Slædehunden

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting combination of engines: 2 12V Detroits, and a blown Chrysler Hemi. I like the weird stuff, and European tractor pulling has it. Rolls-Royce Griffons, Rover Meteors, big radials, Allison V1710's, etc. Run what you brung, and hope you brung enough. American tractor pulling has gotten too uniform, with everybody running 4 Chrysler Hemi's.

The most awesome pulling tractor I ever saw was probably the Banter Brothers modified with 7 blown big-block Chevies running in the 12000-lb unlimited class. After they came out with that one, the NTPA lowered the weight limit for the Unlimited class to prevent using so many engines.

Ho. Lee. Cow. Not often you see a pulling tractor practically brake to avoid overrunning the track...

More videos on the team website:
http://slaedehunden.dk/video.html

On some of them you can watch when the Hemi's butterflies open- it looks like the Hemi is mainly used at the end of the run to get extra distance. Quite effectively, I might add! There are a lot of "full pulls" on those videos.

Also on a lot of runs the two diesels don't appear to contribute equally at all- whether by design or something going wrong isn't clear. I never saw one flat-out go "bang" on the ones I watched.

FWIW- they're not Detroits despite the resemblance. They're Transmash V12's.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

On some of them you can watch when the Hemi's butterflies open- it looks like the Hemi is mainly used at the end of the run to get extra distance. Quite effectively, I might add! There are a lot of "full pulls" on those videos.

Also on a lot of runs the two diesels don't appear to contribute equally at all- whether by design or something going wrong isn't clear. I never saw one flat-out go "bang" on the ones I watched.

I wondered what the diesels were. I just thought it was really cool having that blown gas or alcohol engine up front to boost the power from the diesels.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

Those are Russian tank engines? Even more cool than Detroits. I was going by the shape of the the valve covers when I called them Detroits.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

Those are Russian tank engines? Even more cool than Detroits. I was going by the shape of the the valve covers when I called them Detroits.[/quote]

And I thought you were correct, also. But when I went to the website and saw a picture of 3 bare engines during assembly, it was clear they weren't Detroits. I'd never heard of Transmash before, but a little googling answered all. Makes the whole thing even more interesting! I'd like to know more about how the 3 engines are coupled together. I'm guessing torque convertors are involved somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back