Amsoil Formula 4 Stroke 10W-30/SAE 30 Small Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the oil I use in all my OPE engines. I didn't get a TBN because I change it once a year. Amsoil's website lists the TBN as 8.4

Amsoil_zpsda331f25.jpg

This is an excellent oil, but note that this oil does not contain friction modifiers. This is to maintain compatibility with wet clutches. Apparently, Amsoil assumes this oil may be used in equipment that utilizes wet clutches.

If you want to use a different oil in the Amsoil line that is similarly tough (i.e., little or no Viscosity Index Improver additives, high zinc, etc.) consider using their Z-Rod 10W-30. This is also a very stout oil, but it has friction modifiers, which may provide a slight advantage with fuel economy. However, it cannot be used with wet clutches, and it is a bit more expensive.

Originally Posted By: btanchors
This is an excellent oil, but note that this oil does not contain friction modifiers. This is to maintain compatibility with wet clutches. Apparently, Amsoil assumes this oil may be used in equipment that utilizes wet clutches.

If you want to use a different oil in the Amsoil line that is similarly tough (i.e., little or no Viscosity Index Improver additives, high zinc, etc.) consider using their Z-Rod 10W-30. This is also a very stout oil, but it has friction modifiers, which may provide a slight advantage with fuel economy. However, it cannot be used with wet clutches, and it is a bit more expensive.

That's good to know. Thanks for sharing. Does the lack of friction modifiers hurt in a lawn mower, weed whacker, and power washer?

And because I'm a newbie - how can you tell from this report that there is a lack of friction modifiers? What element(s) constitute friction modifiers?

Nyati,

This is probably a disappointing answer, but I believe it to be correct:

1) The lack of friction modifiers will NOT hurt anything in a lawn mower, weed whacker, power washer, etc. At MOST, you might experience a slight increase in fuel consumption if you do not have friction modifiers. Practically, this difference is probably not measurable outside lab conditions, and is not that big a deal. BUT: We're oil geeks here, and if your equipment doesn't have wet clutches, why not use an oil that maximizes fuel economy?

2) To the best of my knowledge, you cannot tell from a simple UOA whether or not an oil has friction modifiers in it.

Amsoil 4-stroke oil is an excellent choice, your equipment will last forever if it is used and other maintenance is performed as it should be. But the Z-Rod oil MIGHT perform slightly better in terms of fuel consumption, although in normal conditions, the difference is probably not significantly noticable.

I use this stuff in my fantastic running 1991 Toro 5HP 22' Mower.

Thank you for getting these results!
thumbsup2.gif

Quote:
Nyati: And because I'm a newbie - how can you tell from this report that there is a lack of friction modifiers? What element(s) constitute friction modifiers?

Welcome to BITOG and thank you for your service to our great country!

Logic dictates that since OE equipment operates in harsh environments such as high dust, infrequent oil changes, high heat, etc, an OE oil needs a lot of Anti-Wear additive as indicated by ZDDP elements Phos and Zinc in the report.

Fuel consumption is not a major consideration in OE oils, thus little or no friction modifier is needed.

In this case, a small amount of the friction modifier Moly DoTC is used.

Most friction modifiers are purely organic materials and thus are thus not visible in VOAs, but some like Moly or Titanium will show show up in larger amounts in PCMO's to reduce fuel consumption a tad.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back