Ghost Rider Rides Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
A testament to how serious the Cold War was and a testament to how seriously quality was a factor at that point in time when the B-52s were built. Very cool.

Originally Posted By: qdeezie
A testament to how serious the Cold War was and a testament to how seriously quality was a factor at that point in time when the B-52s were built. Very cool.

The C-130 was designed and built in the same timeframe and it's still in production. The Buff is planned on being in service until 2050! Both are awesome aircraft for thier role.

I am currently planning a trip to the Boneyard and the adjacent Pima Air Museum in Tucson. Hope to take a road trip with a USAF/airline buddy in early March.

Timely article.

There are a few B-52s left in the boneyard. I recall back when there were huge numbers of the earlier models there being chopped up and then left for Russian satelite overview with the treaty verifications. I played flight line maintenence with the Bomb/Nav Avionics on these remaining H models altho not much of my old system remains. I remember driving around the DM base when they were just stuffed with aircraft in '74. In those days my clearance badge and ID could get me a lot more places than today. I have old pics of me showing the Buff's to friends-relatives with no restrictions and nobody around. The Pima Museum is worth the visit.

I was at Pima / DM in January and didnt see any B52s on the public bus tour. Not to say there were none there, but none I saw. On a previous visit in 2006 I recall seeing several with their wings chopped off.
All the F16s lined up for drone target duty was rather sad. Guess they are running out or F4s for target practice.

Their "stealth bomber" being scrapped was a cute display
smile.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back