honda gcv 160 OUTBOARD motor !

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a frankinstine outboard motor, its got the gcv 160 on it.

since boat motors are always under load, should i run 15w40 in the case instead of the 530 or 1030 ? this motor was a pressure washer engine in its original life. not sure if that makes much difference.

if i let the motor sit and idle ( 15 minutes ) the case is still isnt hot hot like my 190 pressure washer (operating as intended)

what do you think ?

15W40 should be fine. Lets see a picture of this badboy!!

Sounds interesting and weird, right up my alley (and many others here on Bitog I'm sure)

Be super careful not to hit the prop on anything. These engines are fragile, and the cam gears will snap quick. Trust me. I've seen probably 30 cam gears on these engines snapped over the years and they were always on the pressure washer engines.

i have a couple videos on my phone. my dad and myself made this back in 2010 and now its for my fishing boat to be like a (mud motor) or trolling motor.

the videos i took were for facebook and they arent detailed videos. ill take one showing how it is attached to the motor

the biggest hurtle of (function) was getting it to idle at a reasonable speed. i had to rape another motor of its carb and make the mixture screw useable to get the lower idle. i was shocked with how much torque this 5hp motor puts out. i now have to finish the controls to fit my 20 ft ski/bass boat so that i can operate it off the i/o drive

pics! what lower unit did you use?
I know that briggs made some outboard with their engines on...

So awesome! And great use of a Chrysler donor body setup
thumbsup2.gif

Honestly, I dont Care for outboards in the first place. I'd make one of these with a 20hp briggs or make a mud motor before I buy another one.

Very cool, and I'm completely convinced that small outboards should be built this way. Briggs did so for a while, but being a Briggs, it was not exactly a perfect execution.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Very cool, and I'm completely convinced that small outboards should be built this way. Briggs did so for a while, but being a Briggs, it was not exactly a perfect execution.

i could have not said it better myself.

i know our racing gokarts were highly modified and things had to be reinforced to the brim...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back