Any a.m. coffee drinkers ever quit ... not easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do we have to give up stuff we enjoy. Nothing wrong with coffee just cut the sugar out of it.

I have 2-3 cups a day, light cream or milk in it only. Cumberland farms is my dealer of choice now.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ls1mike

I recently went through a large bout with steroids (prednisone) for my lungs. I put 30lbs on. Sucks.

!

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Ls1mike,

Are you diabetic?

Even if he is not diabetic, prednisone over time will run your blood sugar up. Most steroids will.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
2 cups a day currently..you guys drinking 10 cups per day or 2 quarts..wowza..i guess you dont drink much water? I know coffee is good for you but 10 cups seems excessive.

I drink plenty of fluids but wont disclose my beer consumption. LOL

For me, 10 cups would definitely be a cleaning OCI.
smile.gif

I can go without coffee, but my mind is out of focus during the morning if I can't have coffee. Drinking sodas with caffeine doesn't have any effect on my energy or my ability to concentrate.

Ive never been a coffee drinker. However, I do sometimes wake up with a headache I think related to how I lay when I sleep. Ive found that caffeine helps resolve this. Sugar free with light cream or half and half are my favorites. No flavors or scents. If I have a cup because of this once a week or two, that's a lot. I will drink coffee as a social thing on occasion. Without the sugar, I figure there are far worse things to drink. And while I have a sweet tooth, I have no desire for sugar in my coffee (fortunately).

One of the reasons Ive never drunk coffee is that I have a fear of being addicted to caffeine. I wouldnt want to because Im sure I wouldnt be good at going through withdrawl.

I have friends who drink 4+ cups in the morning. I cant believe that. If you cant get through the day with sufficient energy, then something is wrong and a lifestyle change is needed. Once in a while as a pick-me-up is one thing. Daily? Thats scary to me.

I have a cup perhaps 3-4 times/week. A number of times I've gone a week or more without coffee and there have been no side effects-with or without it I still have plenty of energy. I simply enjoy the taste of an occasional cup of coffee.

If for some reason I had to give it up I could easily stop drinking it. I don't see any reason for that since I don't suffer from any of the maladies that many of the folks who posted here seem to have.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Ive never been a coffee drinker. However, I do sometimes wake up with a headache I think related to how I lay when I sleep. Ive found that caffeine helps resolve this.

Same here, only I drink it black. It beats popping a couple Excedrin for the headache, which is chock full of caffeine anyway.

When I was trying stop/cut down/quit caffeine from my coffee(I don't drink Tea or Soda), I found that I still needed my boost in the morning. But after the 1st cup(~12 oz), I could drink decaf for the remainder of my needed fix of hot coffee in the morning!

I still need the flavor of some strong coffee, even if it's only Decaf! I drink my coffee very HOT & black(NO cream/sugar) and I like it ROBUST! Not driveway sealer(as my Dad-*RIP* would like) but, close!
shocked.gif

I have found that this works for me and, a good strong cup of Decaf even for my afternoon coffee break(after 2-3 p.m.) has taken care of my FIX!

I need to know in my head that, I am having some coffee at my certain time(s) of day to relax as this is something that I've been doing for some 50 + years!

EVEN IF IT'S ONLY DECAF^^^ Stay in a routine! Have coffee with friends/family & conversation! It's also this routine that is hard to just stop so...I DON'T!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
How many of you guys are drinking coffee while reading this thread?
55.gif

I am!!

I can take coffee or leave it. I might have a cup a day for a month,and then not drink any for 6 months.

I too drink it because I enjoy the flavor. 99% of the time I drink decaf so no issue with headaches.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
They got drugs for anxiety; you don't have to give up coffee.

Yes...if you don't mind all kinds of serious side effects.

Those drugs are not an option for me...and who needs another addiction? Once you get on those things, it's dangerous and very difficult to get off of them. I think the doctors want you on them for life anyway.
No thanks.

Have been drinking coffee for I suppose 55 years. I have had anxiety issues for many many years. Coffee I don't think had any part in it. I drink now one to 2 cups in the morning.

I would not be too quick to rule out anti-anxiety drugs. Most are not habit forming and if they are..so what. They do not become less effective over time.

I have tried several in years past. They were really not effective.

I now take the genetic form of Celexa (20 mg). It is truly life changing. I don't view it as anything except a health benefit for me. And yes I have exercised all my life and am 5'10" and weigh 146 pounds.

If you want to say I am dependent on the drug, you are correct. Hopefully I will be dependent on it my entire life. I'll gladly take that low road.

Here is a secret that I use to fool my brain...

In the evening while relaxing/watching TV, I microwave a MUG of hot water in a dark/black/brown MUG and sprinkle in some cinnamon. But, the MUG has to be DARK as to simulate a dark(er) hot beverage! Helps to fool the brain...even though I know what's in the MUG, I like it this way!

Originally Posted By: Al
They got drugs for anxiety; you don't have to give up coffee.

Yes...if you don't mind all kinds of serious side effects.

Those drugs are not an option for me...and who needs another addiction? Once you get on those things, it's dangerous and very difficult to get off of them. I think the doctors want you on them for life anyway.
No thanks.

Have been drinking coffee for I suppose 55 years. I have had anxiety issues for many many years. Coffee I don't think had any part in it. I drink now one to 2 cups in the morning.

I would not be too quick to rule out anti-anxiety drugs. Most are not habit forming and if they are..so what. They do not become less effective over time.

I have tried several in years past. They were really not effective.

I now take the genetic form of Celexa (20 mg). It is truly life changing. I don't view it as anything except a health benefit for me. And yes I have exercised all my life and am 5'10" and weigh 146 pounds.

If you want to say I am dependent on the drug, you are correct. Hopefully I will be dependent on it my entire life. I'll gladly take that low road.

I am happy for you that Celexa has changed your life. You may view it as a health benefit...and in the short term it may very well be. I just hope, for your sake and dependence, no long term negative side effects surface in the future that have yet to be realized.

On my principles, and my own common sense....as well as weighing all the known and/or possible negative effects (mentally and physically)....I have steadfastly decided against any psychoactive drugs.

As for coffee and caffeine? Just about any research a person can do will uncover little about any real negative health effects....short term or long term. Actually, more than a few studies show that coffee has the same health benefits as tea.

I am happy for you that Celexa has changed your life. You may view it as a health benefit...and in the short term it may very well be. I just hope, for your sake and dependence, no long term negative side effects surface in the future that have yet to be realized.

On my principles, and my own common sense....as well as weighing all the known and/or possible negative effects (mentally and physically)....I have steadfastly decided against any psychoactive drugs.

Well its a cost vs benefit....as an engineer I understand that very well. Its like blood pressure medication..do you want to die of high blood pressure or take your chances with the drug..which has to be 99.99% safe else lawsuits would kill it. I took Verapamil (bp meds for 25 years without any harmful effects).

Celexa has been in use for 25 years. It balances serotonin (a body generated substance) It would not be considered a psychoactive drug like for instance xanix.

And to bring all of this around..I am 69 years old. Very conscious of my body health. If it has a long term negative effect like 25 years..I won't have to worry about it.

To each his own.
cheers3.gif

Coffee is my only vice. I don't drink alcohol, no tobacco products, no gambling, no other addictions of any sort.

I started drinking coffee late in life, back in 2011 as a matter of fact, when I went back to get my college degree. Working full-time and having a boatload of homework, I needed something to get me through the day.

I drink one 16 oz. cup of coffee in the morning, and that gets me through the day, now. I was up to 32 oz. a day. I did get horrible headaches when I cut the after noon serving out.

I can't imagine giving up coffee completely, it's so delicious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back