P1105 - Rough Idle, High Short-Term Fuel Trims

Status
Not open for further replies.
Earlier tonight, I had a car that gave me some challenges with diagnostics. Just wanted to share the experience with the group.

Vehicle: 1996 Infiniti I30, 3.0L V6
Mileage: 109k

Background: We had just replaced the spark plugs, intake manifold gaskets, coolant cross-over pipe gaskets, cleaned the EGR (and associated plumbing) and cleaned the IAC.

Issue: Upon starting up the car (after reassembly), we noticed a fairly rough idle. After a short test drive, a P1105 code was set. P1105 is for MAP/BAR Switch Solenoid Valve. This was the only code found.

At this point, we re-checked the connections to the MAP but found no issues. We could've thrown a new assembly at the problem, but we decided to look a bit deeper.

Relevant Scan Tool Data:

At idle:

Short-Term Fuel Trim, Bank 1: 3%
Short-Term Fuel Trim, Bank 2: 25%

At 2500rpm: No change.

At this point, I suspected that the vehicle was running lean for some reason. We re-checked for vacuum leaks and found none. We then decided re-check the connections at the injectors on Bank 2; at that point, we found that the connector for the injector at cylinder #2 was not fully seated!

Cleared codes, test drove the car again. Fuel trims are now normal, car idles normally and no pending/active codes were found again.

Moral of the story: Don't replace parts before doing a proper diagnostic! When we saw the P1105 code, we could have assumed that we needed to replace the assembly...but the issue turned out to be different.

The car talk guys once said that far too many mechanics would chalk up a CEL to "something with the computer" forgetting that "the same problems one had on cars without computers occur on cars with computers"; This is often not appreciated.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

Moral of the story: Don't replace parts before doing a proper diagnostic! When we saw the P1105 code, we could have assumed that we needed to replace the assembly...but the issue turned out to be different.

Yea, this is how a lot of people diagnose; just throwing parts at whatever the computer says is wrong, when often it might just be a side effect of what is really going on.
Did you read/see any pending codes?

I've found dealerships are notorious for just replacing parts rather than diagnosing. I've come to appreciate some of the small shops.

Cyl bal and fuel trim are often poor spray malf inj due to 1 cyl lean condition. I had issue with split 0 ring on a cis L-jetronic - in the late hard to find w/no ODB LII

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: niero
I've found dealerships are notorious for just replacing parts rather than diagnosing. I've come to appreciate some of the small shops.
NIce markup on parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back