Creatine Monohydrate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I plan on signing up for a gym membership soon. I remember many years ago when I tried to get into a workout regimen, I would get really soar and be in pain for days.

I have been reading up on supplements that can help to reduce the muscle aches when starting and maintaining a stressful workout. Based on what I have been reading it seems that creatine monohydrate is the most effective based on cost and benefits. I do not want to spend a hundred dollars a month on supplements. I priced creatine and it looks like a $25 jar can last a couple of months.
Also, I did not find any negative side effects reported, or long term health issues related to creatine.

Anyone using creatine that can give me feedback on their experiences with it.

Old video, but he answers some questions, and his other videos on fitness are very smart.

Last edited:
Everybody's body reacts different to the stresses a good workout puts on your muscles. I've found that being very well hydrated before hand and taking a pre workout mix with 5g of creatine mono worked well to curb the soreness, a little pre work out brisk walk, 5 mins, and proper stretching helped even more... consider it like warming up the engine before you go for redline..

Last edited:
Creatine expands muscles beyond normal size because of water retention increasing possible tears and Rhabdomyolysis, if you do intense exercise and your bodies not used to it extra creatine will make Rhabdomyolysis much worse. So take it easy ramp it up slow. Consult a Sports Physician.
I tried it and had some strange stuff going on while on it. Most people I talk to that take it, dosnt bother them a couple have had some strange stuff as well.
I whouldnt do it ever again, thats just me.
A good well balanced diet with plenty of rest will help tremendously. Some carbs and protein before and more directly after exercise will help out in a big way.

Edit
The strange stuff was my heart was doing odd things, that dosnt happen when not taking it so I just dont take it. I dont have any heart problems and none in the family. 6 3 260 in good shape. When I tried it I could run 20kms and was about 270 lbs.

Also,be sure to really stretch after a hard workout. That's what helps with my soreness after lifting weights.

I have a PhD in Exercise Science so I'm pretty qualified on this topic. Creatine is the most studied nutritional supplement, and has consistently been shown to be safe and effective in healthy persons. It is even now being studied and has shown some positive benefits for people with various medical conditions (MS, cancer, etc.).

Creatine works. Period. But it may not reduce soreness all that much, that isn't the mechanism of action for it. For soreness reduction it is important to consume nutrients (and the right ones - basically get some high glycemic carbs and some protein) right after your workout. I usually eat a banana and have a protein shake with creatine and glutamine mixed in. Also, just through the act of training your body will acclimate and reduce the amount of muscle damage in response to training, and this will over time (as in within a few months) result in much less soreness than you'll experience when you start working out again. If you take creatine, take it after your workout. A recent study showed this resulted in better results than taking it pre-workout. I actually take it both, and not on non-workout days (I workout 4 times per week usually).

It is a bit dated now, but I suggest reading this research article (it is actually a position statement) that does a great job explaining creatine: http://www.jissn.com/content/4/1/6

If you want to buy it, I would suggest either Vitacost or Nutrabio. Here is the link to Vitacost: http://www.vitacost.com/aro-vitacost-black-series-creatine-raw-unflavored-5-grams-1-1-lb-500-g

Originally Posted By: wallyuwl
I have a PhD in Exercise Science so I'm pretty qualified on this topic. Creatine is the most studied nutritional supplement, and has consistently been shown to be safe and effective in healthy persons. It is even now being studied and has shown some positive benefits for people with various medical conditions (MS, cancer, etc.).

Creatine works. Period. But it may not reduce soreness all that much, that isn't the mechanism of action for it. For soreness reduction it is important to consume nutrients (and the right ones - basically get some high glycemic carbs and some protein) right after your workout. I usually eat a banana and have a protein shake with creatine and glutamine mixed in. Also, just through the act of training your body will acclimate and reduce the amount of muscle damage in response to training, and this will over time (as in within a few months) result in much less soreness than you'll experience when you start working out again. If you take creatine, take it after your workout. A recent study showed this resulted in better results than taking it pre-workout. I actually take it both, and not on non-workout days (I workout 4 times per week usually).

It is a bit dated now, but I suggest reading this research article (it is actually a position statement) that does a great job explaining creatine: http://www.jissn.com/content/4/1/6

If you want to buy it, I would suggest either Vitacost or Nutrabio. Here is the link to Vitacost: http://www.vitacost.com/aro-vitacost-black-series-creatine-raw-unflavored-5-grams-1-1-lb-500-g
smart man and dead on, it's all about understanding the mechanism, instead of the useless [censored] that people spit out.

soreness has to do with your body getting use to it and also your testosterone levels, this is the reason people on steroids recover faster and "see" results" faster.

generally speaking a man's man can absorb up to 25-30ish gram of protein in a given meal, people on steroids absorb from 100-150ish grams, which is why they recover and get results significantly faster.

Last edited:
Do people still take large doses of creatine to saturate their bodies in a short amount of time or just take a few grams a day? I just took it a few grams a day. I seem to remember something about particle size being important and you wanted to take the creatine that was finely milled so it would be better absorbed.

Whey protein powder and then creatine are regarded as the best bang for buck supplements.

I still lift weights and use the "slow movement" regime when lifting.

I have had good luck with an L-Arginine (750mg)/L-Citrulline (250mg) complex.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
Originally Posted By: wallyuwl

smart man and dead on, it's all about understanding the mechanism, instead of the useless [censored] that people spit out.

soreness has to do with your body getting use to it and also your testosterone levels, this is the reason people on steroids recover faster and "see" results" faster.

generally speaking a man's man can absorb up to 25-30ish gram of protein in a given meal, people on steroids absorb from 100-150ish grams, which is why they recover and get results significantly faster.

Blanket statement in regards to steroids and not even remotely close to correct. Considering the various steroids available you'd have to pick one then focus on its function in the human body.

It's funny. You mention understanding the mechanism then commenting on useless junk from people's mouths,then you post this nonsense on steroids.
Funny

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Blanket statement in regards to steroids and not even remotely close to correct. Considering the various steroids available you'd have to pick one then focus on its function in the human body.

It's funny. You mention understanding the mechanism then commenting on useless junk from people's mouths,then you post this nonsense on steroids.
Funny

LOL your right, my wife says the same thing to me when I mention steroids, I apologize I was incorrect.

I was referring to Anabolic Steroids.

The only issue I have with Creatine happens when I take it post workout shortly before a protein shake. It makes me run to the bathroom as if I ate too much chili.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back