Should you tell a customer what's wrong or just ho

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm trying to start a small engine repair business and I went out and looked at a guys lawn mower since he was in the neighborhood. Basically I diagnosed what was wrong with it right their and he basically tells me he will just fix it himself. He didn't even ask for a price. Is this just what happens sometimes or do I need to be more vague on what is wrong with it so they don't do that? It's a shame cause I'm a very honest person and I'm not someone who's going to take advantage of someone. At the same time I feel kind of dumb for telling him what I was going to do to fix it. I guess their is always those people who are just going to waste your time.

Most auto garages charge a diagnostic fee.
You should charge one. If they want you to repair it, apply the fee towards the repair.

Yep don't do nothing for free. If they don't want to pay your diagnosis offer, make a cheap offer to buy it and then resell it to them. That will fix their game.

I own a small business and I have 2 rules for my techs and myself:

1. No free service
2. No free parts

Make sure you set the expectations up front. The price is $ to diagnosis and then $ to actually do the repair. Some companies will credit the diagnostic fee to the repair.

You are going to make mistakes, just learn from them and move on.

Stay honest and remember you are not a non profit entity

Be vague and just tell them you you cant say for sure until you open it up and that will cost $xx
Don't do freebees you set a precedent that will haunt you, of course close friends family you need to play it by ear.
For anyone but my brother and a couple of close friends i am just too busy.

Of course what he said he was going to do wasn't going to fix the problem though. lol

I agreed with skyactiv, inform potential customer that there will be diagnostic fee if he/she doesn't have you repair it, but the fee is waived if the repair is done by you.

It doesn't make sense that you spend some of your time diagnosing the problem(s) then he repairs himself.

Originally Posted By: cdeason
I own a small business and I have 2 rules for my techs and myself:

1. No free service
2. No free parts

Make sure you set the expectations up front. The price is $ to diagnosis and then $ to actually do the repair. Some companies will credit the diagnostic fee to the repair.

You are going to make mistakes, just learn from them and move on.

Stay honest and remember you are not a non profit entity

It's a fun experience for sure. I learn something new everyday.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
inform potential customer that there will be diagnostic fee if he/she doesn't have you repair it, but the fee is waived if the repair is done by you.

+1

We just recently had a thread where some guy was complaining about the unreasonable charge the dealer wanted to read the codes behind his Check Engine light. Well, THIS thread shows why.

Definitely charge for a diagnosis & tell people that before you go to their house or if they bring it in. If you don't they will just correct what you say is wrong.

First of all congratulations for starting your own business, best of luck. Don't change your beliefs or how you are or deal with people. If you have the high integrity you say you do, and I'm not doubting you, you will build a solid business with customers who value honesty and dependability. Write your experience with your "neighbor" off as a lesson learned. Maybe the neighborhood kids will get even with him on Halloween. The small engine shop I deal with has a sign hanging that that clearly states what their diagnostic fee is regardless if they end up repairing it.

I agreed with skyactiv, inform potential customer that there will be diagnostic fee if he/she doesn't have you repair it, but the fee is waived if the repair is done by you.

It doesn't make sense that you spend some of your time diagnosing the problem(s) then he repairs himself.

I guess if this is a very common occurrence then I will do that. Right now I think it's important to spread the word to get the business started. Honestly that guy was probably just a tire kicker. Even if I do end up doing some things for free I would think it would pay off over time and result in lots of business in the future. That's just my thinking though.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO, it depends on how difficult the repair you diagnosed is. If it, for example, was to replace a muffler; a handy guy might figure he could do it himself....until it breaks off in the head. This goes into the "win some, lose some" category. The OPE shop I use won't give you an on the spot diagnosis, you leave it with them and they call you. Another idea to consider is a $20-25 diagnosis fee which would, of course, be applied to the final bill. You should make sure to prominently indicate this on the invoice.
Your time is worth money, and nobody gets more than 24, right? If they pay your fee and walk, reiterate that if they change their mind; you'll still credit the diagnosis fee. If they get halfway and quit, you'll still come out ahead by either having to fix their folly or half of the work will be done. Probably the nasty messy part ;-).

Originally Posted By: 2cool
IMO, it depends on how difficult the repair you diagnosed is. If it, for example, was to replace a muffler; a handy guy might figure he could do it himself....until it breaks off in the head. This goes into the "win some, lose some" category. The OPE shop I use won't give you an on the spot diagnosis, you leave it with them and they call you. Another idea to consider is a $20-25 diagnosis fee which would, of course, be applied to the final bill. You should make sure to prominently indicate this on the invoice.
Your time is worth money, and nobody gets more than 24, right? If they pay your fee and walk, reiterate that if they change their mind; you'll still credit the diagnosis fee. If they get halfway and quit, you'll still come out ahead by either having to fix their folly or half of the work will be done. Probably the nasty messy part ;-).

Yeah I love fixing things that other people jacked with. Some shops charge double for that. lol

Originally Posted By: Tegger
inform potential customer that there will be diagnostic fee if he/she doesn't have you repair it, but the fee is waived if the repair is done by you.

+1

We just recently had a thread where some guy was complaining about the unreasonable charge the dealer wanted to read the codes behind his Check Engine light. Well, THIS thread shows why.

I would never pay someone to read my check engine light. Not when any auto parts store will do it for free. I would imagine that if you want the business, there may be times where you should do a preliminary diagnosis for free.

The whole reason why I bought a scan tool is because of arsehole mechanics. They wanted to charge me $75 just to read an ABS code (parts stores only do CEL codes, not ABS, SRS, Transmission etc.) I was so disgusted that instead of paying him, I went to HF and payed $120 (tax inclusive) for a scanner that will read, diagnose, clear etc. all CEL, ABS, SRS and tranny codes. I ended up fixing the problem myself and got a new tool in the process. If he would have scanned it he would have found out it was a bad brake fluid level sensor and made a lot more than $75 on the repair. Instead, he wound up with nothing. I dont work as a professional mechanic, just giving you a customers perspective OP.

Definitely you should charge a diagnostic fee if the customer DOES NOT choose to get the repair done at your shop. If they agree to the repair I would either drop the fee entirely or drastically reduce it.

I recently had a Honda $tealer tech repair one item on my car (I KNEW EXACTLY WHERE IT WAS LEAKING FROM AND IT WAS THE ONLY LEAK!), and then when I got it back it was leaking from somewhere else.

When we asked what they thought was leaking the tech proceeded to list HG, Rear main seal, ect. Not telling us exactly what the problem was, well that was enough for me to simply tell him nothing else was being fixed. I knew we had been "Had". My guess is the guy damaged something else to get more work. It happens and is more common than most folks think. The business is loaded with dishonest employees. That will be the last 600 bucks they get from us and we will never buy a car there either.

Last edited:
You have to get diagnostic fee deposit up front, or lose your A$$.

Many will drop their stuff off and never come back, especially if it costs money to fix them, so collect the deposit diagnostic fee.

and then always collect additional monies before ordering any parts.

Last edited:
OP you have to know your target audience, and in the long run, honest business practices will lead to success. There is so much competition out there that if you set yourself apart by doing a thorough job and make people feel like your cutting them a "break" or giving them a "deal" you will develop lifelong customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back