Would you use a NOS Hastings air filter from 2008?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hastings AF1329 (for a 2006-2011 Civic, provided it isn't a hybrid or Si) (crosses with Fram CA10165, Wix 49065, Purolator A25653)

Made in Korea, green media, made on June 11, 2008 if I'm reading the date code correctly 061108.

Fram used to be made in Korea have green media as well, but they are now white media and made in China like Purolator. The OEM filters are green media and US-made; they used to be yellow on top and green on the bottom, but they are now all-green (I think they're oiled, too, because they come in a sealed plastic bag).

And why do they type black letters on a black piece of plastic?
mad.gif

16106662393_fba631bb86_b.jpg

16539053538_b7b84767d2_b.jpg

16106654613_ce22a14ea3_b.jpg

if no tearing, I'd use it.

Also: the seal is made of some kind of soft, pliable rubber (and not foam rubber) so it can stay soft for a long time.

Q.

Cool! Thanks for the feedback so far!

You can get one on eBay for $10 and free shipping.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Are you sure it isn't from Nov 08 2006?

Yes. hastings date codes

Ten bucks shipped doesn't seem like that great of a deal for what is a old new air filter.
I'd offer less.
What do air filters for this application cost at Walmart?
Fram air filters are usually very good and pretty inexpensive.
I'd have no problems using the filter if it was properly stored, but a seven year old filter should come with a hefty discount, especially since seller no doubt bought a job lot from a distributor for pennies on the dollar.

@fdcg27, true, but of course there is the best offer feature. The more you buy the better offer they'll accept. I mean, they won't give you a single filter for $5 since that won't even cover their costs, but if you want like 10 I'm sure they might be more willing to give you a good deal.

And besides, Rock Auto often has old stock too. The Fram CA10165 costs $13 at Walmart. I had a couple Purolators from clearance from Kmart that I got for $4 (there were two left-I bought both of them)

Originally Posted By: Quest
if no tearing, I'd use it.

Also: the seal is made of some kind of soft, pliable rubber (and not foam rubber) so it can stay soft for a long time.

Q.

Yeah, foam rubber on some air filter didn't lasted very long, about 4-5 years or less.

Mann filter in my E430 had very clean media(because I used Pantyhose pre-filter) after 5 years and 52k miles, but the seal is deteriorated and didn't seal to the air box well. I think with a pliable rubber seal that filter can be used for another 2-3 years and/or 25-30k miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back