Acura TL 3.7L oil experiment 3K update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought I would repost this in a new thread since so much time elapses between entries.

To review:

This has the 3.7 L engine which is known for oil consumption issues.
For the first 49K I have used all manner of 5W-20 (the authorized NA spec) synthetic oil (Mobil 1, Redline, Pennzoil Platinum and Ultra). Oil use has been 1 QT per 4K miles increasing to 1 QT per 2K miles. The dealer and Acura did an oil consumption test and deemed my car normal.

Changed the PCV valve and that reduced the oil consumption back to 1 QT per 4K (a story for another thread)

In researching this 3.7L engine, I noted that in the UK, Germany, Scandinavia and Australia the recommended viscosity is 0W-30 and 0W-40! I decided to do my own experiment and use 0W-40 Castrol Edge (German manufacture) and see what happened to oil consumption. I know it is still under warranty, etc so no chastisement, please.

So far, it is using oil at a rate of 1 QT per 8K miles!. Still early in the experiment so no conclusions yet. No changes in engine noise. This engine seems to run smooth and quiet on all oils. Remarkably, no change in fuel economy. Maybe the lower viscosity at start up makes up for the higher viscosity when warm.

I now have 3K miles on this oil change. Engine runs perfectly smooth and quiet. Oil consumption does not appear linear or it is just difficult to read the dip stick accurately since it has no calibrations. The oil level is a little below the 1/2 way mark. I am estimating the end result will be closer to 1 QT per 5K miles. Big improvement over the start point but not as great as I was hoping. Will keep you updated at 4K. Stay tuned.

Good for you in using something that works with YOUR car and doing the due-diligence on it.
Keep us posted.
No idea why Honda had to screw up their perfectly-good V6's with VCM and oil consumption issues.
I don't add ANYTHING over 6k changes in my 3.5 2008.

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
Good for you in using something that works with YOUR car and doing the due-diligence on it.
Keep us posted.
No idea why Honda had to screw up their perfectly-good V6's with VCM and oil consumption issues.
I don't add ANYTHING over 6k changes in my 3.5 2008.

It is case specific. I have a near identical 3.7 in 07 MDX(129k) and my brother has 12 MDX(39k) with 3.7 V6 and they don't burn a readable amount of oil on the dipstick in 6k miles either.

Glad something is working out for OP!

Originally Posted By: MajorCavalry
Remarkably, no change in fuel economy. Maybe the lower viscosity at start up makes up for the higher viscosity when warm.

The difference in fuel consumption going from 5w-20 to a 0w-30 or 40 is always in the range of about 1% to 2% just from viscosity changes. The GF-5 low-friction mandate helps too, for about 0.5% or so. Simple physics really, unavoidable and always there, even when we don't notice it. And, a good 5w-20 synthetic is going to have a lower startup viscosity than any 0w-30 or 0w-40 at temperatures above zero deg F.

Last edited:
Edge 0w-40 is great oil! Currently using in my Ecoboost F150 and she likes it. With fuel dilution being a fact of life with these things , a little extra viscosity couldn't hurt ....

Glad to hear it's working for you. 1 quart every 5k is more reasonable and easier to deal with. Did you give any thought to trying a HM oil before going to the 40wt?

Originally Posted By: sicko
Glad to hear it's working for you. 1 quart every 5k is more reasonable and easier to deal with. Did you give any thought to trying a HM oil before going to the 40wt?

I tend to think of high mileage oils for their ability to improve seals with conditioners. I don't think of a TL with 51K as high mileage. What properties would help with oil consumption? (Not a dig, I just don't know)

Thank you all for your commentary on my little experiment, but all good things must come to an end.

I finally reached the 1 qt down mark. Mileage was 4,537 miles. Not nearly what I thought it was going to be, but much better than 1 qt per 2K miles that it was. I guess a better than 50% reduction in consumption is significant.

Over this mileage, I have noticed no difference in gas mileage in comparison with the 5W-20 synthetic I was using. Motor minder is at 50%. I will be changing the oil at 5K and trying another run of Castrol Edge 0W-40 for the summer months and see how the oil consumption compares.

I have found the engine to be exceptionally quiet and smooth with the Castrol, but I really had no complaints with the 5W-20.

Originally Posted By: MajorCavalry

I finally reached the 1 qt down mark. Mileage was 4,537 miles. Not nearly what I thought it was going to be, but much better than 1 qt per 2K miles that it was. I guess a better than 50% reduction in consumption is significant.

wait, didn't you say you went from 1/2000 to 1/4000 by just PCV change?

LOL (at myself!!)

I forgot completely about the PCV valve change! Different conclusion. 0w-40 made little or no difference. I will continue to use it, though. Since I believe 5W-20 was strictly for EPA certification I think 0w-40 will provide better protection. Lower viscosity at start up and greater film thickness at operating temps.

Has it used oil from the beginning? I used to own a 2009 TL 3.7L that I traded around 40k miles. Did 10K OCIs with all but 1 OCI(red line 5w20) with RP 5w30 and it never burned a drop. I did break in the car hard though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back