Sad Toyota ... Really Sad. Not like the ol days

Status
Not open for further replies.
The truth still can't defeat the Toyota quality mythos.

Toyota's no worse and no better than anyone else and never has been. Its just a car, not a way of life.

Originally Posted By: DemoFly
"Longest lasting cars on the road"

Fine print: "Based on consumer study"

Points for most concise burn
thumbsup2.gif

The 10.9 hrs assumes someone actually rushes in and performs the recall only. Most folks do them when they perform an oil change or other work.

My wife's Subaru is two recalls behind as we have not made it to the dealer (fuel line and brake line inspections) for an oil change yet. They even give free loaner since we bought new from them.

They tallied 30hrs of recalls on Cruze, yikes!!

I rented a Camry last week and I was not impressed. My 10 year old Grand Prix with nearly 160k miles seems more solid (even with its age) and better put together. The Camry's interior seemed chintzy, it was noisy, felt a bit underpowered, and was overall unimpressive. It seems like corners have been cut and therefore the number of recalls does not surprise me.

I guess...YMMV....My 1997 Toyota 4Runner, V6, SR5, 4WD, Made in Japan, is still pounding away with over 300K on the odometer. Ony recall that I've had was for the wiring harness on the trailer towing package and the rear springs. Those recalls were in 1998 and 2000. IMO....Best vehicle I've ever owned.

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
I rented a Camry last week and I was not impressed. My 10 year old Grand Prix with nearly 160k miles seems more solid (even with its age) and better put together. The Camry's interior seemed chintzy, it was noisy, felt a bit underpowered, and was overall unimpressive. It seems like corners have been cut and therefore the number of recalls does not surprise me.

I have never been impressed with it either. Just not my thing. I have always liked my W-bodies more.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Originally Posted By: NMBurb02

I have never been impressed with it either. Just not my thing. I have always liked my W-bodies more.

I am personally not in love with either car. However Camry appeals significantly more to buyer masses so they are doing something correctly with the agreeably "unimpressive" car.

Why would a carmaker want to design cars to last forever? Wouldn't the world be overpopulated with said brand,and thus no need to buy new ones.Killing the maker's future sales.

Originally Posted By: mongo161
I guess...YMMV....My 1997 Toyota 4Runner, V6, SR5, 4WD, Made in Japan, is still pounding away with over 300K on the odometer. Ony recall that I've had was for the wiring harness on the trailer towing package and the rear springs. Those recalls were in 1998 and 2000. IMO....Best vehicle I've ever owned.

Same here. My 2000 Tacoma 4x4 with a 2.7 has been absolutely bulletproof with nearly 200k on it. And I offroad frequently.

Very telling that 5 of the cars were Chrysley/Fiat products.

To be fair, number of recalls doesn't necessarily mean much. It depends on whether the recall is for re-routing wires to the vanity mirror, or if its for firmware that reboots causing loss of throttle control... Looks like they both get counted the same in this listing.

Recalls, in and of themselves, can be a GOOD thing if the carmaker doesn't try to duck them with "good faith" fixes after people get stranded.

All cars have recalls-So I'm not seeing a point here.

It's all what the consumer wants to think I guess.....

"Toyota's no worse and no better than anyone else and never has been"

So you are saying that the Toyota's in there Hay Day were no better than Yugo or (Write your Hate Brand here)

??

The article is horse [censored].

The majority of the concern on Camry is addressing the imaginary sudden acceleration issue.

Cars would be better if ambulance chasing attorneys weren't around.

These class action bloodsuckers continue to be encouraged by settlements reached to avoid the high cost of actually going to trial.

I've owned them all and Toyota does make more reliable automobiles that any other manufacturer.

Also noticed the Cruze was number one. I'd be willing to be most of them are related to the 1.4 engine...always thought that it was not timed tested enough here....

Originally Posted By: 29662

Same here. My 2000 Tacoma 4x4 with a 2.7 has been absolutely bulletproof with nearly 200k on it. And I offroad frequently.

Very telling that 5 of the cars were Chrysley/Fiat products.

I think '97 and '00 fall into the Toyota "good ol days" the OP referred to in the thread title. I would definitely look into a Toyota SUV or pickup from that era if I had the need for such a vehicle.

I am not a fan of the Chrysler 200s I have rented over the years either or the Challenger I rented back in September. The Jeep Grand Cherokee I had a few months back was great though.

I am a big fan of Ford right now. I have rented quite a few Fusions and they are now my go-to rental vehicles. I will pass up fullsized Chrysler, Toyota, and VW products for a base trim Fusion. If an Impala is available, I will take that over the Fusion.

My 95 T-100 2wd 3.4 V6 Auto is currently at 467k mileage. It does appear that Toyota has seen a quality decline recently but my truck doesn't suffer from that at all. Consistent 21-23 mpg on the highway. I do all my own repairs and maintenance and other than oil, coolant flushes, trans flushes and timing belts, there hasn't been much of that either. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

I'd rather see more factory recalls than, say the dreaded ignition key lock (switch) issue that GeeeAmmm is still dwelling on (without issuing a massive recall), which means that most folks whose driving with that within is a deathtrap on wheels....

Q.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back