Can I use 5w20 oil in 2014 Honda Odyssey?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a few leftover jugs of 5w20 Penzoil synthetic oil that I was using for my 2007 Honda Accord that I recently sold. I now have a 2014 Honda Odyssey and am wondering if it's safe to use the 5w20 oil in the Odyssey when the manual states that 0w20 oil must be used. Opinions? Suggestions?

Although I believe it is very safe, I also believe that you should stay with the recommended oil for warranty purposes. Maybe use the 5w20 in the warmer months only and stay with the 0w20 for the colder months.

It's a 20-grade, just use it. Nobody or nothing will know the difference. 5W is perfectly fine for your climate this time of year.

If it's Pennzoil Platinum Pure Plus you have, the 5W-20 is slightly thinner than the 0W-20 according to the datasheet. You or anybody else won't notice the difference.

It will be fine. However it could POSSIBLY cause warranty issues if something happened.

Not a chance. Stop the fear mongering. What could possibly happen? Who would go through the time and expense to prove anything? What's the worst that can happen? He won't get the advertised fuel economy rating? Good luck measuring that. It's a 20-grade. The vehicle is spec'd for 20-grade. It's Pennzoil synthetic, one of the lightest OTC 20-grades.

Originally Posted By: tireguy99
It will be fine. However it could POSSIBLY cause warranty issues if something happened.

The J series v6 are pretty reliable. If it has the VCM issues , Honda may try to pin it on using the wrong oil. But that is a good oil and shouldn't have any issues causing VCM sludge

Honda is notoriously difficult with warranties when it comes to fluid. If you ever have an engine issue you may have to PROVIDE RECEIPTS for your oil changes. That should show the required 0W-20.

Yes, it is safe to use. Yes, for those of us in the know the differences are minimal. However, 5W-20 is not approved by Honda and would easily give them an out to warrantying engine issues. For as cheap as oil is, to me it isn't worth the gamble, especially with the VCM engines our Odyssey's have. This isn't "fear mongering" as stated above, it is simply being smart and protecting your investment.

Originally Posted By: SF0059
Honda is notoriously difficult with warranties when it comes to fluid. If you ever have an engine issue you may have to PROVIDE RECEIPTS for your oil changes. That should show the required 0W-20.

Yes, it is safe to use. Yes, for those of us in the know the differences are minimal. However, 5W-20 is not approved by Honda and would easily give them an out to warrantying engine issues. For as cheap as oil is, to me it isn't worth the gamble, especially with the VCM engines our Odyssey's have. This isn't "fear mongering" as stated above, it is simply being smart and protecting your investment.

On the same token, Honda just cannot deny warranty because incorrect weight was used, they have to prove the incorrect weight caused a oil related failure.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
Originally Posted By: SF0059

On the same token, Honda just cannot deny warranty because incorrect weight was used, they have to prove the incorrect weight caused a oil related failure.

While that is true, in practice all they have to do is say no and then you are stuck putting pressure on them and perhaps getting it to court... I'll wager Honda has more lawyers on the payroll than the average consumer.

I simply don't understand why anyone would risk (no matter how small the risk) that aggravation over less than $100.00 with of oil.

In this instance based on what you have said the answer is NO for the following reasons.

I understand oil selection if a 5w-20 grade is recommended then you can use any equal to or lower winter grade ie 0w-30, 5w-30, 0w-40, 5w-40 etc

but you cannot increase the winter grade that is you cannot use a 10w-30, 10w-40 spec.

In this case as the recommended grade is a 0w-20 you could use a 0w-30 or 0w-40, but you CANNOT use a 5w-?? graded oil providing of course reference is made to the OEM guidelines taking into account the climate, extreme conditions of use and global specific requirements etc

To my knowledge the above guidelines have not changed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder

While that is true, in practice all they have to do is say no and then you are stuck putting pressure on them and perhaps getting it to court... I'll wager Honda has more lawyers on the payroll than the average consumer.

I simply don't understand why anyone would risk (no matter how small the risk) that aggravation over less than $100.00 with of oil.

If you want a check in the "win" column for internet discussion of the topic, you got it in spades. Everything you say is correct in a world of absolutes.

The point others are bringing up is that the use of 5W-20 name brand synthetic like the OP mentions for a couple of OCI's vs. the recommended 0W-20 and having a problem is so minute that you have a better chance of getting hit by a bus than some potential oil related issue here.

Only on BITOG do people pick the fly sh!t out of the pepper over such things.

Originally Posted By: virginoil
I undetsand if a 5w-20 is recommended then you can use a any equak to or lower winter grade ie 0w-30, 5w-30, 0w-40, 5w-40 etc

but you cannot increase the winter grade that is you cannot use a 10w-30, 10w-40 spec.

In this case as the recommended grade is a 0w-20 you could use a 0w-30 or 0w-40, but you CANNOT use a 5w-?? graded oil providing of course reference is made to the OEM guidelines taking into account the climate, extreme conditions of use and global specific requirements etc

Totally not true. The "W" rating is for cold pumpability and cranking viscosity specs, hence the number before "W" is not a grade. But as it was mentioned already, not worth the risk for potential warranty claim issues.

welcome2.gif
to BITOG

Kevin

If you want a check in the "win" column for internet discussion of the topic, you got it in spades. Everything you say is correct in a world of absolutes.

The point others are bringing up is that the use of 5W-20 name brand synthetic like the OP mentions for a couple of OCI's vs. the recommended 0W-20 and having a problem is so minute that you have a better chance of getting hit by a bus than some potential oil related issue here.

Not so dear friend. The issue here is not BITOGs relaxed approach to risk taking even if it is deemed small, it is the OEM view point which goes beyond BITOGs small membership when compared to vehicle ownership worldwide.

What others are point out to use a 5w-20 in this case is against the grain and against usual practice and not a smart thing to do anyways.

I simply don't understand why anyone would risk (no matter how small the risk) that aggravation over less than $100.00 worth of oil.

I don't disagree with you at all. In 99.9% of cases this stuff just doesn't matter.

I'd argue that a VCM Honda MIGHT be one of the .1% but still the chances of an oil related failure are infinitesimal.

The OP will be well informed and may weigh the risk for himself.

The OP will be well informed and may weigh the risk for himself.

Bingo!

The OP asked for opinions and he got them. He is a big boy and can weigh the costs/benefits ratio himself and make an informed decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back