Question on Amsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I'm fortunate enough to live near a great dealer. I keep reading about how expensive Amsoil is and wondering why those comments are being made. They have several tiers of oils to choose from with different price points.

I agree with aquariuscsm on the gear and transmission lubes. As far as oils, there are so many great oils available to you. I'm running castrol 0w-40 in all my fleet at present but switching over to Amsoil 0w-40. I don't know if it's better or not.

A hot topic with lots of opinions. After using it here's mine. No, I don't think it's worth it. But as always opinions vary.

It may be worth it if people would leave the oil in their engine until it was worn out but most people won't do that. If you are going to change out the Amsoil at 4,500 miles you may as well have used a store brand conventional oil.

For longer drains and by being a preferred customer I feel better about using it. If you're not doing over 10k intervals it's prob not worth the extra cost. The specialty oils for small engines etc I do think it's worth using

I've never used it, but from everything I've seen Amsoil is an excellent oil. However, because most people don't take advantage of the extended drain intervals, I don't think that it makes sense financially.

If you were going to use a more affordable quality synthetic such as QSUD, and run it for a reasonable OIC (obviously the term "reasonable" varies by the vehicle, driving style, commute type, etc), I believe your vehicle would last just as long as if you had used Amsoil.

Engine oils and vehicle engineering have advanced so much, that as long as you're not running it past the abilities of the oil, it's very very unlikely that you'll ever have an engine problem caused by the lack of the oil's ability to protect.

But if you can get Amsoil at a decent price, and run it for extended drains, then it can definitely become financially worth it. I know I'm planning to get some Amsoil gear oil to put in my differentials the next time I do a drain and fill because I don't know when I'll get a chance to change it again, and I believe in Amsoil's ability to last for a long time.

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
It may be worth it if people would leave the oil in their engine until it was worn out but most people won't do that. If you are going to change out the Amsoil at 4,500 miles you may as well have used a store brand conventional oil.

This, if you follow the instructions, the cost/mile is usually less vs conventional, plus labor, plus all of the benefits of synthetic fluids.

Originally Posted By: sicko
I've never used it, but from everything I've seen Amsoil is an excellent oil. However, because most people don't take advantage of the extended drain intervals, I don't think that it makes sense financially.

X3 now.

We are awash in 5-6k Mobil 1 UOA's even here. It is common to see guys on Jeep forum changing Mobil 1 or something similar every 3k! What a waste. Not a lot of benefit in syns if the biggest advantage (longer drains) is not utilized.

If you are actually going to run it the appropriate interval Amsoil would be a fine choice IMO.

There are different levels of Amsoil product performance and cost - you can choose the one that suits your OCI and driving records. The Signature product appear to be some of the finest fluids on the market - and they have specialized product for those special applications that appear to be formulated and work as advertised.

I haven't found a source or I try it in my wife's Forester for a convenient 2x annual oci - or better.

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis

As one who only does 10K OCIs I agree that 4500 miles is not gaining another advantage of synthetic. However there is always other advantages to using a quality synthetic, like Amsoil, in sound engines.

I agree with many above. I used to use it exclusively when driving a lot but then when I discovered Wal-Mart prices I've gone there.
Now that my cars are off warranty and I'm not driving, I may review their newer product offerings and go back for 1-year OCI's.

Hello, I'm with sicko in terms of using a good quality synthetic with "regular" OCI's.
The oil capacity of my car is 6.1 qt. Mixing is inevitable.

I'm under the impression mixing oils obscures the "additive's condition" test and having detailed UOA results is the only way I'd ever consider extending an OCI and thus justify any of these oil's premium.

Add to that two things:
A) I have an "Out with the old, in with the new" way of looking at black, smelly oil.
B) Given all the talk about micron ratings of filters and that 10 to 20 micron particles are the damage-doers, I've found myself thinking about installing a bypass filter as the smarter way to go.
Think about it. Super Oil carrying 10 to 20 micron particles. Ironic, no?

I also bought Amsoil gear lubes when I did my sister's Jeep at 150K. Kira

I decided to give it a try and it is currently in my Frontier with about 4500 miles on the OCI. Being honest as I possibly can, I cant tell a difference between this oil and the other much less costly brands, such as havoline, Valvoline, etc. I have tried most of them, all seem to be pretty good. My only reason for wanting to try amsoil this go around was maybe taking it out to the max 7500 (warranty), but I am realizing that I get the itch to put fresh oil in around the 5K mark to play it safe (dusty conditions here in the coal region of VA) lol.

My truck doesn't see the advertised mpg improvement that I can tell. As far as wear, I don't know, I don't doubt that it does well in that department..........but I also do not doubt that the others do equally well.

I will probably stick with Valvoline/Napa Synthetic from this point on, I got a little better mpg's with Valvoline synpower in the sump than any I have used and it seems to lubricate my timing chain setup a little better on cold starts, plus Napa can be had for a great price point and Valvoline is sometimes 21-22$ for 5 quart jugs at walmart. I would maybe like to try Magnetec (spelling?) but I have a good little pile of Napa Synthetic to use up in 5w30 and 10w30 flavor (for summer).

I doubt the smaller companies have the R&D facilities that Mobile and Shell have. I like Sam Adams, but Yuengling is as good at a lesser price.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
For the transmission and gear oils it is. I've never tried the engine oil though.

+1 on the ATF and gear oils. (4 stroke OPE oil also only because I am ordering the other stuff). For normal motor oil, I can find oil at Walmart that is on par with Amsoil.

It makes sense to use Amsoil or Red Line for your transmission and differential(s) because the oil might be better and the cost difference is so little when you consider that they are not changed that often.

For engine oil, you make your choice and live with it. The fact that you are paying attention has to be good for your engine as well. Just don't forget the rest of the routine maintenance including other stuff like the cooling system, brakes and tire pressures.

Originally Posted By: pm125
Is it really worth the difference in money to buy Amsoil

As stated earlier, you don't have to get the Signature Series to get good results. I've performed UOAs with the other tiers of Amsoil on the Grand Cherokee I used to have and they were just as good as SS. I was in WM the other day, and M1 5 quart was $26. I can get 5 quarts of Amsoil OE for less, or about the same including shipping to my door so the answer is.....

Yes. Our Wrangler at 180k miles, Amsoil since 20k, with OCIs as long as 12000 miles.

EwBb45r.jpg

The Wrangler had a new head gasket put on at 165k. I didn't have the opportunity to take pictures, but the technician that did the work said the internals were, and I quote, "spotless".

All that said, with M1 or many other synthetics, you will probably get similar results. However if you're going to extend your OCI way out, then Amsoil SS is the one to get and will save you $$ over time.

Last edited:
Personally i would by a good oil off the shelf before i would consider amsoil you can get high mileage from just about any oil these days what are you looking for in an oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back