Can I use 5w20 oil in 2014 Honda Odyssey?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Hootbro
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder

While that is true, in practice all they have to do is say no and then you are stuck putting pressure on them and perhaps getting it to court... I'll wager Honda has more lawyers on the payroll than the average consumer.

I simply don't understand why anyone would risk (no matter how small the risk) that aggravation over less than $100.00 with of oil.

If you want a check in the "win" column for internet discussion of the topic, you got it in spades. Everything you say is correct in a world of absolutes.

The point others are bringing up is that the use of 5W-20 name brand synthetic like the OP mentions for a couple of OCI's vs. the recommended 0W-20 and having a problem is so minute that you have a better chance of getting hit by a bus than some potential oil related issue here.

Only on BITOG do people pick the fly sh!t out of the pepper over such things.

Better chance of getting hit by a bus after being struck by lightning.

OP, use the 5w20. I did the same in the wifes CR-V so I could use up the last of my PU.

If your concerned about warranty, by a jug of 0w20 and keep the receipt on hand. Use the 0w20 once you have exhausted your 5w20.

Thanks everyone for your opinions! I have 5 jugs of synthetic oil (3 Penzoil Platinum, Mobil One, and Valvoline). If I had only the one left, I wouldn't have thought twice and just start buying the 0w20. But having the 5 jugs left, it would be a shame to waste that much oil. Still on the fence with this one as the warranty stuff makes it a tougher decision despite the unlikelihood of a problem arising from using the oil...

Fow what it's worth my 2007 Oddy Touring (with VCM) was speced for 5W-20 only but later back speced to where 0W-20 is now acceptable. I split the difference and run the 0W in winter and 5W in summer without issues. I don't know what changes Honda made to the J series engine that it now requires 0W only, but I think running the 5W would be fine (not counting the warrenty issues which is another can o'worms). I have read a story or two about MAYBE using a 30 weight MIGHT cause issues with the VCM engines, but I once had used a spare jug of PP 5W-30 in my Oddy and did not notice anything diffferent.
grin.gif

On the same token, Honda just cannot deny warranty because incorrect weight was used, they have to prove the incorrect weight caused a oil related failure.

Remember the unit we are discussing here: the Honda 3.5L V6 with VCM. When these engines have issues, 99% of the time lubrication played a role. Now, here at BITOG we know it is because of the design of this engine, not because someone was using 5W-20 instead of 0W-20. However, if Honda can find anything out of the ordinary with your maintenance regimen, they aren't going to cover it.

This is different than vehicles where the know issues are NOT lubrication related. Again, you have to look at the vehicle in question.

Originally Posted By: dernp
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder

While that is true, in practice all they have to do is say no and then you are stuck putting pressure on them and perhaps getting it to court... I'll wager Honda has more lawyers on the payroll than the average consumer.

I simply don't understand why anyone would risk (no matter how small the risk) that aggravation over less than $100.00 with of oil.

If you want a check in the "win" column for internet discussion of the topic, you got it in spades. Everything you say is correct in a world of absolutes.

The point others are bringing up is that the use of 5W-20 name brand synthetic like the OP mentions for a couple of OCI's vs. the recommended 0W-20 and having a problem is so minute that you have a better chance of getting hit by a bus than some potential oil related issue here.

Only on BITOG do people pick the fly sh!t out of the pepper over such things.

Better chance of getting hit by a bus after being struck by lightning.

OP, use the 5w20. I did the same in the wifes CR-V so I could use up the last of my PU.

If your concerned about warranty, by a jug of 0w20 and keep the receipt on hand. Use the 0w20 once you have exhausted your 5w20.

Demp
If you are so confident then are you prepared to underwrite the warranty on behalf of Honda should they deny a claim related to the oil.

Based on your advice if the risk is so small likened to being hit by a bus and then struck by lightning in the same event as you claim then you should have NO worries endorsing the above request.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: virginoil

Demp
If you are so confident then are you prepared to underwrite the warranty on behalf of Honda should they deny a claim related to the oil.

Based on your advice if the risk is so small likened to being hit by a bus and then struck by lightning in the same event as you claim then you should have NO worries endorsing the above request.

I know you directed you statement towards Demp but since I am part of that chain, let me flip the question back at you.

Would you wage a sizable bet over time that if he did not not have a oil related failure by using 5W-20 vs. 0W-20, would you take that bet and pay out?

If I was in the business of making money by betting against oil related failure issues, I would do it as my day job as the risks are about as close to zero as you can get it.

If he is changing it himself, then there is no reason to worry..

I've seen a few quick lubes around here throw 5w20 in new hondas that spec the 0w20...and I think Honda knows that as well.

And fat chance the engine will have issues anyways, unless he waits quite a long time between changes.....

Have no fear and use up the stash you have. I've been running 5W-30 QSUD in our 2013 for 2 intervals now because that's what my stash was when we traded in a Mountaineer, and the 3.5 w/VCM hasn't exploded yet.

Originally Posted By: virginoil

Demp

I know you directed you statement towards Demp but since I am part of that chain, let me flip the question back at you.

Would you wage a sizable bet over time that if he did not not have a oil related failure by using 5W-20 vs. 0W-20, would you take that bet and pay out?

If I was in the business of making money by betting against oil related failure issues, I would do it as my day job as the risks are about as close to zero as you can get it.

Hootbro
I directed the question to Dernp's point of view rather than Dernp himself purely to point out are "you prepared to put your money where your mouth is" given the vehicle is under warranty to see what the reality check is.

Obviously you are prepared to make rebuttal offering "a sizable bet" based on nothing is likely to occur within the warranty period. My response is NO I will NOT take up your offer as I am not of a betting or risk taking nature hence that is why I posed my initial question.

As you are so confident of the position "nothing is likely to occur within the warranty period" perhaps you should offer a warranty to the OP rather than myself as he is the one that is under pressure to consider and take on advice from members of this forum.

Last edited:
Honda will tell you not to if you ask them.
Practically speaking, at the lowest temperatures you'll probably be starting the vehicle I'd doubt that there'd be much difference.
OTOH, what if you took your 5W-20 to Wally a jug or two at a time and asked to exchange it for the recommended 0W-20 grade in the same brand?
They'd might (probably) would allow this.
Gosh, I bought 5W-20 PP and meant to pick up the 0W-20. I've mislaid my receipt. This would probably work and would be worth a try.
Failing this, I'd just use the 5W-20. No harm done at all, especially during the warmer months.

If you use a 5W-20, just make sure it is a synthetic or semi-synthetic, not a straight conventional oil. The VCM engines are hard on oil. Also, Honda transmissions, especially on the early model Oddys, are somewhat...let's say "delicate". So when it comes time to change/add transmission fluid, please use only the Honda brand DW1 ATF. You may run into problems using anything else. My Oddy runs fine and I plan on keeping it another 8+ years.

5w20 Pennzoil synthetic in place of a 0w20? Sure no problem at all unless you have to provide receipts for warranty purpose. The engine won't care it's a fine oil.

well, I've decided to use the remaining 5w20 oil in my Odyssey during the warmer months and switch to the 0w20 oil in anticipation of the colder weather around the fall. Thanks everyone for your opinions and suggestions!

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Honda will tell you not to if you ask them.
Practically speaking, at the lowest temperatures you'll probably be starting the vehicle I'd doubt that there'd be much difference.
OTOH, what if you took your 5W-20 to Wally a jug or two at a time and asked to exchange it for the recommended 0W-20 grade in the same brand?
They'd might (probably) would allow this.
Gosh, I bought 5W-20 PP and meant to pick up the 0W-20. I've mislaid my receipt. This would probably work and would be worth a try.
Failing this, I'd just use the 5W-20. No harm done at all, especially during the warmer months.

I've thought about that but I'm nowhere near a Walmart anymore. Before I moved to NYC, I lived in PA and worked a few minutes from the nearest Wallyworld. That's actually where my surplus of the 5w20 oil came from. I put an obscene amount of miles on my '07 Accord so I stocked up on 5w20 synthetic oils when there were sales and rebates. When I moved back to NYC, I pretty much just drove on weekends. With my growing family, I traded in the Accord for the Odyssey without realizing the recommendation of the 0w20 oil. Thus this thread was born....

Purchased a 2013 Acura TL and had my Acura dealer do the OCI's for the first 3 oil changes and they used Pennzoil 5W20 and the car calls for 0W20. Your odyssey and my FWD TL use the same J series motor. Clearly Acura/Honda warranties 5W20 since it was used by them, last month I switched to RP 0W20 because I want to do the OCI's myself. Use it!

@gerbils

Originally Posted By: Georgiey22
Purchased a 2013 Acura TL and had my Acura dealer do the OCI's for the first 3 oil changes and they used Pennzoil 5W20 and the car calls for 0W20. Your odyssey and my FWD TL use the same J series motor. Clearly Acura/Honda warranties 5W20 since it was used by them, last month I switched to RP 0W20 because I want to do the OCI's myself. Use it!

@gerbils

If anything went wrong with your engine related to oil, your dealer will pay for it. Honda manufacture may be able to decline warranty for using wrong oil grade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back