92 integra trans fluid change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed my manual fluid today and just realized i put the fluid in a hole that apparently wasnt the fill hole. Transmission shifts better and still works but im wondering if the fluid still went to the same place it shouldve. Any insight is helpful. Im not sure why i thought it was the fill hole.

Last edited:
I refilled the trans by putting the fluid in a hole that apparently isnt the fill hole. the fluid went in and you could see into the trans but the hole is clear across from the actual fill hole. Im wondering if that could mess it up. I know the fluid went in the trans but I dont know where in the trans if that makes since.

Originally Posted By: Volv04Life
i put the fluid in a hole that apparently wasnt the fill hole.

So... what hole was it? Got a pic?

I infer from your post that you drained the old fluid. If so, and if you did indeed add the new fluid somewhere other than the transmission, then you are running with a dry transmission. This is not auspicious, and I would stop driving the car if I were you.

See the image below. What number did you think was the fill bolt? 15? 19? Other?
13sk701_m02.png

I put it in 16. I just went and drained and filled it using the correct spots. Thanks to all. This time worked out soooo much better.

also, I drained out exactly the amount i put in so im assuming the fluid made it to the bottom of the trans. I know that there is a hole up top you can use to fill it so the idea of using another hole to fill it isnt bugging me so much now. I just freaked when i saw my mistake after looking in the hanes maual.

Was the hole on the transmission? Was it even on the car? Was it on you?
Should be fine, if it didn't get into the transmission I'm positive you would have found out the hard way by now!

Originally Posted By: Volv04Life
I know that there is a hole up top you can use to fill it

But you're not supposed to do it that way. The correct fill hole is #19. The correct drain hole is #14.

#19 is big enough to stick your finger inside, and also big enough to be able to get a decent-sized hose in there for filling purposes.

If I were you, I would raise the car again -- LEVEL -- and make certain that the fluid dribbles out of #19. If it does not, then you will eventually damage your bearings and gears.

Since you put back in the amount that you drained, did it match what the factory calls for (i.e., say, you drained 3.7L and the manual says that the capacity is 4L. The 3.7L, in this generic example, would be close enough, including some residual that remains above the drain hole.)

The easiest thing to do, is what Tegger mentions, since it's idiot-proof. You fill through the fill hole until it dribbles out. There is no need to measure what comes out to figure out how much to put back in; there is no dipstick to interpret; there is no guessing. Just make sure you're level.

What I did on my STI once, when a lift wasn't available in the hobby shop, was lift the car on the driver-side, so that when I added the transmission lube it filled away from the hole. When I put in the amount that I expected to use, I did the following:

1. Lower the car so that it is on flat ground.

2. Check to see if any gear lube is dribbling out.

3. If oil dribbles out, you're done. If oil does not dribble out, continue to step 4

4. Raise the car again from the driver-side and add a couple of hundred mL more.

5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 until finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back