2015 Outback owner's manual oil recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Subaru feels that 0W-20 will be a better oil. It will also have a slight benefit in super cold environments...which Subarus would be expected to operate in possibly more frequently than other brands. And then of course the Subaru brand "is" 0W-20...lol. Why not require it. Not saying its necessary though.

Originally Posted By: geeman789
0w20 is used by Subaru for one reason... fuel economy. And if you use 0w20 for the EPA testing, you are required to list it as the recommended oil grade...

Subaru has poor fleet CAFE numbers... they don't have a Yaris or Fit or Micra type subcompact in their line-up to boost the average... so they "require..." the 0w20 to eak out every tenth of an mpg...

The reasoning is that the 0w20 is slightly less thick when cold, so when the cold engine is started the oil pumps and flows with slightly less energy required, using less fuel as the engine warms up... which is true, but to a very small degree...

And once the oil reaches operating temps, a 5w20 is the same viscosity as the 0w20.

Warranty is the only issue when using the 5w20... most dealers ask for proof of oil changes, not proof of oil grade. Will a dealer play hardball if you use 5w20 and have a problem... ? Maybe, maybe not... but you won't know unless you have an engine issue under warranty... !

The OP quoted the owners manual and it says "for optimum performance and protection". That doesn't sound like fuel economy (CAFE) only is the reason for 0-20 oils. There's a lot more to using 0-20 than just economy.

I have a 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek with the same language in the manual. I think it is more important to change your oil more frequently and use a full synthetic (rather than blend or dino in this engine) than argue about a 5W20 or 0W20 full synthetic oil.

I have primarily used 0W20, but also tried Penzoil Platinum 5W20 when that was what was available at the local Wal-Mart. I recently went on the Mobil Oil website and they even state that their 0W30 can be used in the FB20 engine on their oil selector.

I don't think Subaru can get out of a warranty issue because 5W20 was used when their own manual does not prohibit its use and in fact allows top off with much higher viscosity oils when 0W20 may not be readily available.

Last edited:
I would use new bottles of 0W-20 at 1Litre/Qt less than full and "top up" *cough cough* with 1 Litre/Qt of your 5W-20 stash. They don't say when you can top up, so just top up as part of your change. They can't complain, because the existence of a litre/Qt of 5W-20 in the sump with 0W-20 is allowed by your manual.

Once your supply of 5W-20 is gone, buy the recommended oil exclusively.

I think it unlikely they will even be able to determine there is a litre/quart of 5W~ in the sump amongst the 0W~, but of course if there is any problem whatsoever with the motor or oil consumption the less you volunteer the better.

Last edited:
Seems like alotta people on this board drive Subarus. There's gotta be some kind of psychiatric reason for that.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
I would use new bottles of 0W-20 at 1Litre/Qt less than full and "top up" *cough cough* with 1 Litre/Qt of your 5W-20 stash. They don't say when you can top up, so just top up as part of your change. They can't complain, because the existence of a litre/Qt of 5W-20 in the sump with 0W-20 is allowed by your manual.

Once your supply of 5W-20 is gone, buy the recommended oil exclusively.

I think it unlikely they will even be able to determine there is a litre/quart of 5W~ in the sump amongst the 0W~, but of course if there is any problem whatsoever with the motor or oil consumption the less you volunteer the better.

thumbsup2.gif
Love that idea.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Seems like alotta people on this board drive Subarus. There's gotta be some kind of psychiatric reason for that.
grin2.gif

Yup. Go for a test drive. They're solid and reliable. AWD approaching Audi's at 1/2 the price plus very good mpg.

And I want to be in this club LOL

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Subaru owners have the highest credit ratings and safest driving records in America.

I'm pretty sure this is a case of "any oil is better than low / no oil" - it won't kill it, you can make it home, but don't leave it in there longer than you have to.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: geeman789
0w20 is used by Subaru for one reason... fuel economy. And if you use 0w20 for the EPA testing, you are required to list it as the recommended oil grade...

Subaru has poor fleet CAFE numbers... they don't have a Yaris or Fit or Micra type subcompact in their line-up to boost the average... so they "require..." the 0w20 to eak out every tenth of an mpg...

The reasoning is that the 0w20 is slightly less thick when cold, so when the cold engine is started the oil pumps and flows with slightly less energy required, using less fuel as the engine warms up... which is true, but to a very small degree...

And once the oil reaches operating temps, a 5w20 is the same viscosity as the 0w20.

Warranty is the only issue when using the 5w20... most dealers ask for proof of oil changes, not proof of oil grade. Will a dealer play hardball if you use 5w20 and have a problem... ? Maybe, maybe not... but you won't know unless you have an engine issue under warranty... !

The OP quoted the owners manual and it says "for optimum performance and protection". That doesn't sound like fuel economy (CAFE) only is the reason for 0-20 oils. There's a lot more to using 0-20 than just economy.

The manual also says this:

Quote:
Engine oil viscosity (thickness) affects fuel economy. Oils of a lower viscosity provide better fuel economy. However, in hot weather, oil of a higher viscosity is required to properly lubricate the engine.

See 11-13 from the 2015 Subaru Outback owner's manual:
http://techinfo.subaru.com/proxy/91583/pdf/ownerManual/091583_2015_Legacy/MSA5M1504ASTISvD_16.pdf

-Dennis

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sds911
I have a 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek with the same language in the manual. I think it is more important to change your oil more frequently and use a full synthetic (rather than blend or dino in this engine) ...

In this non-turbo engine, synthetic or conventional oil would be fine, IF reasonable OCI's are followed. Subaru spec'd synthetic oil to allow for longer oil change intervals, and perceived lower maintenance requirements...and for the fuel economy benefits derived from an 0w oil (always synthetic or blend) ... but then they revised OCI's downward for the 2015 model year...from 7500 miles to 6000 miles...

Last edited:
I do 6K/6 months for my '14 Subie.

Unfortunately, if you want to keep that warranty, stick with 0w20 but keep some of that 5w20 for top-off, etc. I think that with all makes moving towards extended drain (I see it in my fleet when we went from 5000 to 7500) The oil consumption is going to be more noticeable with 0w and extended drains but it really was never a major problem for Subies. Heck, the bullet-proof 'yoda engines were some of the worst offenders for burning oil. However, Subarus have very different service needs and are not gas-and-go reliability like Toyota. I think that is going to trip a lot of the "new" Subie owners up.

Smarter, better drivers, better finances, and better looking... that is why I drive TWO Subarus. =P

Originally Posted By: another Todd
I wonder if you have your oil changed at the dealer if they would use 0-20. I kind of doubt it. Bulk 5-20 or 5-30 is my guess.

Except that Subies have been using 0w20 for a few years now and for about 90%+ of their models (anything using the 2.0NA or 2.5NA). My guess is that they stock 0w20 as there bulk and have some 5w30 maybe in bulk, maybe another stash exclusively for those pesky 3.6 and turbos still lingering around.

It is not like Subaru to have a lot of engines needing different items. Subies have a history of using only 2 or 3 engines for decades...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back