Consignment

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to sell my 2011 Hyundai Sonata and can't get any buyers so far. I have had it up for sale for a little over two months. I have tried selling in on Carsdirect and it was a no go. I even put it on my uncle's street because his son sold his car within a few days. I am just wondering if consignment is the way to go. Any answers would be great thanks.

What are the details on the car? How much are you asking for it? Try Carmax? Odds are it is priced too high or not in great condition if it hasn't sold yet.

Originally Posted By: RhondaHonda
What are the details on the car? How much are you asking for it? Try Carmax? Odds are it is priced too high or not in great condition if it hasn't sold yet.

This is my first thought too. According to a few used car dealers, tax season is the best time to sell (and the worst time to look for) a used car so IMO, you shouldnt be having issues?
21.gif

Usually if you are not getting calls, you are priced too high. Anything can sell, as long as the price is right.

If the car and title are clean, that's a great candidate for a sale to Carmax. They'll at least give you a good value to go off of.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
If the car and title are clean, that's a great candidate for a sale to Carmax. They'll at least give you a good value to go off of.

Exactly. CARMAX is a great organization and will buy your car from you within an hour or two. Or you can use their estimate as a pricing tool, I've found that they generally pay between $1000-$2000 less than what you can sell it for - if you had a buyer, that is.

My wife was in the same spot late last year. She couldn't sell her 2012 Mazda3 on her own. I think when you try selling a later model car for say $11K, most people would rather buy it at a dealer, even if they are paying cash.

It could be the financing; late model cars are too expensive to pay for all at once. And banks don't want to risk private party sales.

Dealers know this and will lowball you on your trade. But what are you going to do?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: dernp
Usually if you are not getting calls, you are priced too high. Anything can sell, as long as the price is right.

I agree with the above comment.

Carmax will lowball the heck out of you. That's how they can afford to sell cars at a reasonable price without haggling and still make a profit - because they bought the cars for a steal. Last year when the wife and I bought her Subaru, we were looking to trade in her Nissan Rogue. Two dealers were offering us about $13k for it at trade-in. Carmax wouldn't give us more than $9500. We told them their offer was insulting and left.

i would sell it on ebay, before anyone sees it. i would detail every inch of it, including the motor
remember presentation is 9/10 of the sale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back