Difference between Mobil 1 regular vs. Extended Se

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the real difference in these two oils? I'm looking at getting a Chevy chassis motorhome with the 6L v8. I think it calls for 5-30 oil. I will use Mobil 1 (always have)but wondered if I should go with the EP since I consider it to be "extreme service" hauling all that weight around.

EP has an 18% +/- stronger additive package, has double the amount of PAO, and is a more shear stable product than regular Mobil 1.

For "extreme service", you might also consider Mobil's 0W-40 or mixing a 50/50 blend of 5W-30 EP and 0W-40 for a very robust oil for long-term hauling. (0W-40 has a stronger additive package than EP, which is better than regular Mobil 1, which is no slouch.)

Right now, EP and the regular version are the same price ($26.68 per 5-quart jug) at Walmart and there is a $12.00 rebate per 5-quart jug available from Mobil (up to two jugs with a max rebate on Mobil 1 being $24.00). 0W-40 is also $26.68 and is a world class oil; EP is underrated IMHO and is what I use in my vehicles.

Originally Posted By: PFinch
Why not use a product with a base oil that is 100% PAO without impurities

Because PAO isn't all that great in regards to additive solubility,drying out gasket materials among other things.
It's great as far as cold flow goes but just like most things in life one size doesn't fit all.

LOL. That statement doesn't even make sense. Do you mean those pesky impurities called additives?
smile.gif

Likewise it is also poor at dissolving and retaining degradation byproducts.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Because PAO isn't all that great in regards to additive solubility,drying out gasket materials among other things.

Mobil has been pretty straight forward in their product line and descriptions. They have a pretty solid line of products. They may or may not be the absolute best in every category or even any category but you can use them with confidence knowing that your engine will probably outlast the rest of the car or at least your interest in continued ownership.

Most negative or even positive comments are anecdotal in nature and leave you to make up your own mind. If Mobil claims their EP oil is for extended intervals you can believe them. The more important decision is, do you want to do extended intervals?

Basically what everyone else said. M1 is a fine oil and EP just takes it another step with more additives and more robust for longer drain intervals. I use EP in all my vehicles but rarely take my oil changes past 6500 miles. The extra margin of safety is what I like and with the price at Walmart being the same either M1 or EP - it's a no brainer to get the EP.

Thanks all. RV already has 700 miles on it from delivery from the factory. Since it's new, I want to protect the warranty but use the best protection. Sounds like the EP will work well for me.
Would you change the oil right away or run some more miles before doing it??

If someone is set on using a 30 weight M1 product, which would show less wear on a standard OCI of 7500 ?

0w-30
5w-30
5w-30 EP

How would you ever know the answer to that?

Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX
If someone is set on using a 30 weight M1 product, which would show less wear on a standard OCI of 7500 ?

0w-30
5w-30
5w-30 EP

I was wondering if EP was better at extended OCI's ... where regular was better in standard OCI's ?

What is your understanding ?

Originally Posted By: loneryder
Thanks all. RV already has 700 miles on it from delivery from the factory. Since it's new, I want to protect the warranty but use the best protection. Sounds like the EP will work well for me.
Would you change the oil right away or run some more miles before doing it??

I'd change the oil and filter now with a regular dino oil like PYB and then upgrade to EP at 5K, unless you're going on a trip very soon, where EP might help pay for itself in fuel savings.

0w-30
5w-30
5w-30 EP

In theory, at a 7500 OCI they should be the same. But, you have to add in your climate, operating conditions, etc. into the equation. M1EP at 7500 would be a waste since it can go twice that and I do not think you would gain anything from EP--it is designed to be an extended drain oil.

I was wondering if EP was better at extended OCI's ... where regular was better in standard OCI's ?

What is your understanding ?

I've run both M1 5W-30 and M1 5W-30 EP in my Mazdaspeed 3 using a 7,500 mile OCI and the UOAs really didn't show a significant difference between the two oils with respect to wear or TBN. Like GMBoy, I use 5W-30 EP for the extra margin of safety...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back