How long can Rotella T6 go between changes in a Briggs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was curious how long Rotella T6 could go between oil changes in my 1990 Craftsman GT6000 with an 18hp Briggs and Stratton opposed twin. Last July I changed it with Rotella T6 5W-40. I used it for mowing in summer and fall and plowing during the winter and the oil is still as clean as the day it was put in and haven't had to add any, oil currently has about 50 hours on it. Thanks

I would have said about 50 hours! You may be the exception to the rule. Maybe consider changing your oil once per season! Oil color(as you may already know) is no indication of the overall condition.

Does that motor have an oil filter? If so, perhaps longer. I like the 50-hour limit for OPE though. That's what B&S recommends for everything I have.

This one doesn't have a filter. I know color isn't an indicator, just thought I'd be able to go a bit longer since it's a diesel synthetic

Originally Posted By: TriMoto
This one doesn't have a filter. I know color isn't an indicator, just thought I'd be able to go a bit longer since it's a diesel synthetic

You certainly may be able to go further but, your guess is as good as ours!...or mine(speaking for myself).

smile.gif

Last edited:
For an OPE engine without a filter, I'd go 25-50 hours between changes. Have a spin-on filter? You can double that interval.

I don't think synthetic makes much of a difference here. The bigger factor is add-pack. metallic anti-wear adds as well as the corrosion inhibitors and adds used to neutralize acids that form as a byproduct of combustion.

Still, without a filter, these sumps accumulate a lot of undesirables quickly ... acids, moisture and metal shavings.
Best to drain this stuff off regularly.

If the oil is as clean as you say it is, I would run it another season and keep it topped off and not worry about it. That is really good oil.

This is a funny topic. Only an oil analysis can truly tell you if the oil is done, but the price of the knowledge is higher than the price of replacing the oil. If you're going to keep the machine, one report would guide you for the rest of the time.
My vote is to run it one year and dump it.

I'd say 50 hours to be safe on a Briggs with no oil filter. Without an oil filter the debris in the oil doesn't get filtered out. I run my Kohler with a filter for 100 hour intervals.

I'd say it is worth changing the oil a little early. Those Briggs opposed twins will run forever if taken care of. I did head gaskets on one last season (mice clogged up the cooling fins) and the cylinder walls still had the cross hatching in the bores. It was a 20+ year old 14.5hp engine and it ran perfect with no oil consumption. The owner has the oil changed every season.

Originally Posted By: TriMoto
So either get a UOA or change it come spring?

Yeah. $5 of oil or $30 for analysis. It's just easier to change it annually for me. I do all of my power equipment in the spring. It could be beat from running hot or diluted with fuel.

Mow the lawn once before draining it so the oil's hot and the contaminants are in suspension.

Yes TriMoto UOAs for OPE are rare. I think I did one on Dad's Honda tractor about a decade ago, but I don't think I've ever seen another one.

The obvious reason is that a UOA costs 10+ times more than an oil change so it's easier to just change it. When in doubt, drain it out.

Keep in mind, when looking at the oil on the dipstick, cold oil looks MUCH cleaner that hot oil. All the nastiest stuff has settled to the bottom of the crankcase. In other words, the oil is usually dirtier than you think.

Originally Posted By: 2cool
This is a funny topic. Only an oil analysis can truly tell you if the oil is done, but the price of the knowledge is higher than the price of replacing the oil. If you're going to keep the machine, one report would guide you for the rest of the time.
My vote is to run it one year and dump it.

This.

Rule of thumb is 50 hours without a filter and 100 hours with a filter. You have to worry about dust and dirt contamination in small engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back