Neat little barn find...Craigslist Yamaha RD 200

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is awesome! close ish to me. Nice price on it. I know its old but it's in great shape and a two stroke is awesome. Must be very nimble cause of the weight and size.

The seller is a bit optimistic on how fast it is "should run with any modern 600 4 stroke" but it would be a fun little bike.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
The seller is a bit optimistic on how fast it is "should run with any modern 600 4 stroke" but it would be a fun little bike.

I noticed that too...I doubt this little bike is putting out 20hp. The plus... it has the reed induction system vs the old piston port type. I think Yamaha went to reeds in 1972 or 73. Way better design. I had both kinds and my old 1969 DT 250 enduro would load up now and then but never had a problem with the reed induction system loading up on my 1973 model (reeds).

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

Exactly. Put the crack pipe down.

I just looked it up, 22 hp and 85 MPH top speed. While I don't doubt it would smoke a modern Harley.lol... Beating a modern 600cc SS bike is simply not realistic.

I'm assuming that the "Electric" refers to the little guy having electric start.
A real necessity with a 200cc two-stroke. I mean, who'd actually want to have to kick-start this beast?
This thing will run with any modern 600 as long as both are coasting in neutral downhill.
This looks like a neat little time-warp machine and would be fun to have.
Is the asking more than double what your freindly Yamaha dealer would have been happy to get in 1976 or 1977 when new years-old small-bore Japanese bikes were still sitting patiently in their shipping crates awaiting a flood of fuel economy seeking buyers who never came?

Originally Posted By: 29662
I just looked it up, 22 hp and 85 MPH top speed. While I don't doubt it would smoke a modern Harley.lol... Beating a modern 600cc SS bike is simply not realistic.

crackmeup2.gif

The single cylinder CBR250 makes more horsepower.
The SOHC 200cc 4 stroke single Burgman makes nearly as much horspower....and it's a scooter!

I had an RD350 that was pretty good against 650s in the early '80s. Got cocky when I beat a KZ750 twin. Then I raced a V45 Interceptor....yeah, I got a good look at the temp tag of that Honda. And that 750 was slightly slower than the 1st gen CBR600 Hurricane.
The 1st gen Hurricane is much slower than the current CBR600RR.
RD200 faster than a modern 600? Ain't gonna' happen.

That horsepower was pretty good for its day. A Vespa PX200e made about half that with its 2 stroke.

Always loved 2 stroke motorcycles. I've owned my share of them. The RD200 was just a bit underpowered though. The RD350, in stock form was just barely enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back