Thinking of buying this Truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Trav
It seems like thats all the money for that truck.
I can only go by what my brother bought. A new Toyota Tundra in the same model year (not almost 2 model years old) V8 4WD, king cab with towing package and really well equipped with bed liner for $28K even.

Nice thing is a V8 with no DI and 4 doors with towing package. Not suggesting you go Toyota but for the sake of comparison its a lot more truck for not too much more money.

Your not getting a brand new Tundra with those options for $28k, more like $38k.

Did someone else say the price probably has EVERY incentive applied??? Farm, Military, trade in etc...great way to get you in the door! Then WAMMO!

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Looks like a good truck, just missing power windows. I won't have another truck without them, to wide to always reach over and crank!

I don't know why people keep ragging on the new 4.3, its slightly more powerful than last years 4.8 V8!

That truck is a better truck than the older one, its lighter, more powerful, has rear disc brakes, and a 6spd transmission!

The only thing a 2012 version with the V8 will get you is a larger gas bill.

The old adage of always get a V8 in a truck went out the window in the 2014 model year with all the manufactures. Now even the weakest of V6's make almost 300hp, that's more than enough juice for a half ton.

The thing is, when you have an old adage, it takes a long time to go away. A lot of people will and do buy V6s, but there is going to be the "you need a V8 because it's a big truck with 4WD" thinking too.

Most of the largest available V8s in 1/2 ton pickups before 1999/2000 or so made less than 250 HP. In day to day driving, the new V6s will probably feel faster/stronger. People just like the idea of their big truck having a big V8.

And honestly, as much money as the manufacturers want for these things, I am inclined to demand a V8, but the reality is they are headed towards smaller engines. Ford is pushing it more than anyone else. My Ranger's 3.0 V6 now has greater cylinder displacement than some F-150 engines.

Originally Posted By: Trav
It seems like thats all the money for that truck.
I can only go by what my brother bought. A new Toyota Tundra in the same model year (not almost 2 model years old) V8 4WD, king cab with towing package and really well equipped with bed liner for $28K even.

Nice thing is a V8 with no DI and 4 doors with towing package. Not suggesting you go Toyota but for the sake of comparison its a lot more truck for not too much more money.

Your not getting a brand new Tundra with those options for $28k, more like $38k.

Your calling me a liar?
I was there when he bought it 2 years ago, brand spanking new. The new model just came out it was a leftover. $28K cash including rebate going to dealer.

My brothers has a more equipment that this one. So much for 38K eh?

http://westborotoyota.com/Brand-New-Toyo...CFWIV7AodlCcAJA

Last edited:
I'll speak for the Tundra 5.7s.

Just price out an entry level Tundra reg cab 8' box with the 5.7L. It's twice the truck of the Chev and prob similarly priced.

I owned a Sierra 1/2 ton with the 4.3. I went thru brakes and u-joints faster than parts guy could stock them.

Finally went with the Tundra because 75% of the truck is domestic.

WT+V6 combination is often a turd imho.
It's already suffered a year of depreciation in spite of its 2 miles if that matters to your accounting department.

Probably a decent new truck for that money but a little more up front could get a much nicer model.

Originally Posted By: splinter
WT+V6 combination is often a turd imho.

WT isn't what it used to be. This truck is, but a lot of WTs have power windows/locks and carpet.

Oh for regular cabs check out the Ram and Ford's. After my generation Chevy killed the storage behind the seats. With the Ram Tradesman you can store prints, tool boxes and some Dewalt boxes fit nicely. On the new Chevy's maybe a jacket if your lucky will fit back their.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Originally Posted By: Tdbo
Looks like someone screwed up when they ordered that truck.

It could also be a situation where GM told them "you will put this truck on your lot if you want this other truck." Either way, I am sure the sales manager hates looking at it.

$24K is a decent deal IMO. I would try to get them to go even lower though because this truck has everything against it...small engine, reg cab, long bed, old stock, crank windows. If the odo still shows 2 miles, that means the farthest this truck has driven in probably a year is on and off the car hauler and around the lot. Nobody has even test driven it...if they did, they brought it right the [censored] back.

These are nice trucks though, and for a new one you will have a hard time doing much better price wise. At some point they will sell it just because it's a truck. It's not like trying to sell a 2 year old new Volt.

If I were considering this truck, I would go in and offer NADA value.
Odds are, that deal would be accepted (I have successfully done this before on other year old new vehicles.)
If the answer was no, I'd walk.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Looks like someone screwed up when they ordered that truck.

It could also be a situation where GM told them "you will put this truck on your lot if you want this other truck." Either way, I am sure the sales manager hates looking at it.

$24K is a decent deal IMO. I would try to get them to go even lower though because this truck has everything against it...small engine, reg cab, long bed, old stock, crank windows. If the odo still shows 2 miles, that means the farthest this truck has driven in probably a year is on and off the car hauler and around the lot. Nobody has even test driven it...if they did, they brought it right the [censored] back.

These are nice trucks though, and for a new one you will have a hard time doing much better price wise. At some point they will sell it just because it's a truck. It's not like trying to sell a 2 year old new Volt.

If I were considering this truck, I would go in and offer NADA value.
Odds are, that deal would be accepted (I have successfully done this before on other year old new vehicles.)
If the answer was no, I'd walk.

Why are you so 'hard up' on negotiating a good deal. You sound like the buyers on craigslist who will lowball whatever number you put on the site? Do you get all excited when watching wall street? Did you not get the job you wanted, like maybe one like in Boiler Room?

If you cant see yourself needing the additional power or the extra cab space, I say go for it if you feel the price is right.

With any car purchase, it doesnt hurt to shop around though.

Hi all,
Thanks for all of your thoughts. I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I really don't need a backseat or a V8. Mostly this will be used to go back and forth to work. I really want 4WD though.

This truck stickers for $33,200. The dealer is knocking off $2000 and there is $6750 in rebates that I qualify for. I have shopped this price a bit and I can't find a 4WD for less than about $27,000. (and those one were White)

Yes, it maybe a year old, but if I drive it for 10 years, will it really matter at that point. I will get the full warranty from the purchase date

Originally Posted By: Miller88
What's wrong with a truck without power windows?

Did you even read the post?

Looks like a good truck, just missing power windows. I won't have another truck without them, too wide to always reach over and crank!

Originally Posted By: Milkman
Thanks for all of your thoughts. I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I really don't need a backseat or a V8. Mostly this will be used to go back and forth to work. I really want 4WD though.

One thing you might want to think about if it's to be a commuter is storage space. I work in IT and grew up in North Jersey where if it's not nailed down it will grow legs. I always have a laptop with me and with a crew cab or extended cab there's that space to store it that is out of plain view in the tinted windows. Not perfect but good enough.

I'd think about that and maybe what you would do with your business stuff if you have to stop on the way home to get something. Or if you are using the truck during the weekend. It's not impossible to deal with not having a back seat but something to think about.

As far as the creature comforts nonsense. If it were me, and my commute of 45+ mins each way I want all the creature comforts, truck or not. My truck is a tool for our soon to be RV. I want to be in as much comfort as possible while I'm in it. It's a personal judgement. Some would be happy with a milk crate for a seat and manual everything. I want the leather and power goodies. Doesn't make it less capable or anytyhing like that.

Last edited:
man that one ***** truck, I never big fan of 2 DOOR truck, when it come to truck crew cab or nothing. They asking too much for that truck.

and you have better change to resale a CC, then a SC.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Miller88
What's wrong with a truck without power windows?

It's a work tool. Not a Cadillac. Not a brodozer impress your friends vehicle.

Trucks are to wide. If I had a nickle for every time I forgot to manually unlock my passenger door and had to walk back around I'd have a new truck by now!

Power locks are now standard, thankfully but windows are only about $500 more. Which on a new truck is not a lot. Its like springing for the $300 LSD, or $140 for the sliding rear window, why not your already $27k in the hole. Little options like that really make the vehicle much nicer to live with for the next decade.

Trucks hold their value I don't see any reason why this vehicle is a bad deal. Your only going to get a steal on a 2wd no option truck, or a Ford since 2014's are on sale.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back