2004 Murcielago, Motorcraft 5W-20 with 1,000 mi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jk_636
You put motorcraft in a murcielago?? Not even a full synthetic? Wow. Very interesting. it seems that this application would benefit best from a fully synthetic, high grade oil. Don't get me wrong, I use motorcraft all the time, but a car like this deserves a royal purple, Amsoil, etc.

Ford probably used motorcraft in their Ford GT.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
You adding ZDP? - the Phos is out of range for ILSAC GF limit (800PPM).

I noticed that as well and asked Ali about it but haven't heard back. Almost 1,000 ppm of phos doesn't make any sense as MC 5W-20 is in the 600 ppm range and the prior RLI 0W-20 is not high.

It was an interesting experiment and I'm sure any name brand 5W-20 dino would have given similar results.

It's worth noting that the oil pressure was, not surprisingly, low at maximum oil temp's of 225F. Ali is braver than I am; nevertheless, the results for normal street driving speak for themselves.

Originally Posted By: shinyWheels
You put motorcraft in a murcielago?? Not even a full synthetic? Wow. Very interesting. it seems that this application would benefit best from a fully synthetic, high grade oil. Don't get me wrong, I use motorcraft all the time, but a car like this deserves a royal purple, Amsoil, etc.

They probably just used Supertech oil and a Fram OCOD....just kidding.

But seriously, if they used Motorcarft it was the full synthetic line for sure.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: shinyWheels

Yup, Motorcraft 5w-50.

Engines that see a varying load and ambient temps, must have the ability to endure conditions more intense than commonly driven. Performance cars, particularly those with high horsepower that are designed with potential track usage, have viscosity and cooling ability beyond city streets putting. Possibly the viscosity of MC 5W20 in light use is greater than a 5W50 during a hot day track run. The engine may be better lubricated during warm up phase with the 5W20 also.

Mighty big if, but I'd run something at least as exotic as M1 0W40 if I had one of these. Likely superfluous since this engine will likely never wear out on MC 5W20.

ledslinger, you're absolutely right and it's called operational viscosity.
High performance cars have so much excess cooling capacity to get rid of the heat when driven flat out including in the case of the Murcielago a whopping 14 quart sump that the real issue driven normally on the street is getting the oil even up to low normal operating temp's much of the time. So yes using a 0W/5W-20 will provide more efficient lubrication under such conditions.
The key is to match the viscosity grade to the conditions that will be encountered.
Fortunately, the Lambo' comes with oil pressure and oil temp' gauges so that the informed owner can monitor things so that there really is no risk in running something lighter.

From an old post:

This is a 2004 Lamborghini Murcielago, delivered Jan ‘04. It is reported to be delivered with Agip 5W-40 synthetic oil. About 2 months after delivery at 575 miles I changed the oil to 0W-30 Mobil 1. There was a valve click that disappeared and the whole engine got quiet after this first oil change. Unfortunately I tore the aluminum dry sump oil tank while trying to pry off the drain plug. It was repaired with adhesive.

In Dec ‘04 I had the dealership replace the oil tank and lines (a big job) while the car was also in for some other warrantee tweaks. The car mileage was 2,700 at that time. The oil was changed with the 0W-30 again. After driving 300 miles and again after adding 900 more miles I tested the oil (two left columns).

___Mobil 1 with 300 miles ___with 1,200 miles. This oil was dumped at 4,200 total car mi.
___The last column (right) is Red Line 5W-20, put in when the car had 4,200 mi. and at this analysis has 6,200 mi.

....................300 mi.M1......1,200 mi.M1......2,000 mi.Red Line....
................................................................................................................
Iron___________ 6_________10_________7
Chromium _____ Nickel ________ 2__________3__________2
Aluminum ______ 5_________5__________9
lead __________ 1_________ Copper ________60________92__________51
Tin ___________ Silver ________ Titanium ______ Silicon ________ 6___________5__________5
Boron ________217_________197________29
Sodium _______ 9__________10_________12
Potassium ____ Molybdenum __ 112_________87_________505
Phosphorus __1242________ 1007_______1265
Zinc ________ 1232________1175________1329
Calcium _____ 3035________2384________2773
Barium ______ Magnesium ____ 44_________40_________17
Antimony _____ Vanadium _____ Fuel %Vol _____1.0_________2.5_________0
Abs Oxid ______26_________44__________
Abs Nitr _______9__________10__________
Wtr %vol ______0___________0__________0
Vis CS 100C __ 9.3________9.3_________9.4
SAE Grade ____30_________20__________
Gly test ______NEG_______Neg_________Neg
TBN _________not done___not done____not done

FTIR: soot-19, Sulf-0, Oxid-1475, Nitr-38

Particles: >5 -34,914 >10 -4,730 >15 -159 >20 -36 >25 -18 >50 -4 >75 -1 >100 -1

Ferrous debris - 13, ISO code - 22/14, PVi-particle volume - 5

I tested the Mobil 1 oil using this company: www.youroil.net
Go to this page and download this Excel file to see other peoples results: http://members.rennlist.com/oil/
The Red Line oil went to Butler/CAT. I sent the results to Terry at Dyson to review.

aehaas

Originally Posted By: yannis
Originally Posted By: AEHaas
Flash - 250

Any comments on this one?

Yes. The car was only driven around town, never got warm enough to burn off any fuel that got into the oil. This analysis showed the oil can handle a lot of dilution without loss of viscosity. Also there was a lot of water in the oil. It is nearly 100 percent humidity here most of the time and the oil just ran too cool.

aehaas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back