Express work van dyno to synthetic recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2007 Chevrolet Express 2500 (8,600# GVRW) with a 4.9L. It has 85,000 miles (135,000 km) on the clock. It is in need of some preventative maintenance but aside from that runs fairly well. It is being used as a work van, getting used daily hauling around tools and supplies (500+ pounds) and racking up the miles. Of course it will get neglected getting regular service hence the reason wanting to switch to synthetic in order to get higher OCI. I am looking on getting some recommendations on what oil to use (5w30), thinking PP or QSUD just because they usually go on sale and easy to get anywhere. Should I be worried about switching to synthetic on an engine with this mileage? The oil cooler lines are beginning to weep, which is pretty common, aside from that it looks pretty dry.

Any help appreciated!

What can possibly go wrong? I heard all of it, JASO MA oil the is too slick for wet clutch, same grade oil as previously used will magically turn to water and leak, that it will curd (yes like cottage cheese) when it comes into contact with dino that was already there, but first rule of oil is the fact that it is oil. Run it and share your experience. I don't see 85k being that old, stick to oe spec. I switched to syn at 160+k and could not tell any difference. Remember? oil.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Mobil 1 HM 5w30 would be perfect.

I agree. I say pick up 10 quarts of M1 HM 5w-30, and use the rebate to get $24 back.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
MaxLife Synthetic would be good too.

Although I don't see why an 85k van needs a HM oil, I totally agree on the Full Syn MaxLife.

Also meets more specs than M1 HM.

Originally Posted By: tayto
... Of course it will get neglected getting regular service hence the reason wanting to switch to synthetic in order to get higher OCI...

At the very least make sure that the oil level is checked regularly and kept to the max line on the dipstick. Otherwise your efforts looking for synthetics and extending the OCIs will be wasted.

Buddy that owns work van phoned last night wanting to get some more maintenance done he has put about 13,000km (8000 miles) since the change to synthetic. Was planning on getting a UOA but is it alright to go by GMs Oil life monitor? Or is a UOA required to extend the OCI?

Also when/if getting a UOA should i spend the extra money and get the tests with TBN & TAN?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back