finding good fitting furnace filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So,

My 10 year old house in Texas has the Carrier natural gas furnace/AC in the attic of the home, and the filter is in the ceiling in the hallway.

The size of the opening is 14x30x1.

My furnace guy has advised me to stick with fiberglass type filters as it is easier on the furnace than the pleated filters because my return air is not as large as he would like to see.

So I'm doing that.

I am having trouble finding 14x30x1 filters that fit properly in this housing.

Normally with a furnace in a basement or something, you drop the filter in the housing and don't care too much if it is a little too small.

With the filter being in the ceiling, every one I have tried is too small.

So, I have rigged together cardboard strips to get the filter to fit in the housing, and that lasts for a while, but I just don't like that solution.

So, I have been looking online, and most of the filters post the actual size, and none of them are what they say, they are all too small.

Can y'all recommend a place online to get some furnace filters as close to actual size as possible?

Last edited:
Does the filter get sucked up into the ductwork? Ceiling mounted return air vents are what I grew up with, and generally the filter would suck up against the frame when the unit came on, and drop down against the gratewhen it shut off. I don't remember them ever being very tight within the opening, but they didn't leak any air when the unit came on and pulled them up snug in the opening.

I have the same problem in my home; I resorted to duct taping measured/cut sizes of 1/2 wood square dowel to the edges of the filter to make it fit properly.
21.gif
It's the only way I can get the proper size filter to sit flush in it's slots.

Last edited:
I had the same problem until I called these guys. Now I have filters that fit correctly.

Pure Air Filter Co Inc
4743 Whirlwind Dr San Antonio, TX 78217, United States
(210) 656-3099

I found that the Ace Hardware branded pleated filters had good nominal dimensions. The budget 3M Filtrete pleated filters from Wal Mart were good in that regard as well. I bought a couple of cases of filters from my employer (a top HVAC manufacturer) and found that the supplier makes them about 3/4" too small in both dimensions. They still comply with the "nominal" standards, but come on! I bought some self adhesive door weatherstripping (EDPM foam) from Home Depot. I stuck it around the perimeter of my two ceiling grills. It has been holding the filters in place and sealing them well. Home Depot has a good assortment of such weatherstripping in the door hardware aisle. I won't be buying filters from my employer again, no matter how good the prices.

Tip: Measure your filter opening and take a tape measure with you when you buy your filters!

Thanks I will try the tape if I can't get the next batch to stay in the ceiling without moving around.

Just ordered some standard fiberglass filters, they are 1/8'' smaller than the opening, they are the largest ones I could find.

25 bucks for 12 filters, I change them once a month.

The only ones that you cant hear clank when pressurized was The carbon filters I got from Amazon when I had my motorbike stay indoors with me. $10ea though!

Had to gently wedge them in there for a perfect fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back