Oil filter wrenches

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the general consensus on using an oil filter wrench? I have used one every OCI the entire time I have been working on cars. We always felt that it was better to be a little to tight than too loose. I know that every manufacturer says to stop at the quarter turn, but does anyone really do that? Could there be any harm associated with overtightening a filter?
confused.gif

The only real harm is that the person that changes the filter after you will have some real nice things to say about you and your work lol.

Yes. Most oil filter leaks that I have seen come from either under tightening or over tightening.

Last edited:
I snug it by hand and then use a wrench to give it an additional 1/4 to 3/8 of a turn. I have been doing this since 1978 with no problems---YMMV!

Originally Posted By: qdeezie
The only real harm is that the person that changes the filter after you will have some real nice things to say about you and your work lol.

Im the only one who does it, so there arent many bad things to say about the "last guy"
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: tig1
Yes. Most oil filter leaks that I have seen come from either under tightening or over tightening.

If I saw an oil leak in any of my vehicles I would have a coronary. Luckily I have never had that problem. I could see a leak from under tightening, but why from over tightening?

Overtightening kinks the gasket. If you get really excited it's possible to strip threads and/or pull the threaded rod out when you try to remove the filter.

I work at a shop and I've never had the need to tighten them down with a filter wrench. Truth be told I put my filters on looser than most of my co workers.. I've never had to grab a wrench to take the filter off a car I did. And I've never had a leak either. It's a rubber gasket, doesn't take much to seal.

Last edited:
I've never tightened with anything more than my hand. I'm a little guy but strong. No leaks.

edit: especially with the sure-grip Frams there is no need for a wrench with me.

Last edited:
I work at a dealer and every oil change I do except diesel trucks is hand tight I have never had one leak. using a wrench is unnecessary and may cause more harm than its worth . on diesels a little snug with the wrench is all I do.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
I snug it by hand and then use a wrench to give it an additional 1/4 to 3/8 of a turn. I have been doing this since 1978 with no problems---YMMV!

I do the same, never had any problem of leaking or filter got loose.

For ordinary passenger vehicles you NEVER tighten
oil filters with a wrench, only hand tighten, usually it is anywhere from 1/4 turn to 3/4 turn.

Yet here we are speaking of this and any shop you care to mention will indeed tighten that filter with a darn wrench....usually so tight that in order to remove it the next time, you need to destroy it to get it off, absolutely ridiculous! Why oh why do we have to continually revisit this nonsense with so called
outfits that are supposed to be good at doing oil and filter changes, it is SIMPLE work that almost anyone could do if they had a lift. Yet these dimwits can't seem to ever get it right?

I'm in the tighten by hand and turn with a filter wrench another 1/4 to 1/2 turn. Been doing that for 30+ years without any issues. I've seen cars come to me leaking at the oil filter because it was too loose and was probably only hand tight. The oil filter boxes I've read state to do what I do.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4

I do the same, never had any problem of leaking or filter got loose.

Same here

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
For ordinary passenger vehicles you NEVER tighten oil filters with a wrench, only hand tighten, usually it is anywhere from 1/4 turn to 3/4 turn. Yet here we are speaking of this and any shop you care to mention will indeed tighten that filter with a darn wrench....usually so tight that in order to remove it the next time, you need to destroy it to get it off, absolutely ridiculous!

I have seen filters loosen on a longer OCIs when hand tightened (because it is simply dependent on how strong a person's grip might be) and of course, I am not talking about nearly twisting the filter off of the block nozzle with a wrench--that is beyond stupid. 1/4 to 3/8 of a turn past hand tight is not too tight, nor will it kink the gasket and while you will need a wrench to take it off, I will bet a free OC that it will not loosen or leak either.

I use an oil filter wrench to REMOVE the old oil filter...never to put one on, HAND TIGHTEN ONLY!

I never had to remove it with a wrench. The only time I have had to used one is on my uncle's car when he took it to one of those quicklube places

I tighten them on 3/4 of the way after gasket contact, but still have trouble removing them and decided to invest in a wrench for removal purposes only.

I hate nearly breaking my wrist every time. Lol.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I tighten them on 3/4 of the way after gasket contact, but still have trouble removing them and decided to invest in a wrench for removal purposes only.

I hate nearly breaking my wrist every time. Lol.

I tighten them snug with my hand. But I almost always have to use a wrench to get the bloody things off, particularly on the Expedition where mobility in the area of access is limited.

I snug it up by hand, been doing it this way since they came out with spin on filters, yet to have one leak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back