen a Kennedy box on display for sale was at the book store when I went to trade school. You can only get them from an industrial supplier. If you have a local industrial supplier, they might just have some stuff on display. I've never seen one for sale in a hardware store. The only other place I would recommend is a pawn shop.

The first thing I look at when a new machinist comes into the factories shop is his toolbox, if it isn't a Gerstner or Kennedy my first impression is "oh no another know nothing button pusher". True about 90% of the time

Last edited:
I would seriously consider trying to NOT get into massive debt with tools, especially from the tools trucks.
Yeah, it's nice to have snap-on, matco, mac, etc.. also gives bragging rights and status, probably even ego and pride.

However, a box.. I'd consider Costco or even (gulp) Harbor Freight. You can get a huge setup for under $800 and it'll be a great starter setup.
for Handtools, I'd splurge for the Mac or snap on. matco makes good stuff, but where I live, matco trucks are few and far between. kinda like they got driven out of town!
when you need something warranted.. you get to wait a while or go hunting for a matco truck.
snap-on, not a problem, Mac.. they're pretty steady.

My uncle was a professional diesel mechanic for 34 years. He was 100% snap-on. His box was a simple bottom and top with a side locker. with good organization, he had everything.
He didn't have a huge giant snap-on box. He didn't need it.
He kept his debt down by not splurging on a huge box. although he could easily afford one, he put his money into the tools and backup tools.
Every single screwdriver, wrench and socket had his initials engraved in them. Yeah, never loan your tools. You're giving literally you livelihood away!

I'm a journeyman UPS semi mechanic. I have a Homak box at work and home. A few guys in my shop have a locking pry bar holder on the side of the box.

Get the good one from HF. Some are cheap, but the larger one is good. Look for double slides on the deeper drawers (say 6") and you know you have found a decent and strong box.

I would try to buy from someone who washed out.

I have a Costco HammerHead box. I love it. very well made and cant beat it being stainless steel. It's been moved plenty over the past ten years and still looks new.

I have been a professional for over 40 years.
My boxes are good ones but not snap on, i have a large SS box (no idea what make, i paid $1500 for it years ago), an old Craftsman black top and bottom and a Hazet top and bottom.
All have ball bearing and locking drawers.

Buy the husky and good tools the box isn't making your living. My boxes are not pretty as some and most of my tools have odd brand names (German) but so what, i don't care what the kids with their new Snap-On stuff think when they look at my Hazet, Gedore, Stahlwille and Dowidat tools like they came out of a Kmart clearance sale.

This will help you make money, it has to be good quality and Hazet is the best. I load it up for the job out of the boxes and roll it around with me.

Leave a middle shelf open for nuts and bolts, i promise you once you have worked with one of these you will never be without one. Well worth the money. Look on ebay for better prices.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/131444034505?lpid=82&chn=ps

And if you still want Mac, Cornwell, Snap-On, or Matco, buy used.
Be picky and patient. Watch Craigslist.
You'll be able to get a nearly new one for less than half the price of new.

I get a sick feeling in my stomach when I see young people building debits before they have earned their first $

Are your trade tools tax deductible in the U.S.?

There should be plenty of time to up-grade as you need, and as you can afford later on. Perhaps at the expense of some sucker that bought the whole Snap-on truck before he decided he did not want to be a mechanic after all.

That Husky is made of very thin metal. Not a bad deal, it is just fine for a homeowner who will leave it in one place, but if it gets moved around much it will rack (twist) and bind. The drawers are fairly limited in the amount of weight they can safely carry.

Your exact situation comes up at least once a year on Garage Journal, it's always the same, Diesel Mechanic school, 50% discount, which brand, which box. Go read the threads there.

The truck brands offer on-site warranty replacement, convenience, and financing, all at amazingly high prices. The student discount is about the only chance you get to beat them at their own game. The only other chance is if they get stuck with a big box on warranty, sale loss, repo, or trade-in. Then you can make a deal.

Originally Posted By: AandPDan
It only matters to your ego.

A lot of new guys I work with have the monster Snap-On boxes. I'm an old timer and have a Craftsman box. I've moved around enough in the industry, and so has my box, so I know the damage that can happen.

I'd rather have $ in my wallet than sitting on the shop floor.

This. Very good advice from Dan and the other replies too. The tools in the box earn your living, not the box itself. Buy a good box that costs less but fits your needs now and in the immediate future. The boxes at Harbor Freight are great quality without the tool truck price. If I needed a new box HF would be the only place I would look. People can say what they want but I have found HF hand tools to be excellent quality. My HF wrenches, ratchets, sockets, extensions, screwdrivers etc. have all held up every bit as well as the Snap-On and Mac tools I own. And you can buy them at fractions of the tool truck cost with their coupons and sales deals.

I see it this way: Don't go crazy buying super-expensive tools and don't go into debt on an expensive box before you even have a job. Buy what you need to get started, buy the least expensive but reasonable quality you can for now. Once you get out of school and get established in a shop and start earning more money as you progress in your career you can buy more tools and maybe pick up the more expensive stuff as you go. Then one day after you are certain this is the career you want you might buy a nicer box from Snappy or the Mac Man and move that first box to your garage at home. For now it is best to be cautious and conservative until you are 110% certain this is the right career path for you. The automotive service business can be a mighty hard way to earn a living and the others here are right on about the guys who drop out of school.

Back