Sad Toyota ... Really Sad. Not like the ol days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of the Toyota s I have owned have been from the 80's era, and 22R Trucks at that (Never had any issues, I drive an 84 to this day as a daily driver)

However the wife has a 2009 Matrix 1.8 Auto that has been totally reliable (but boring) as a Grocery getter.

Other friends have a Yaris, (year?) also totally reliable.
and a 2000 Camry 4cyl that has been used and abused but never missed a beat.

We have had a recall on the Matrix for the door switches. but we have not responded. I believe 'If it an't broke, don't fix it'
It has not been to the dealership since we bought it.

If V8 Gas Guzzlers are your thing. You probably don't like Toyota's
But if you have never owned one, I don't think you can really comment on their reliability.

Originally Posted By: expat
But if you have never owned one, I don't think you can really comment on their reliability.

Why plenty of folks do here all the time even if they have not owned a particular model or have not owned one in over 10 years. At any rate...

5b7e0fdd39178dc8d4148618607fc96fb8908a1ea62c0411.jpg

Originally Posted By: expat
Most of the Toyota s I have owned have been from the 80's era, and 22R Trucks at that (Never had any issues, I drive an 84 to this day as a daily driver)

However the wife has a 2009 Matrix 1.8 Auto that has been totally reliable (but boring) as a Grocery getter.

Other friends have a Yaris, (year?) also totally reliable.
and a 2000 Camry 4cyl that has been used and abused but never missed a beat.

We have had a recall on the Matrix for the door switches. but we have not responded. I believe 'If it an't broke, don't fix it'
It has not been to the dealership since we bought it.

If V8 Gas Guzzlers are your thing. You probably don't like Toyota's

I've seen plenty of Toyota trucks with blown head gaskets from the 80s-90s. About the big engine thing, my fullsize Chevy gets the same mileage as a friends Tacoma. Less problems too.

I was sure GM caught up to Toyota when they brought out the 2003 Saturn ION. I was wrong, and it was one of the biggest regrets of my whole life. People with the Toyota Corolla from the same year had far fewer problems than I did.

Originally Posted By: philipp10
and I have seen the excuses going the other way too. Lots of people seem to have amnesia when it comes to their own cars repairs. I've seen people claim head gaskets are a maintenence item...

Only on Toyota V6 engines!

Well this thread is a good ol' fashioned bash fest. I don't think there has been one fact posted!
39.gif

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Well this thread is a good ol' fashioned bash fest. I don't think there has been one fact posted!
39.gif

Fact: my Toyota is a pleasant car to drive

Put into context, quality of vehicles as whole are constantly getting better regardless of brand. One just has to search the JD Powers initial and long term defect surveys and see even the low scoring cars and brands of today are still way better than they were 10-15 years ago when scored defects per 100 vehicles.

THe Camry is built in the US and contains more USA made parts than most of the "big three' offerings. Where are Chrysler Fiat V8 engines built? Where do the "profits" go.?

Originally Posted By: Quest
Originally Posted By: zach1900
Toyota could build you a 1992 Camry 4cyl today, but it would cost over $30,000USD today.

LOL, and that 1992 camry 4cyl won't meet/pass current emissions standards and NHTSA 2014 collision requirements.

Q.
Neither would anything Generous Motors built then, and they weren't cheap to purchase. There are still a bunch of those Gen 3 Camrys on the road. GMs?

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
THe Camry is built in the US and contains more USA made parts than most of the "big three' offerings. Where are Chrysler Fiat V8 engines built? Where do the "profits" go.?

A lot of people cherry pick a couple Toyota models that have a high US percentage and claim they're more American than brand X domestic, but you have to look at the entire lineup. The Dodge Avenger was the most American made car last time I checked, and they use union labor, which sets the high standards. There are a lot of Toyota models that have next to nothing American parts in them also.

Originally Posted By: Quest
Originally Posted By: zach1900
Toyota could build you a 1992 Camry 4cyl today, but it would cost over $30,000USD today.

LOL, and that 1992 camry 4cyl won't meet/pass current emissions standards and NHTSA 2014 collision requirements.

Q.
Neither would anything Generous Motors built then, and they weren't cheap to purchase. There are still a bunch of those Gen 3 Camrys on the road. GMs?

I just worked on an old Cavalier the other day with 200K+ miles on it.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12

A lot of people cherry pick a couple Toyota models that have a high US percentage and claim they're more American than brand X domestic, but you have to look at the entire lineup. The Dodge Avenger was the most American made car last time I checked, and they use union labor, which sets the high standards. There are a lot of Toyota models that have next to nothing American parts in them also.

You don't have to cherry pick models to make that statement, it's about half their line-up.

The Sienna, Avalon, Camry, Highlander, and Tundra are all American assembled vehicles with a high percentage of parts sourced in the United States.

You might not want to brag about the Avenger. It's generally considered the most miserable car in it's segment, so that high bar that the unions are setting seems to be pretty easily exceeded with non union labor.

Also, Chrysler is a terrible example because they're no longer a domestic brand. They're owned by an Italian company that recently relocated to the UK. So they're a British company. Chrysler is no more American than Toyota USA, as they're both owned by companies based elsewhere.

I just worked on an old Cavalier the other day with 200K+ miles on it.

You can work on any car(any brand) indefinitely and add miles in to the 300k-400k range. Not exactly meaningful as you have no idea of the history of a vehicle before of maintenance, repairs, and driving style. Maybe it was towed behind an RV for 150k
smile.gif

Plenty of old cars from all brands. The top sellers seem to be the ones you see because of sheer volume of sales makes likelyhood of one still existing out there.

Originally Posted By: Mykl

You don't have to cherry pick models to make that statement, it's about half their line-up.

The Sienna, Avalon, Camry, Highlander, and Tundra are all American assembled vehicles with a high percentage of parts sourced in the United States.

You might not want to brag about the Avenger. It's generally considered the most miserable car in it's segment, so that high bar that the unions are setting seems to be pretty easily exceeded with non union labor.

Also, Chrysler is a terrible example because they're no longer a domestic brand. They're owned by an Italian company that recently relocated to the UK. So they're a British company. Chrysler is no more American than Toyota USA, as they're both owned by companies based elsewhere.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2013/04/21/the-truth-about-american-made-vehicles.aspx

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2013/04/21/the-truth-about-american-made-vehicles.aspx

Except that Toyota Motor Sales USA is based in the United States. It is a company which is independent of, although owned by, the Toyota Motor Corporation which is located in Japan.

Fiat-Chrysler Automobiles is headquartered in LONDON, with a subsidiary branch in Michigan. The relationship between those two companies is very similar to the relationship between Toyota Motor Sales USA and Toyota Motor Corporation.

This is a fun fact your article completely omits.

If Toyota Motor Sales USA can't be an American brand, then neither can Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, or Ram.

Funny how this thread is running concurrently with one that lists these vehicles, ones that no one wants to own or work on they are such design abortions:

"Tied at the top of this list, with a score of 88.5 out of a 100, were the Buick Enclave, Chevy Traverse, and GMC Acadia, which were all made in Michigan."

"Our auto industry supports nearly 8 million U.S. jobs" ... he's including foreign makes here (like Honda, Toyota and FCA).

Honda does most of its non-engine R&D in the US, my Louisiana Pilot was designed here by Americans, as is the Ohio made vehicles.

The article also trades on the idea that GM is still huge. By the time the article was written, that was no longer true, and given the thread I started about GM versus Toyota sales... probably won't be true again for a long time.

The early 2013 article also completely ignores the JD Powers and Consumer Reports (and everyone else's) results, year after year, putting Japanese marques at the top in both customer satisfaction and reliability.

All in all a very slanted article trying to buck the obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back