Should you tell a customer what's wrong or just ho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jk_636
OP you have to know your target audience, and in the long run, honest business practices will lead to success. There is so much competition out there that if you set yourself apart by doing a thorough job and make people feel like your cutting them a "break" or giving them a "deal" you will develop lifelong customers.

This is the amazing thing, with all the competition out there it is literally a needle in a haystack to find "that guy". I still haven't found em. Instead the only thing I have encountered is the
clown that wants to make a quick buck and doesn't care about long term customers. Honestly there must be less than 2% of mechanics that care about such things as honesty, competence, and developing long term customers that can trust and then are willing to spend more money with that shop and tech.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
OP you have to know your target audience, and in the long run, honest business practices will lead to success. There is so much competition out there that if you set yourself apart by doing a thorough job and make people feel like your cutting them a "break" or giving them a "deal" you will develop lifelong customers.

This is the amazing thing, with all the competition out there it is literally a needle in a haystack to find "that guy". I still haven't found em. Instead the only thing I have encountered is the
clown that wants to make a quick buck and doesn't care about long term customers. Honestly there must be less than 2% of mechanics that care about such things as honesty, competence, and developing long term customers that can trust and then are willing to spend more money with that shop and tech.

I trust mechanics about as much as I trust dentists and lawyers. It took me years to find a good mechanic, but the guy I use now is very helpful and honest and after years of being a customer, he will let me actually help him work on my vehicle, while teaching me, instead of me just constantly hovering over his shoulder. I still pay for it mind you, but it is more than just a repair, it is a lesson in auto repair!

keep doing it that way and you will be out of buisness real quick. tell him there is a fee for looking at it. your knowledge cost money. Same as a attorney. if he does not want to pay it let him walk. you need paying customers. be honest and it will get around,but dont do things for free.

people that read forums like this are not the average guy. plenty of people out there that would pay to get things fixed. they might be a great computer programmer,but motors are little different.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tegger
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
inform potential customer that there will be diagnostic fee if he/she doesn't have you repair it, but the fee is waived if the repair is done by you.

+1

We just recently had a thread where some guy was complaining about the unreasonable charge the dealer wanted to read the codes behind his Check Engine light. Well, THIS thread shows why.

I would never pay someone to read my check engine light. Not when any auto parts store will do it for free. I would imagine that if you want the business, there may be times where you should do a preliminary diagnosis for free.

The whole reason why I bought a scan tool is because of arsehole mechanics. They wanted to charge me $75 just to read an ABS code (parts stores only do CEL codes, not ABS, SRS, Transmission etc.) I was so disgusted that instead of paying him, I went to HF and payed $120 (tax inclusive) for a scanner that will read, diagnose, clear etc. all CEL, ABS, SRS and tranny codes. I ended up fixing the problem myself and got a new tool in the process. If he would have scanned it he would have found out it was a bad brake fluid level sensor and made a lot more than $75 on the repair. Instead, he wound up with nothing. I dont work as a professional mechanic, just giving you a customers perspective OP.

[censored] mechanics? Yeah, how dare they charge to diagnose your vehicle... You do realize that they don't have $120.00 scan tools to pay for, right? Theirs will run from $5000.00 for a machine like mine, to 10s of thousands of dollars, depending on setup and licences. How is a wrench to pay for that? You also realize that your $120.00 scan tool read the ABS, SRS and so on, but it likely won't read ALL codes. Some codes are "manufacturer specific" and to provide access to them the scan tool manufacturer has to pay the OEM. That $120.00 machine also falls short in diagnosing due to lack of data pids and bi-directional controls. Then after the machine is bought and running, many will require updates, some costing a $1000.00+. The reality is that I've got closer to 7k in my 5k purchase price machine and I've even skipped a few updates because I don't see the newest cars yet- so paying $1200.00 won't return any money.

Giving away free information is good for business. There's a mower shop in Fresno California called E.G. Babcock & Sons. It's been there forever and now the grandson owns the place. Mr. Babcock showed me how to remove and install welch plugs on my Briggs & Stratton engine. He also showed me how to clean the passages behind the welch plugs. He's given me a lot of valuable information over the years that you can't get out of a book! Whenever I need some parts or need to special order a Briggs & Stratton service tool, I go see Mr. Babcock. Get it?

I would think that even though you tell them what has to be done that most still would rather just pay someone to do it and not worry about it. Otherwise if they were capable of doing it themselves they wouldn't have called in the first place imo. Unless they are handy enough to fix it, but not diagnose.

If I'm buying the parts from him at the time that I'm there, he don't mind giving me the tidbits of information that I need. It's a mutual respect thing. I respect him for being an expert mechanic, and he respects me for taking an interest in the machine. I always treat mechanics as though they're on the same level as I am. I'm not your typical white collar customer.

I bet most of you guys would charge an arm and a leg when someone leaves the gas cap open and gets the check engine light.
whistle.gif

Be like ohhh the crankshaft is "broken" might need rebuild
spankme2.gif

Last edited:
Sounds like the guy didn't realize you took time out of your day to go fix his engine expecting to get paid. Kind of selfish of him. He couldn't diagnose it himself but he could fix it.
I've taken a car or two by a shop for diagnostic help, the techs are all really cool and they've always said no charge for the help. Even if it's only a few minutes of their time I like to slip the tech $10 for some beer at the very least, especially since they saved me some diagnostic time on something tricky.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Most auto garages charge a diagnostic fee.
You should charge one. If they want you to repair it, apply the fee towards the repair.

On a lawn mower I would charge a diagnostic fee paid up front which would apply towards repairs.Otherwise the customer will disappear and you get stuck with the mower.

Learn the lesson and move on with your business. Hope you do well.

First off, at least where I live, the mower must be dropped off at the shop for evaluation. There they do the diagnostics and tell you the cost of repair.

Second, you doing a house call is great for customer service, but maybe you should just do that as a pick up the equipment and then call them back with fee for fixing it. If they don't want you to fix it, then come by and pick up your stuff.
Remember your time, gas, etc are worth money to you.

Third, take cash for payment. Don't trust people and their checks. Some of them will get their fixed stuff back and you will be left holding rubber. Just ask me how I know.

Fourth, it is ok to be honest. I am honest with people all the time. I think that is the best route to get through life on. However there are people out there that are not honest and will use you to get what they want for nothing. Beware and don't let them waste your time and efforts. Get rid of them as quick as you can.

So my BITOG friend, learn a lesson, be honest, enjoy your business and I hope you are successful. I am sure you will learn another lesson in business before much more time passes. Just ask me how I know. I am still learning lessons. I just call it life and move on and try not to learn the same lesson too many times.

Good luck

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
So I'm trying to start a small engine repair business and I went out and looked at a guys lawn mower since he was in the neighborhood. Basically I diagnosed what was wrong with it right their and he basically tells me he will just fix it himself. He didn't even ask for a price. Is this just what happens sometimes or do I need to be more vague on what is wrong with it so they don't do that? It's a shame cause I'm a very honest person and I'm not someone who's going to take advantage of someone. At the same time I feel kind of dumb for telling him what I was going to do to fix it. I guess their is always those people who are just going to waste your time.

Charge a flat diag. fee to figure out whats wrong and then refund that if they have you do the work. Some will want to fix it themself and others will think the repair is too expensive and will scrap the machine.

One shop has a sign that they do not work on MTD.

Yes charge a diagnostic fee and collect up front.

I do computer work on the side and used to not charge a diag. fee expecting that people would opt for the work needed.

I always find it so funny, and I'm sure this goes for a lot of professions, how so many people think they are a computer pro. Sure, it is not hard to build a computer/operate one. But, it takes skill to actually look at QVLs when building machines and researching the market to get trends on certain components/manufacturers.

With that said, it had got to the point where I received one too many failed gaming PC builds where people were basically looking for someone to tell them what to fix so they could play their Call of Duty. Never would get anything back. The horror of rats nest wiring, overloaded PSU and 12v rails, SATA to Molex to 3-pin to SATA to hard drive, etc.

Now I charge a dianostic fee up front, and absorb it into the cost of the repair. Now, I'd say about 8/10 people opt for the repair.

So I'm trying to start a small engine repair business and I went out and looked at a guys lawn mower since he was in the neighborhood.

It depends.

If the person is a neighbor and friend, it's good neighbor relations to help him out without expecting to get paid. If it is strictly a business relationship then a diagnostic fee is appropriate. Walking up to the house is also a different scenario than taking it to a shop. You lose a lot of credibility by making house calls unless you have a mobile shop.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

This is the amazing thing, with all the competition out there it is literally a needle in a haystack to find "that guy". I still haven't found em.

You should consider the possibility that it is not "them", but rather "you" with the problem.

So I'm trying to start a small engine repair business and I went out and looked at a guys lawn mower since he was in the neighborhood. Basically I diagnosed what was wrong with it right their and he basically tells me he will just fix it himself. He didn't even ask for a price. Is this just what happens sometimes or do I need to be more vague on what is wrong with it so they don't do that? It's a shame cause I'm a very honest person and I'm not someone who's going to take advantage of someone. At the same time I feel kind of dumb for telling him what I was going to do to fix it. I guess their is always those people who are just going to waste your time.

That's the down side to "free estimates." People will pick your brain, do it themselves, or have you spec out the work, then shop around and try and find someone cheaper. You have a few choices. Live with it because people won't change. Or charge a flat rate for diagnostics which gets applied to the job. You'll be amazed how that will keep the tire kickers at bay.

It's tough when you're starting out, you want work. People tend to low-ball to get work, or give things away for free hoping to get work. You have to decide what path you want to take, once you start low-balling you can't change it. I decided with my business to do high quality work and charge accordingly. People looking for low-ball prices don't call me, and that's how I want it. People looking for a good job and are willing to pay are the people I deal with. You have to decide what business model you want.

I learned a long time ago how to screen customers, and gave seminars on it. You'd be amazed how much time and money knowing how to screen people on the phone, or face to face can save you.

This business is going to be a pain without an actual shop where I sit their and wait until they walk in the door. Instead it's figuring out a good time for some weirdo to come to the house and then getting stuck waiting and have the customer change his mind or whatever. Honestly, I'm not sure if this business will work without an building on the side of a main road, but I wanted to test the waters first and see how things go.

This business is going to be a pain without an actual shop where I sit their and wait until they walk in the door. Instead it's figuring out a good time for some weirdo to come to the house and then getting stuck waiting and have the customer change his mind or whatever. Honestly, I'm not sure if this business will work without an building on the side of a main road, but I wanted to test the waters first and see how things go.

There's nothing is wrong with testing the waters, in fact its a great idea. The key is to establish policies with how you plan on estimating work, and your fees, then stick to it. There are plenty of people doing small engine repairs from their homes, my brother did it for many years for mad money. Odds are people will hear about you and probably call, at that point you can screen them and discuss your estimate policy and fees. Before that "weirdo" comes to your house. It's all in how you screen them!

Here is the other side of that coin. Today, an interested customer has so many "free" resources available, that if he wanted, he could have easily diagnosed the problem and fixed it. All he needed was to enter the problem in google/youtube and somebody would have given exact sequence including the size of the wrenches to use.

BUT there is a class of customers who are either incapable to do not want to go through that trouble. They would rather deal with somebody who is BOTH honest and competent to work for them. These customers gladly pay for such services. You will have to establish yourself so that your customers would be of this type.

I am extremely impressed when I have my vehicle in for servicing at the local shop. Half the traffic which comes in, the owner tells the customer "No charge"; he refuses to take money for simple and small jobs such as bulb changes or pre-purchase inspection for his regular customers. He is always busy.

Going back to the original topic, this does fall in to "free estimate" category. If your diagnosis involved taking bunch of parts before coming up the cause, I can understand why you would be upset. On the other hand, if your diagnosis was built upon your experience and hearing (or not hearing) how the OPE was starting/running, you should not be too upset unless you had made it clear that you charge $$ for just showing up.

But if you start doing that, you *will* push away some of the good customers.

Few years ago, I lost a tiny nozzle of my whole house humidifier. Nobody stocks it and the only choice was to order over internet. I made calls to few HVAC repair places. Most would not return the call but one guy says "hold on; let me see if I have it with me". Then he tells me to come down and pick it up. "How much?" "No charge; just come and take it!" Mind you, this was the first time I had called that place. Guess who got the business when my furnace blower gave out? I paid pretty penny but I did NOT shop around and trusted these guys to charge me fair price. That nozzle was from his extra part cache after doing installation at a house. It was a few dollar part and he would not take the money. Mind you, this is a big place around here and has many branches; so not unlike a small mom and pop shop as such BUT it does still have owner's name as the name of the business. So the owner has successfully grown his business but still managed to retain and attract the quality staff who goes way beyond in dealing with potential customers.

Sorry for the rant. The point is, you have to decide which type of business owner you want to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back