Grocery store gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jk_636
I find it rather astounding that a forum dedicated to finding the best oils, additives, filters etc. would have people that buy cheap gas. You can do a lot more good for your engine by doing short OCIs of a mediocore dino oil and good gas, rather than using a top tier PCMO and cheap gas. Keep buying your bunker fuel if you must...

We must.
Not a whole lot of "Top Tier" options around here to partake of anyway.
My provider is the low bid winner as determined by Gas Buddy. Criteria is a clean, high volume station.
Bottle of Techron every OC and we are on our way.
Sold last car at 275K. Second owner reports that it is going strong @295K. Must have done something right.

If the truth be told, I am only a regular buyer of TT gas because QT is TT gas. They have the largest, cleanest, and most well-maintained stations around here. The price is competitive. I don't lose sleep over pennies after choosing the most fuel efficient vehicle I could. Since the cost difference is less than a penny per gallon to the retailer I would think that other fuels probably compare favorably without having paid the money for TT certification.

I miss the days when I just bought "gasoline" for my car.

OK, how do you define "cheap" and how do you know the gas is substandard to Shell? Do you test it somehow or are you privy to additive types and levels?

I find it rather astounding that a forum dedicated to finding the best oils, additives, filters etc. would have people that buy cheap gas. You can do a lot more good for your engine by doing short OCIs of a mediocore dino oil and good gas, rather than using a top tier PCMO and cheap gas. Keep buying your bunker fuel if you must...

Originally Posted By: Tdbo

We must.
My provider is the low bid winner as determined by Gas Buddy. Criteria is a clean, high volume station.
Sold last car at 275K. Second owner reports that it is going strong @295K. Must have done something right.

If you have a Shell station, then you have the option to buy good gas.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
OK, how do you define "cheap" and how do you know the gas is substandard to Shell? Do you test it somehow or are you privy to additive types and levels?

Cheap gas, noun, defined by gearheads abridged dictionary as anything that isn't shell gasoline.
grin.gif

There is quite a bit of info out there on the interwebs that shows how shells additives and PEA levels are superior to that of other "name brand" gasolines. All gas starts in the same pipeline, its the components they add that make it better. Do a little research, you may be surprised what you find.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
So you learned it on the interwebs.

ExxonMobil is cheap gas? Based on SOPUS marketing you have come to the conclusion that Shell is better than anything else?

Cheap gas, noun, defined by gearheads abridged dictionary as anything that isn't shell gasoline.
grin.gif

There is quite a bit of info out there on the interwebs that shows how shells additives and PEA levels are superior to that of other "name brand" gasolines. All gas starts in the same pipeline, its the components they add that make it better. Do a little research, you may be surprised what you find.
thumbsup2.gif

Yes that is exactly what im saying...
whistle.gif

There is a lot of third party literature and videos that show that shell gas contains somewhere between 2 and 5 times more additives (such as PEA)than other manufacturers. We also know that Techron is pretty much useless, as third party testing has shown that it is nowhere near as effective as we all thought it once was.

I have friends that work for XOM, SOPUS and many other big name manufacturers, so I really have no dog in this hunt. I just prefer gasoline that has superior cleaning properties. Shells marketing isn't just hype.

Last edited:
We also know that Techron is pretty much useless, as third party testing has shown that it is nowhere near as effective as we all thought it once was.

We do? I can find as many current 'third party' tests showing how effective Techron, and for that matter, Chevron gas, is at keeping things as clean as Shell. Shell is great stuff but it doesn't have the monopoly on fuel additives that work, including PEA.

Last edited:
OTOH, i do agree that using Top Tier fuels is an important consideration and those who espouse using a 'top' synthetic oil while saying any 'cheap' fuel will do, are missing this point. If you follow your owner's manual recommendation concerning oil certification, why not do the same if TT fuel is recommended... my manual does make such a recommendation and i do follow it, at least 95% of the time.

We must.

If you have a Shell station, then you have the option to buy good gas.

Sure I have that option if I choose to purposely drive 12.5 miles each way for a total of 25 miles to fill my tank. In my post about the $20 gift card, I held it until I was close for a Shell station.
My time is too valuable to drive 25 miles out of my way to fill my tank.
Kudos to you if you would do so under the same circumstances.

Originally Posted By: wemay
We also know that Techron is pretty much useless, as third party testing has shown that it is nowhere near as effective as we all thought it once was.

We do? I can find as many current 'third party' tests showing how effective Techron, and for that matter, Chevron gas, is at keeping things as clean as Shell. Shell is great stuff but it doesn't have the monopoly on fuel additives that work, including PEA.

+1.
So if I have this straight, the additive that Chevron uses in their pump gas is USELESS, but when you buy gas at their pumps with that very additive it is "Top Tier." LOL!

You have to understand that this poster has a history of posting sweeping definitive statements without a shred of substantiating data. When questioned he will then accuse you of only trying to be argumentative and will never give anything to support the original statement. Finally when cornered you will be told it has something to do with unicorns.

Just look back at some of the other threads he's been involved with and you will see what I mean.

So if I have this straight, the additive that Chevron uses in their pump gas is USELESS, but when you buy gas at their pumps with that very additive it is "Top Tier." LOL!

You have to understand that this poster has a history of posting sweeping definitive statements without a shred of substantiating data. When questioned he will then accuse you of only trying to be argumentative and will never give anything to support the original statement. Finally when cornered you will be told it has something to do with unicorns.

Just look back at some of the other threads he's been involved with and you will see what I mean.

Well aware of that, thanks. Logic does not seem to be a strong suit either.

I'm not arguing that point. There are many pea based cleaners that are outstanding. Gumout, RP max clean, etc. Another reason that shell fuels are superior due to the higher concentration of PEA.

Just not Techron, right?

I'm not arguing that point. There are many pea based cleaners that are outstanding. Gumout, RP max clean, etc.

Just not Techron, right?

I'm not arguing that point. There are many pea based cleaners that are outstanding. Gumout, RP max clean, etc.

That's what I've a problem with...Techron doesn't work (*), but everyone else' pea does...

(*) I'd at this point love to be wading through the comprehensive list of papers and third party data that back this up, but again, not a SINGLE reference that supports his position is provided in the vitriol.

I showed you a video. What have you produced that has proved anything to the contrary? Techron is just not as effective as other PEA based additives. Deal with it! Want some more info on top tier gas? Let me do so more research for you, as is customary on this darn forum.

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html
No grocery store gas on this list is there? Or did I just miss that?

http://www.shell.us/products-services/shell-for-motorists/fuels/nitrogen-enriched-gasolines.html

Some info on shell. Good reading material.

I showed you a video. What have you produced that has proved anything to the contrary? Techron is just not as effective as other PEA based additives. Deal with it! Want some more info on top tier gas? Let me do so more research for you, as is customary on this darn forum.

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html
No grocery store gas on this list is there? Or did I just miss that?

Apparently you missed it. Or didn't read your own link.

-Costco Wholesale
-CO-OP

And then there are the fast food/convenience stores places:
-Express Convenience Centers
-Holiday Station Stores
-QuikTrip
-SuperAmerica

21.gif

Just based on prices here, I don't see how top tier gas can cost that much more. All the stations prices usually track within 1% of each other. Costco is the standout by being 1-2% cheaper than the rest.
I've almost always used Ultramar which isn't top tier, but has their own refineries and tends to be the instigator in a price drop. Esso usually leads the price hikes so I never go to their stations if I can help it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back