Amsoil SS 5w30 '10 Silverado 26k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the 2nd change of AMSOIL signature series on this customers vehicle. First time I tested at 16k miles. And changed at 20k.

This time we stretched to 25 was goal but missed and hit 26 and change.. 1 qt top off.

Truck now has 202k miles on it.

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
How much time on this oil? Judging by the rate he racks up miles, I assume about 8 months?

About 6 months I believe..

Originally Posted By: Flareside302
Originally Posted By: Kuato
Drives a LOT! This is where Amsoil SS really shines.

Yep. 55k+ miles per year.

That is insane in a full-size truck...all his $$$ must go to gas!

Outstanding results!

Originally Posted By: zpinch
And the Amsoil bashers go quiet...

Speaking for myself (and I use Amsoil gear oil in both axles of my FX4), I think this is the only UOA I have seen (certainly of late) where Amsoil is actually used for the full 25K as it states it can be. **Most** of the Amsoil UOAs that I recall seeing (and I am sure that I may have missed some) run SSO for sales platform they have. I suspect the "oil nerds" are the ones who know how to easily obtain Amsoil, most of the average Joe's do not and therefore that jug of M1/PP/QSUD/CE/VSP/RP staring at them from the shelves of their local retailer makes it a simple proposition. I had never heard of Amsoil until BITOG (not saying that means anything), but I do not think it is as popular as the aforementioned.

1 qt make up does sort of seem TOO fantastic for 26k miles. I am wondering how much oil these engines burn typically?

Love it! I'm pulling the trigger on Amsoil after my stash of GC. Boron has to be a typo should be more like 234! Was the filter used the whole OCI? if so cut that bad boy open. I'm curious to see that 15k filter with 10k extra miles on it.

As for these engines burning oil my consumes 1/4 qt on 10k OCI with GC 0w30. 1 qt every 25k seems reasonable.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 209paulc
Love it! I'm pulling the trigger on Amsoil after my stash of GC. Boron has to be a typo should be more like 234! Was the filter used the whole OCI? if so cut that bad boy open. I'm curious to see that 15k filter with 10k extra miles on it.

my understanding is the Eaa123 isn't a 15k filter

Filter written on the oil change reminder sticker states a 15k50 was used my understanding from reading other posts regarding Amsoil filters is filters beginning with "15k" are intended for 15k or 1 year OCI

Originally Posted By: 209paulc
Filter written on the oil change reminder sticker states a 15k50 was used my understanding from reading other posts regarding Amsoil filters is filters beginning with "15k" are intended for 15k or 1 year OCI

ah good eye. i had looked on the website for which filter it took- it didn't list a ea15k option so i'm curious now where/ why that choosen?

How different might this UOA have been if the time frame had been, say, two years instead of around six months?

Hmm. I've considered Amsoil but I doubt I'd ever run Signature Series near long enough. It would take me two years (or more!) to rack up 25,000 miles. For peace of mind, I'd have to do a UOA every time I reset the OLM, which would quickly eat up any savings I'd get from doing a 2yr, 25,000 mile interval.

If I drove as much as the guy in the OP, then we might be talking.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4

Speaking for myself (and I use Amsoil gear oil in both axles of my FX4), I think this is the only UOA I have seen (certainly of late) where Amsoil is actually used for the full 25K as it states it can be. **Most** of the Amsoil UOAs that I recall seeing (and I am sure that I may have missed some) run SSO for sales platform they have. I suspect the "oil nerds" are the ones who know how to easily obtain Amsoil, most of the average Joe's do not and therefore that jug of M1/PP/QSUD/CE/VSP/RP staring at them from the shelves of their local retailer makes it a simple proposition. I had never heard of Amsoil until BITOG (not saying that means anything), but I do not think it is as popular as the aforementioned.

Agreed.

If a car is out of warranty and is driven around 20-25k miles a year then Amsoil SS with Fram Ultra oil filter is a good choice. But they still need to have their products on the shelves of retail outlets.

1 qt make up does sort of seem TOO fantastic for 26k miles. I am wondering how much oil these engines burn typically?

my 2004 5.3 uses about 1/2 to 3/4 quart in 5K miles. Definitely severe service on this one, I am tracking to 3100 miles = 0% oil life left

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4

Agreed.

If a car is out of warranty and is driven around 20-25k miles a year then Amsoil SS with Fram Ultra oil filter is a good choice. But they still need to have their products on the shelves of retail outlets.

Why not just stick with a EAO filter? That being said, he should be running an over sized filter on that truck, Amsoil states the filter as a 15k merely because it is a small filter. I don't understand this down sizing of oil filters on newer vehicles... back in the day a Honda Civic used a filter that would be used on a V8 today.

Instead of running EA15K50 filter, why not run the EAO17? Both filter internals are the same except the EAO17 is bigger. EA15K50 is the PF48 equivalent while the EAO17 is the PF63 equivalent. You can use the EAO17 filter in place of the smaller EA15K50 with no issues. With that long of an OCI, the bigger filter would carry one added benefit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back