2003 Nissan Pathfinder 3.3 Auto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Engine has 93K an is clean as my grandmother's kitchen floor. I have been using Mobil1 5-30W full synthetic oil.

For the last year or so the engine turned in an oil hog, every 1,500 miles I have to add a quart of oil. My mechanic recommended to change the oil very 5K miles (full synthetic oil), but every 1,500 miles I have to add a quart of oil.
A few months ago I switched to Mobil1 10-30W High Mileage Formula, and helped a little, still had to add oil every 1,500 miles.

Again, I have no oil leaks, for some reason the engine consumes oil.

Is there an additive that I can add to slow down the oil consumption?.

Your consumption isn't abnormal, I wouldn't do anything except keep doing what you're doing. 1 quart in 1500 miles isn't awful, and you said it lessened since you moved to the HM oil. In California you could get away with Mobil 1 High Mileage 10w40, which would further reduce the consumption.

If you're changing the oil every 5k, you don't have to top off the last time just change it when it's a quart low.

If the car was consuming no oil, and suddenly started consuming a quart in 1,500 miles, I would be looking for an answer. To start with, replace your PCV, and read codes if need be.

^ Yeah, give Mobil 1 High Mileage 10w-40 a try.

Look for the cause though.

Welcome to the site.

Originally Posted By: TomYoung
To start with, replace your PCV, and read codes if need be.

Also look for collapsed PCV hoses (if your setup is like this).

Blockages are something to look for as well.

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
FWIW, I wouldn't let your engine get down a whole quart. Doesn't that 3.3L only hold like 3.75 quarts total?

It is a V6 Engine, takes 6 quarts total.

A VG33 should only take 4 qts of oil. In addition I believe they stopped installing the vg33 in around 2001 or maybe 2002.

Have you make sure you don't have an oil leak. As a former 97 vg33 pathfinder owner, I can tell you the passenger side can seals love to leak!

I ran mobil 1 and syntec 10w30's from 65k through 240k at 5k intervals. Car was still running great when my father in law totaled it.

I had a 97 pathfinder with a 3.3, I don't remember it taking 6 quarts, that seems like a lot. I don't remember it using any oil ever, but I do remember it using a lot of gas with a fairly modest power output and a fair degree of noise, vibration and harshness.

If its a 2003 as you claim, you don't have the 3.3 VG33E.

You've got the 3.5 VQ35DE, which during a oil and filter change, takes 5.3 quarts.

Start with a PCV valve replacement, then head for a HM 5w-30 like Maxlife or Pennzoil HM and see where that gets you.

my 2000 xterra takes 3.5 quarters ,,,I just took a look at a 2003 pathfinder owners manual, both with the vg33e engine,,,the pathy takes 5.25 qts,,,,I guess its just a matter of fitting a different oil pan!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back