Purple Ice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steve - track tends to be high loads, yes, but not for long periods and at very high airspeeds - cooling is generally less of an issue for a car on tracks than it is for a roadcar unless highly modified - that V10 racer I showed you a while back wouldn't even get over 85*c on the race circuits when testing, but it'll touch 105-106 if it's slogging through peat under a lot of load at low speeds.

Yes, OEM cooling systems these days cope with the cars in extreme temperatures and under conceived uses following the recommended loadings, for vast majority of people, probably 99.99% of them.
But, whether you like it or not, not everybody is doing that with their vehicle, not everybody has a standard vehicle, and the majority of cars have to run fan assists from the factory to cope with low speeds and high loads because it's impractical to make the radiators big enough to cope with the dissipation rates required - so instead of telling those people they don't need it, can we not have a discussion on whether it actually works or not instead?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jk_636
It works as asvertises in my truck. Apparently that isn't proof enough eh?

I have the distinct feeling that those who have called or snake oil is becuase it is made by RP. If it was an Amsoil or Redline product it would probably be the best thing since sliced white bread now wouldn't it? Dismissing it as snake oil is narrow minded poppycock.

I use almost all Royal purple products in my vehicles and have seen nothing but improvement since I switched. I can assure you it is not snake oil. The Royal purple refinery is about 45 minutes from my house. I'm not sure what kind of snakes fhey are using, but they must not be local becuase we still have plenty around here.

Well are you towing? Are you even coming close the the maximum that the cooling system can handle? If you are, sure this product is useful. If not, then it's a waste of money.

I think the questions should be,

"Have you noticed a change in temp?"

Yes.

"Does it warm up to operating temp faster and or run cooler as advertised?"

Yes.

"Are people making this a big deal because they dont want to believe that a RP product worked as advertised and isn't a snake oil?"

Yes.

"Was this a waste of money?"

No. It not just lowers temp, but reduces effects of electrolysis etc. Money well spent. If you dont want to try it, then dont. No one cares if you use it or not. This thread was just to inform those interested of my first hand experience with it. Feel free to take it or leave it.

Last edited:
I and most others here see no way it is possible that you are lowering the temperature. If you are, then you are affecting the operation of the thermostat, simple as that. And if you are affecting the thermostat, I sure would like to know how that is happening. Thats in a nutshell, is the crux of the argument here.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PhillipM
Steve - track tends to be high loads, yes, but not for long periods and at very high airspeeds - cooling is generally less of an issue for a car on tracks than it is for a roadcar unless highly modified - that V10 racer I showed you a while back wouldn't even get over 85*c on the race circuits when testing, but it'll touch 105-106 if it's slogging through peat under a lot of load at low speeds.

Yes, OEM cooling systems these days cope with the cars in extreme temperatures and under conceived uses following the recommended loadings, for vast majority of people, probably 99.99% of them.
But, whether you like it or not, not everybody is doing that with their vehicle, not everybody has a standard vehicle, and the majority of cars have to run fan assists from the factory to cope with low speeds and high loads because it's impractical to make the radiators big enough to cope with the dissipation rates required - so instead of telling those people they don't need it, can we not have a discussion on whether it actually works or not instead?

What racing have you ever done. Because on our oval I'm on the floor,then into the brakes,then on the floor again.
So I'm at full power for 10 seconds,into the brake for 4 seconds,then full blast for another 10 seconds.
So you don't know what the next you are even talking about.

And my electric fans don't even turn on unless I'm stopped.
My trucks come equipped with rad coolers for towing,and oil filers. I've never seen any of my trucks get any warmer while towing 6000 pounds vs empty.
I'm sure the thermostat spends a significantly longer time open when I'm towing but the temps stay pretty much the same.
And my charger is an rt. If I hold gears and rev it to the moon the oil gets really hot but in 5 minutes at highway speeds they are back to normal.
The cooling systems have to be adequate in a worst case scenario,and they are.
Ambient temps may affect the amount of time a thermostat stays open but has very little effect on max temps.

Originally Posted By: philipp10
I and most others here see no way it is possible that you are lowering the temperature. If you are, then you are affecting the operation of the thermostat, simple as that. And if you are affecting the thermostat, I sure would like to know how that is happening. Thats in a nutshell, is the crux of the argument here.

^+1...

^^^More like "wrong on".

Yep, he is so eager to make completely ridiculous statements in his posts and then when called on them simply become the "clever jab" guy.

His comments about fans, their functions and radiator sizing are completely erroneous and without factual basis, yet we are expected to simply be quiet and let him expound. Then he tries to redirect us back on topic!

Destroyed any credibility this thread had, and it had little to begin with...

As opposed to someone that just comes into the thread, tells everybody they don't need it, makes no effort to discuss the product, and just keeps cutting in with his own jabs and no facts too?

At least I tried to keep it on topic, what did your little posts add?
Same [censored] I had from you and the other regulars when I joined, how did it work out in that thread when I got 'called out' on what was supposedly my [censored]? You looked as silly as you do now, that's what.

If we've all done flinging excrement at each other, I'll say this again - I have used Silkolene's version of PI, on more than one occasion, on vehicles which are in an operating condition that places the thermostat wide open (easily enough encountered with any vehicle even in road use), and I saw a correlating drop of 2-3 degrees for the maximum operating temperature.
Now, different vehicles, conditions, etc, mean I can't control the test, so maybe it's just a coincidence, maybe it's correlation without causation, but it seems to have worked enough that I'm more inclined to believe the products do have an effect. I can go by them claiming a reduction in surface tension as although it seems it wouldn't be the case, it's pretty difficult to wet a surface perfectly with flowing water - hence the impingment jet designs for cooling direct-die electronics a few years back rather than just flowing the water over the top.
The question is, IF that's the case - it might not be - why is it not used in OEM coolants, because there must be a downside large enough (surface competition with the corrosion prevention additives perhaps?) for them not to use it.

Last edited:
With the kind of obsession he has on certain subject matter, and his vengeful/vindictive response (aggressive indeed, very aggressive), I think he's currently on BITOG time-out position.

Q.

It's really quite simple.

Purchasing products like Purple Ice significantly lightens the wallet. Since there is less weight to carry around, the engine doesn't have to work as hard and runs cooler. Invest in a few more of those magic additives, and your engine will not only run cooler, but get far better gas mileage since it doesn't have to contend with a wallet heavy with cash.

I have used Silkolene's version of PI, on more than one occasion, on vehicles which are in an operating condition that places the thermostat wide open (easily enough encountered with any vehicle even in road use), and I saw a correlating drop of 2-3 degrees for the maximum operating temperature.
Now, different vehicles, conditions, etc, mean I can't control the test, so maybe it's just a coincidence, maybe it's correlation without causation, but it seems to have worked enough that I'm more inclined to believe the products do have an effect. I can go by them claiming a reduction in surface tension as although it seems it wouldn't be the case, it's pretty difficult to wet a surface perfectly with flowing water - hence the impingment jet designs for cooling direct-die electronics a few years back rather than just flowing the water over the top.
The question is, IF that's the case - it might not be - why is it not used in OEM coolants, because there must be a downside large enough (surface competition with the corrosion prevention additives perhaps?) for them not to use it.

Your observations correlates with what Royal Purple are claiming.

And your closing question is a fair one.

Perhaps we can answer it this way:

1) In straight water, the water wetter reduces temperature by 20f
2) With coolant, it reduces the temperature by 6f

So in the presence of coolant, the water wetter's effectiveness is reduced.

Since it doesn't make any meaningful difference in coolant it doesn't make sense to add it to coolant.

As opposed to someone that just comes into the thread, tells everybody they don't need it, makes no effort to discuss the product, and just keeps cutting in with his own jabs and no facts too?

At least I tried to keep it on topic, what did your little posts add?
Same [censored] I had from you and the other regulars when I joined, how did it work out in that thread when I got 'called out' on what was supposedly my [censored]? You looked as silly as you do now, that's what.

If we've all done flinging excrement at each other, I'll say this again - I have used Silkolene's version of PI, on more than one occasion, on vehicles which are in an operating condition that places the thermostat wide open (easily enough encountered with any vehicle even in road use), and I saw a correlating drop of 2-3 degrees for the maximum operating temperature.

That's quite an assumption. How would you know the thermostat is ever wide open?

Here is another bottle of stuff for your radiator. Read the conflicting description below:

Heater Hotter formulated specifically to accelerate the transfer of heat from engine to cooling system in frigid climates that otherwise increase engine wear. Heater Hotter'sunique formula allows your vehicle's heater to warm up 50% faster in even sub-zero temperatures and is safe to mix with all types of anti-freeze. Just simply add to your radiator. Accelerates transfer of heat from engine to heater Improves engine warm-up time by 50% Simply add to radiator Safe with all types of anti-freeze Helps reduce engine wear.

Guys I'm not sure what to tell you. I put the product in, and it worked as advertised. It is a quantifiable difference I have noticed with my own two eyes. I'm not the type of person to make up stories to justify my purchase or fall for any placebo effect. How / why does it work? Not 100% sure. Has their been a reaction post additive in my cooking system? Absolutely. I am sure how it works? Absolutely not. I don't think any do. Will most likely remain a trade secret. Will I keep on using it? You bet!

Being mr. "on topic" doesn't mean you get to make up your own facts. Statements like most cars have undersized radiators and electric fans are somehow proof of your imaginations about radiator capacity did not prove a thing for or against the topic.

They were simply wrong. All I did was correct the misinformation you provided.

Got a problem with being wrong? Don't expect any mercy here. Make correct and fact based comments and no one will call you out on them. And neither yourself or anyone else is allowed to bring baloney here....

You should really stop being such a jerk on these forums. Everyone has the ability to express their own opinions. Which is all this site is, opinion. If you don't like it, then ignore it or find other threads to participate in

My opinion is that these things are a waste of money for street/coolant filled vehicles.

smile.gif

Originally Posted By: surfstar
My opinion is that these things are a waste of money for street/coolant filled vehicles.

smile.gif

Have you tried them? Or do you fall into the, "Ive never tried them, but I dont like them" category?
wink.gif

If you refer to Royal Purple's own testing which showed a temperature reduction of 6f under arguably contrived conditions, then surfstar's conclusion is reasonable.

Additionally, you changed your coolant and added purple ice.

So how much of your improvement can be attributed to the coolant change and how much to the purple ice?

Btw, are you the guy who uses a quart of MMO for every oci?

Originally Posted By: aa1986
If you refer to Royal Purple's own testing which showed a temperature reduction of 6f under arguably contrived conditions, then surfstar's conclusion is reasonable.

Additionally, you changed your coolant and added purple ice.

So how much of your improvement can be attributed to the coolant change and how much to the purple ice?

Btw, are you the guy who uses a quart of MMO for every oci?

-The coolant change should not be a variable, since I changed it WELL before it was time. The coolant is rated for 100k miles, I changed it at about 75k. The old fluid still looked great and was free of contaminants, visible rust etc. The Purple Ice was added 15k miles later. That is when the difference was seen.

-Yes I do use MMO in every OCI in the truck below in my description. Now that I have switched to a fully synthetic oil (Mobil 1 and RP HMX), I now only use it in my fuel as an additive to protect the components of the fuel system.
If you are trying to discredit me because I use MMO, try again. That is off topic and in poor taste. If you are wondering for information only, yes I am "that guy," and would be more than happy to discuss the merits of that additive in another thread some other time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back