New Honda Ridgeline rendering....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Inoffensive, but middle of the road isnt what the original Ridgeline was. It was a bold, polarizing design. I do like the current Accord and Civic Si though.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Inoffensive, but middle of the road isnt what the original Ridgeline was. It was a bold, polarizing design. I do like the current Accord and Civic Si though.

Pretty good point. I think maybe Honda thinks that it WAS too polarizing because of it's bold design. Who knows.

Regardless if this is a great pickup or not...and/or if it has good sales numbers...the die-hard pickup truck purists will abhor it just as they do the current model.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Originally Posted By: wemay

Pretty good point. I think maybe Honda thinks that it WAS too polarizing because of it's bold design. Who knows.

Regardless if this is a great pickup or not...and/or if it has good sales numbers...the die-hard pickup truck purists will abhor it just as they do the current model.

Its crazy though how the old ridgelines hold their value up here atleast. If they were priced half reasonably I'd seriously consider one.

Funny how when the original Ridgeline came out I liked everything about them but couldn't get past how odd they looked from the side. Over time they grew on me and now I look at this new one and think it looks too vanilla. Think I'd rather get a used, old style one if I were in the market.

It seems like adding a frame or partial frame would be a major design investment in a very low volume vehicle that isn't intended to carry heavy loads day in and day out. Honda doesn't have other applications for a frame/partial frame vehicle that would allow them to spread out the cost. I just don't see why they would make that change 10 years down the line from when it was introduced.

It will be interesting to see where they go with this.

I can see how the rendering is influenced by the sketch Honda released, but a lot of times these renderings are pretty far off from what the manufacturer ends up producing.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
It seems like adding a frame or partial frame would be a major design investment in a very low volume vehicle that isn't intended to carry heavy loads day in and day out. Honda doesn't have other applications for a frame/partial frame vehicle that would allow them to spread out the cost. I just don't see why they would make that change 10 years down the line from when it was introduced.

It will be interesting to see where they go with this.

I can see how the rendering is influenced by the sketch Honda released, but a lot of times these renderings are pretty far off from what the manufacturer ends up producing.

You are right...after all, it is just a rendering that claims to be accurate.
We'll see.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
ugly.

Cheap pickups are a dime a dozen. Mini trailers are easy to get.

So someone in corporate is actually implying that the millions of dollars to design, support, EPA and crash certify this vehicle which has minimal utility and benefit is a "worthy" investment, yet Honda cant do EPA certs to bring a diesel accord to the USA?

I don't know....but I sure love my Ridgeline. Certainly not "minimal" for my utility needs. Most heavier duty pickups never get used up to what they are designed for anyway.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
I am thinking this could grow on me.. I don't think its amazing or anything but I have seen worse looking things.

It could be far worse...but Honda is known for rather bland or conservative styling on some models.

I'd like to see the actual finished product before I decide if I like it or not. The rendering isn't all that nice...but maybe the final Ridgeline will look much better....or not.

CRV, Pilot now this..all look the same and tell me did they get rid of the timing belt fifteen years late?

Originally Posted By: Donald
Looks kind of blah to me. Not very exciting.

The entire Honda line so it fits in nicely.....

I like Honda products but you describe exactly what they are.

Another ugly feather hauler. wonder if they will mount the tire underneath. My BIL has a Crindgline, and was hauling some horse manure from a farm back to his house in the back, and on the way back got a flat LOL got to shovel it out and back in ! what idiots would bury the spare under a shelf in the bed!

Oh that "Earth Dream" engine name sounds groovy for the greenies~!

Well someone has to fill the void left when the s-10/ranger were cancelled
Though I'd go for the Subaru over this thing.
I'm not in to halfway trucks. Build a truck or build a car. Interbreeding the 2 is dumb.
My trucks work like trucks are supposed to work,so personally I've got no real use for this rice.
The tundra is a kick butt truck but I'd rather have an mds equipped hemi.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
I'm not in to halfway trucks. Build a truck or build a car. Interbreeding the 2 is dumb.

Vehicles like this simply present different strengths and weaknesses than traditional trucks offer, that's all.

You could say that your Charger RT is an interbreed of a family sedan and a sports car. Why take the performance penalty? Just get a Corvette instead, right? You probably desire the four doors, and accept the compromises that are inherent with a vehicle with the mass and long wheelbase of your Charger.

It's the same with halfway trucks like the Ridgeline (and older Baja and Explorer Sport Trac). This vehicle isn't marketed as a "work truck", and people who need or want a truck with that type of capability aren't this vehicle's target audience anyway.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: Clevy

Vehicles like this simply present different strengths and weaknesses than traditional trucks offer, that's all.

You could say that your Charger RT is an interbreed of a family sedan and a sports car. Why take the performance penalty? Just get a Corvette instead, right? You probably desire the four doors, and accept the compromises that are inherent with a vehicle with the mass and long wheelbase of your Charger.

It's the same with halfway trucks like the Ridgeline (and older Baja and Explorer Sport Trac). This vehicle isn't marketed as a "work truck", and people who need or want a truck with that type of capability aren't this vehicle's target audience anyway.

Thank you for explaining this to those that don't get it.

I've owned the whole range of pickups at one time or another (excluding huge Superduty types)...including F150's, Ford Rangers, Nissan, Toyota 4x4 pickup, and two Ridgelines).

I see the value in all of them....and quickly tire of the people that just like to slam or attack others because a particular pickup doesn't appeal to them. Much of the insults toward the Ridgeline seems to stem from some folks feeling threatened that the traditional American pickup may go away or something. I have no idea why the attacks against the Ridgeline. Maybe an ego-tied-to-truck-ability thing? Or pick-up guys despise anything Japanese (because they are still fighting Pearl Harbor).

All I can say is that out of all the pickups I've owned, the Ridgeline suits my needs in the best way. No...I don't have a need to pull a four-horse trailer...nor haul a fifth-wheel trailer...or load a bed full of gravel. So why do I need a truck that can do all that if I have no need? Ego? Maybe worried my beer bellied work associates will smirk at me unless I drive an F250?

Anyway...my Ridgeline is FANTASTIC....and I hope the new model will be even better.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: VNTS
Another ugly feather hauler. wonder if they will mount the tire underneath. My BIL has a Crindgline, and was hauling some horse manure from a farm back to his house in the back, and on the way back got a flat LOL got to shovel it out and back in ! what idiots would bury the spare under a shelf in the bed!

Oh that "Earth Dream" engine name sounds groovy for the greenies~!

For safety and intelligence sake......you might want to realize that when you do get a flat....it really IS BEST to unload the excessive weight in the truck before jacking the vehicle. OEM jacks ARE NOT designed to lift a heavy load and the truck at the same time.

I'd probably also comment that hauling manure is probably not one of the anticipated uses of the Ridgeline. It's not intended to be a farm truck and it's not marketed to farmers. Sure, it could be used as such, but in that case (or in any case, really), the owner needs to be familiar with his vehicle and aware of the required procedures in case of a flat tire. Yeah, if the spare's trapped under a load of dung, you're going to have to shovel dung to access it.

This is similar to how people used to carry their spare tire on top of the van or station wagon on long trips to avoid unpacking the entire vehicle in case of a flat. What is they say..."an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"? A little bit of pre-planning can save a lot on the back end if there is trouble...

Or...how about a different, and perhaps more common, scenario: you're riding down the interstate to Disney World in your family sedan with a full trunk and get a flat. Your full-sized flat tire isn't going to fit into the compact-sized trunk well and allow the cover to close. So someone in the car's gonna have to ride with the flat on their lap.

There isn't a vehicle out there that comes with NO compromises, or a potentially awkward situation in the unlikely event of a flat tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back