Olive Oil for hummus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I began to make homemade hummus recently. I didn't like the way the first batches tasted, and I was stumped at the off taste it had despite following a recipe I got online.

I asked the opinion of a co-worker who is from Pakistan and said he used to eat a lot of hummus. He tasted the hummus I made, and said it is the type of olive oil I used that is causing the undesirable taste. He was not sure what brand of olive oil his mother-in-law used in her delicious homemade hummus, so he was not able to suggest a brand.

I am using a store brand oil, but I don't want to waste time and money buying and trying a variety of olive oils.

Any suggestions for a tried and proven olive oil for around $15 a bottle.

I find some olive oils a little to strong for my taste. I aslo make hummus, but I use the Bertolli Extra Light olive oil. Use it for about everything. Give it a try. Not overly expensive either.

What are the ingredients you are using? I've tried making hummus a few times. It came out OK, but not awesome.

I've learned recently that you really do get what you pay for when it comes to olive oil. As in, the cheap stuff just doesn't taste as good. What type of olive oil did you use? I use EVOO for almost everything, but some say it is too strong for some types of food. Try olive oil or light olive oil next time.

Originally Posted By: Bud
I find some olive oils a little to strong for my taste. I aslo make hummus, but I use the Bertolli Extra Light olive oil. Use it for about everything. Give it a try. Not overly expensive either.

Thank you. I will look for it at a local grocery store.

I have been using Sprouts 100% Virgin Olive Oil.

Definitely go with the lightest oil for hummus. Bertolli Extra Light is good.

You can also experiment by replacing the olive oil with something with little flavor to see if that's the cause. Wesson Vegetable (soybean) Oil is very neutral, and cheap. That could help narrow down the issue.

I think this is the recipe that I used.

I lik tiny bits of sun dried tomatoes in my hummus...my wife makes it!
It's good but, I have to watch my sodium intake!

Last edited:
Gf adds red peppers, black beans and/or sesame oil depending on mood. I've never really been a fan of hummus but pretty good imo.

Extra Virgin only and buy a brand from California*

* Supposedly Calif follows the labeling / quality control of the group of olive growers in Europe. Imported olive oil only has to adhere to USDA definitions and can label it whatever they want.

Is your Tahini Fresh? One popular PBS cooking show recommends Joyva Sesame Tahini and Krinos Tahini. Both are carried by Fresh Market if they are in your area. Same show also recommended DaVinci Olive Oil and Colavita Olive Oil. They also recommend Columela Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Lucini Italia Premium Select Extra Virgin Olive Oil, and Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

Originally Posted By: icepickjazz
Is your Tahini Fresh? One popular PBS cooking show recommends Joyva Sesame Tahini and Krinos Tahini. Both are carried by Fresh Market if they are in your area. Same show also recommended DaVinci Olive Oil and Colavita Olive Oil. They also recommend Columela Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Lucini Italia Premium Select Extra Virgin Olive Oil, and Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

Thank you for the information. I will look into those items you mentioned.
I use Sprouts organic Tahini. Sprouts is a wonderful store that carries all sorts of fresh vegetables and produce, along with a bunch of other organic and no-organic products. But, even a great store can have not so wonderful private label items. Kind of hit-n-miss.

I make a batch of hummus a week on average. Krinos tahini, Colavita extra virgin olive oil and Goya chick peas are the base ingredients I don't deviate from anymore. Only time I have not used Colavita since I started using it was when my parents gave me a small can of first-press olive oil that was pressed the day they visited the little factory while in Italy. That is the absolute best you can use but obviously not something you will find often at any price. Chick peas play a big role and frankly the low to zero sodium "organic" brands suck. Cheap Goya just tastes better to me. I cheat a little and use the jar minced garlic and RealLemon lemon juice but I don't think there is much difference in flavor.

My base recipe is:

Krinos tahini
Colavita EV olive oil
minced garlic (I go heavy on it too)
Goya chick peas
lemon juice
little Seged hot paprika, salt, and fresh ground pepper

Blendtec blender with the Twister jar really blends it smooth too.

Originally Posted By: qdeezie
California Olive Ranch brand olive oil is really good in my opinion. They have some with different taste profiles.

Absolutely. Most "100% Virgin Olive Oils" are not. Read up on olive oils..you will learn a lot.

I have been making my own hummus for a little over 20 years. I have never found the olive oil to be a real issue. If it's a dark, strong type I just use a little less and a corresponding bit more water to get the consistency right. People comment it is better than any commercial product they have ever had. I am not a genius here; I took the recipe from a NYT cookbook from the early '60s.

What I have found to be super-critical is the brand of Tahini. I will not make it w/o Joyva (as mentioned already). It is in the Kosher section of Safeway stores in my area, and also Whole Foods Markets. It was easier to find when I was on the East Coast (I think they are out of Brooklyn). It is in a distinctive orange/white can so once you see it you will always recognize it. They have been at it about a century and no one does it better or more economically - the price for some tahinis in stores are double for much lesser product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back