Vortec 8.1L Oil Pressure/Filter question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

Oil temp probably varies a LOT more than you realize, since its not thermostatically regulated like coolant temp. My SRT has an oil-to-water oil cooler that will actually warm the oil when the oil temp is significantly below coolant temp, and an oil temperature option in the digital display area of the dash. But even with that setup I still see the oil temp vary by ~20 degrees summer vs. winter, and even more gentle cruising vs. hard driving. A whole lot of oil cooling occurs through the surface of the oil sump on any vehicle, and in really cold weather it can dominate the oil temperature.

As I mentioned earlier, the data I've collected showed only ~6 PSI difference in oil pressure at 2500 RPM when the oil was 125 deg F (56 psi) vs 210 deg F (50 psi). You would think it would be more, but it's not in my case (Mobil 1, 5W-30 full synthetic).

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
I don't know what "myth" you are referring to and if you believe that restrictive filters don't exist and every filter is created the exact same flow wise then all the power to you.

There will be some flow difference between filter, but it's going to boil down to just +/- a few PSI pressure drop difference. When Filter A has a 3 PSI drop and Filter B has a 6 PSI drop, the engine is not going to see any difference in oil flow due to the positive displacement oil pump if it's in good shape.

Now some of the new cars that have the "variable displacement" oil pump or some weird oil pump that controls the source pressure all the time might see an effect on the engine oil pressure and flow. But I'm thinking 99.5% of all the cars on the road still use a good old fashion positive displacement oil pump.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I don't know what "myth" you are referring to and if you believe that restrictive filters don't exist and every filter is created the exact same flow wise then all the power to you.

There will be some flow difference between filter, but it's going to boil down to just +/- a few PSI pressure drop difference. When Filter A has a 3 PSI drop and Filter B has a 6 PSI drop, the engine is not going to see any difference in oil flow due to the positive displacement oil pump if it's in good shape.

Now some of the new cars that have the "variable displacement" oil pump or some weird oil pump that controls the source pressure all the time might see an effect on the engine oil pressure and flow. But I'm thinking 99.5% of all the cars on the road still use a good old fashion positive displacement oil pump.

That's right. A positive displacement pump moves the same volume of oil per revolution no matter what grade the oil is and no matter what kind of media the filter uses. The only change is in the pressure of the oil,not the volume.
A variable displacement pump reduces drag because at higher rpm it will pump a consistent volume instead of increasing when it's not necessary thereby saving fuel and less parasitic loss from the engine which translates to more wheel hp

if you read my posts you would see not only do i have an oil gauge that does not lie i also have ears that are trained in listening to engines for something like 35 years because that is all i do and my expertise is well regarded in engine land and also in the courts of not only New Jersey but other courts as well. If i say i feel it is restricted by the way an engine operates or sounds then i believe it to be so if you have any thoughts otherwise then so be it no shirt off my back. I also have a number of other things at my disposal but i don't need those things. I am installing the ultra on my vehicle and i will determine if i will use it again. I don't know what "myth" you are referring to and if you believe that restrictive filters don't exist and every filter is created the exact same flow wise then all the power to you. I post my beliefs as i see them i don't usually argue on an internet forum because sometimes it just gets old fast.

Sir - most of us here have some form of engine/auto/equipment experience. This is a lube site and by extension, most here consider themselves to be well versed in "experience". Yours is no more or less important than mine, or Zee's, or anyone else. What NJ courts have to do with this I have no idea ... I don't even know how to decipher your implication here, whatever it may be.

Your "gage" statement does not lend credibility because you've not well defined what you use and how it's calibrated, etc. Vehicle dash "gages" are NOT a good source for oil pressure readings; they are often manipulated in terms of response curve.

You are correct in one statement; you "feel" that a filter is "restricted". However, your emotional state is belied by real data from credible sources like the filter makers. You are completely entitled to your opinion; no one here is going to take that away from you. But your "opinion" can be challenged by we who believe differently. We can put up facts and data to counter your emotions and subjective (and as yet unstated) criteria.

The "myth" I refer to is that PureOne filters are "too restrictive".
If you'd bother to review Zee's data,
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...451#Post1619451
you'll see that even in an extreme application (full WOT rpm conditions for his 'Vette), the PureOne filter would flow approximately 2x more oil than would be required to lift the BP from it's seat. And in a "normal" application (typical engine with day-to-day ops) there is NEVER going to be a case where the filter is too restrictive, regardless of brand or tier purchased. Even Jim Allen's data showed that with cold starts and high-rpm blips, the BP valve will typically only open for a fraction of a second, and then the system will "balance" across the media. That is the most extreme case and it is RARE to happen; he had to purposely cause a condition that would otherwise make a BITOGer's head explode by going WOT upon cold start, just to get the BP to lift off the seat!

I don't want to hear your rhetoric as to how you "feel" about the PureOne; I already get where you're coming from. What I am asking for is real hard data that would lend credibility to your claim. If you want me to believe your position is correct, then please show us data from credible sources that would establish a solid foundation for your claims. There is nothing wrong with you stating an opinion; that's OK here. But we, too, have opinions. Mine (and others) are based upon solid data from filter manufacturers and other industry sources. We use real factual information to come to an objective conclusion only after reviewing all available data. I see very credible info in both Jim and Zee's data. I see nothing you've put forth other than opinions and some attempt to sway me into the land of NJ courts, for whatever that may be worth ...

I never claimed that all filters are made the same or respond identically. What I state is that the performance parameters for most any commercially available filter used in the correct application will afford a WIDE margin of safety when it comes to flow and filtration efficiency. THAT is what I claim to be true, and is backed up with credible data from multiple sources. Therefore, the debate about which filter is "best", or conversely too "restrictive", is pure hogwash and meaningless. I wholeheartedly agree that there will always be a filter at the top of some flow rating, and also one at the bottom. But what you don't seem to understand is that they ALL typically possess WAY MORE than enough capacity for flow that the entire topic is moot!

AS for the variable displacement pumps, I'll say this. They are fairly new to the market, and they are typically seen in very efficient applications where fuel economy is king. But they are conceptually engineered to provide a drop in flow as the rpm reaches some predetermined limit. Once there is "enough" flow, then "more" is not needed. Because they can tailor the pump pressure curve, they can reduce parasitic draw. This was done with P/S pumps for a while, and then they are now going electric. It would not surprise me if, in the future, the engine lube pump goes electric so that it, too, can provide only what is "needed", rather than just be a positive parasitic draw at all times as rpm increases.

Last edited:
I see all the data and data is good in some cases but some "data" is driven by agenda's and could be flawed, i read what is presented but make my own final judgement, like i said in previous posts i feel the pureone is restrictive because the few engines i used them on acted differently on startup by not only sound but by looking at my mechanical oil gauges it took longer to go up on all starts, another thing to look at is all engine manufactures sell an oil filter that flows very well on their engines because the people who build them from scratch has millions of dollars in research behind their decisions on what to put on that motor they are building. physics tells me for the most part that in general if something filters better there has to be some restriction. If i came off a little strong on my last post i apologize. I understand that different media has slightly different flow rates or i should say that is what i am told. So far i believe Motorcraft filters were a good choice for fords and mopars were good for Mopar engines (until purolater the maker of both became known as tearolater) I believe filtration is important but overall flow is the most important because like i said before dirty oil lubricates better than no oil at all. I will continue later if i feel up to it.. I am coming down with what feels like the flu so i am signing off for a while.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I see zero difference in oil pressure using many different oil filter brands/models.

That's been my experience too, so thought it was odd that oil pressure would be low and then have it go back to normal after a filter change.

I posted the Blackstone report here. I thought I had changed to synthetic earlier, but I was still running Valvoline at 140k miles.

I see all the data and data is good in some cases but some "data" is driven by agenda's and could be flawed, ....

I doubt either Zee's data or Jim's data is flawed.
I would presume that Purolator's lab had a good test rig system for their flow data in regard to Zee's direct question.
I personally know Jim and after questioning him about his gage system, it's accurate to a degree WELL past any dash gage.

Just where would you find an "agenda" in their data?

Last edited:
Monday i am installing a Fram Ultra xg2 on a 2001 ford 3.0 v6 I wanted to look up the oil pressure on that engine and compare it with a 4.6 before i left the shop but i left early because im feeling like i have a bad cold or a flu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back