Which Pentofrost coolant to use for Audi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 07 Audi A8 4.2L, the coolant in there now is orangish/pinkish color. It needs to be topped off and I am confused as to which Pentofrost to use. Some say the SF and some say ++. I know you have to dilute it 50/50 with distilled water. Does it matter if I use the SF or ++? The car is has about 78K, I bought it used, and I'm assuming it's the original coolant (G12). Let me know. Thanks

Troubles occur when you mix some anti-freeze with another type. Pentofrost E is the way to go if you are adding. If you are going to flush out the old and put in all new, you can use any long life anti-freeze you like. (your warranty is long gone).

If it is orange-ish and pink-ish, that might mean that at one time, the system was topped off by someone else, and that someone may not have been aware of what coolant they were using.

I'd flush the whole system, then fill with whatever coolant matches OEM.

IMO this is the right stuff:
Glysantin G40 (VW TL774G approved) - it's the same as G12 plus plus

I have found that a VW or Audi dealer sells the gallon undiluted for less than the local parts store selling Pentofrost. Check with a local dealer he might have a better price.

I've found that NAPA has Pentofrost at good prices. If you order on line and pic up in store you get a further discount.

You say it needs topped off, but how much? If its not much I'd use water. If it needs so much topping off that water would raise the freezing temp too much then you need to check for a leak.

All engines are made from the same steel, aluminum, and rubber parts. All of the car makers have their own opinions on what is the ideal coolant. IMHO if you use one long life coolant, and only that one coolant, it doesn't really matter which one you choose.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
^^^ OMG. It is one thing to state an opinion, but perhaps a little reading might help?

http://www.carid.com/articles/antifreeze-explained.html

I read your reference. I still don't think it makes any difference as long as you don't mix. Obviously you have to follow the recommendation of the anti-freeze manufacturer as to how often to flush and renew.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back