Ticking 2008 BMW X3, oil choices?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks,

Apparently this is common with the 3.0 Litre X3 engine in the 3.0Si model.

The engine ticks quite noticeably when it's cold. One it's warm it purrs like a kitten.

I'm currently running Castrol 5w40 which is recommended. It runs nicely on it, and the oil fits the bill.

Has anyone tried other options in this engine and had a change in the ticking? M1 0-40, 5w40, Pennzoil euro etc...?

Apparenlty it's the head design. They say it isn't a defect, but have a mild redesign on the head. I have another year and a half PT warranty. Maybe it's worth taking in at some point.

Thanks for any advice.

Sorry, just realized this is probably in the wrong forum.

Ryan

Last edited:
My watch is ticking - anything to cure this?
-
-
-
I would only (start to consider to) worry if still ticking when fully warm or HOT, not cold. Injectors can be noisy.

What exactly is "ticking"? Lifters? Followers? How loud is it? Can you hear it in the car? A lot of engines have noticeable valve noise, when the hood is open and you're right on top of it. If BMW says it's normal, I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks guys.

It's apparently an exhaust valve lifter design issue. BMW says it's just audible, but wont cause any harm over the life on the engine.

I was just wondering if anyone noticed a difference with a thinner oil.

Originally Posted By: ryan2022
Thanks guys.

It's apparently an exhaust valve lifter design issue. BMW says it's just audible, but wont cause any harm over the life on the engine.

I was just wondering if anyone noticed a difference with a thinner oil.

Read thru this...I had similar problem with my son's 07' 328xi.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3615662/Re:_Cure_for_BMW_N52_Engine_Li#Post3615662

Last edited:
Yeah, the http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3615547/Cure_for_BMW_N52_Engine_Lifter
discussed it.

The Hyperlube (polymer ester) additive works for me. I recently changed my oil (using Castrol Edge) and the ticking is back!!! Now I'm going to add in the Hyperlube again to see if I get the same cure again.

After researching Hyperlube, its my current favorite. Its simply a polymer ester, used with some success to build up a film on the parts at low temperatures, and I'm theorizing that is what cures it. Maybe, right? All I really know is that it stops the infamous BMW ticking.

That ticking is not cool. Mechanical parts slapping together in there. Not catastrophic, but certainly must increase wear rates.

Yeah, that's my thought as well. It might just be audible, not damped quite as well because of air pockets.

I emailed Lubromoly, and will check out Hyperlube as well.

Thanks for the help!

I have GC 0w-30 in my sons now and it is back to sewing machine smooth and quiet. Also he does a lot of short drives, mostly to school which is only 4 miles one way, and the car has managed to keep quiet.

Originally Posted By: typ901
I have GC 0w-30 in my sons now and it is back to sewing machine smooth and quiet. Also he does a lot of short drives, mostly to school which is only 4 miles one way, and the car has managed to keep quiet.

You know other have reported GC 0w-30 helps a lot. (Note that bobbydavro, a "wikileaker Assange-style" (LOL...) on this forum from Australian Castrol I believe, has said that the Walmart Castrol 0w-40 in the bargain 5-quart jugs is essentially the same as GC-Belgian 0w-30 with only minor differences.)

Maybe what's going on with the German-Belgian Castrol 0w-30 and 0w-40 is that something like the Magnatec effect is happening, like what Hyperlube brings to the party.

Originally Posted By: ryan2022
Yeah, that's my thought as well. It might just be audible, not damped quite as well because of air pockets.

I emailed Lubromoly, and will check out Hyperlube as well.

Thanks for the help!

Oil air foaming is though to be the cause of the bleed-down, but make no mistake, that ticking noise is the cam lobes hitting the followers with some violence, not good. Survivable for some time, but not good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back