phone plan to tether computer to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi: I have an elderly(70's) friend of modest income living in a subsidized apt. complex. He has a $37? total per month very old phone plan with antique phone and no car. I would like to find him a phone, plan, and bluetooth? tether plan where he can run an old P-4 or similar cheap/free computer tethered to phone. Fair amount of e-mail, likes to web surf, no sound / video / Facebook downloads.I may assist a little with phone or computer if price is right. I'm thinking about Metro PCS and their 4G LTE $50 using T-mobil, not sure what brand phone. A lot of new plans w/data seem to be coming out. Any thoughts? Thanks!

If you can find him an old computer, NetZero dialup is an option. He can get unlimited access for around $17 per month. It's not fast and he's not going to be watching YouTube videos on it. Many of us can still remember dialup and its limitations but it did work. For email and reading the news, it was fine. I'm not sure there is a tether option that would be cost effective for him.

I've got metro pcs but haven't tried tethering. The price point is very reasonable for unlimited talk/text/data. Depending on the plan, you get up to a certain amount of data per month at 4g speeds, once over the limit it gets throttled a bit lower. I've got the $40 a month plan and haven't ever 'gone over' the limit.
Just be sure you can get 4g coverage at your friend's apartment.

Who's his cable company? TWC has a $15/mo internet plan. Throw in a magicjack for phone.

Whoever does cable (and DSL), get their official rate card, there are sometimes packages they don't advertise AT ALL that you have to ask for by name.

Originally Posted By: RW1
If you can find him an old computer, NetZero dialup is an option. He can get unlimited access for around $17 per month. It's not fast and he's not going to be watching YouTube videos on it. Many of us can still remember dialup and its limitations but it did work. For email and reading the news, it was fine. I'm not sure there is a tether option that would be cost effective for him.

Dialup is pretty useless now/painful as developers rarely cater for it with the advent of even high then cable speed cell data coverage. He'll walk away and lose interest....

Would an oversized phablet(5.5"+ smartphone/android) work for him?

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Originally Posted By: RW1

Dialup is pretty useless now/painful as developers rarely cater for it with the advent of even high then cable speed cell data coverage. He'll walk away and lose interest....

Would an oversized phablet(5.5"+ smartphone/android) work for him?

+1 Especially if you could somehow link a full size keyboard. For an older person, the bigger the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back