LED Bulb Question...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night I was out blowing snow and a few times I noticed a flash of blue light that lit up the yard. The motion detector light I have on the garage has a LED Bulb in it. Do these bulbs flash like a camera flash? I can't think of any thing else it could be.

I would have said no, and if it did it wouldn't be very bright. Maybe it was lightning? I have heard thunder snow has happed quite a bit lately in the NE states.
Could have even been a UFO? :p
I was once walking out in some snowy fields at about 2am with 2 other family members, we all saw 2 super bright camera flashes that seemed to come from above then after looking around puzzled we saw a glowing orange something silently flying erratically over the tops of walls and houses in the valley below. We all ran back home terrified!
Later research revealed that many classic UFO close encounters and abductions start with 2 bright flashes! If you believe in that sort of stuff!

I have a CFL in one motion detector, and it comes on bright for a split second then dims until warmed up.

Originally Posted By: 19jacobob93
Maybe it was lightning? I have heard thunder snow has happed quite a bit lately in the NE states.

Could have been...but I never seen lightning in the winter. Had to Google "Thundersnow" never heard of it.

Does the light work at all?

Some need to bleed current through what it assumes to be an incandescent filament to function; the flashing could be it trying to "boot up".

I'm not aware of an LED light doing that. But if your motion detector is doing it, than it will happen again and you'll be able to figure it out.

some motion detectors feed some minor current even when the bulb is off. it's a non-issue with most bulbs, but some LEDs with inverter style power supply will flash every couple of minutes. how do i know it? i have 2 of those, LOL. i had to get LEDs with the old fashioned capacitor based power supplies.

Speaking of brightness from outdoor bulbs, which bulbs emit the whitest, brightest light? During my dog walks at night, I can always tell the usual dimmer, yellowy incandescent bulbs that home owners use for front porch lights. Then there's a couple on each block that are real bright and white. What kind of bulbs are those? Are those Halogen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back