Oil Recommendation-2015 Honda Accord V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jiffy_Chris
Page 145 1998 Civic owners manual. Every interval of 3750 miles says and I quote, " replace engine oil and filter."

Chris - just a friendly suggestion from an old [censored] - if you are going to cite a document as a basis for fact, it's probably a good practice to use something more current than 17 years ago.

True, but seeing as how it's the only car I own and only physical document I had. I wish the search option had more options to find more info regarding this.

I just checked the manual for a 2000 Civic and the severe service calls for 3,750mi oil and filter changes, but normal service is 15,000 filter change interval with 7,500 oil change interval.

For the 2001 Civic, severe service calls for 5,000mi oil and filter changes, with normal service calling for 10k oil changes and 20k oil filter intervals.

I think it's pretty clear that Honda does recommend filter changes for every other oil change, at last for normal service.

Since we're talking about a 2015 Accord, Honda's current Maintenance Minder recommendations are what is germane.

Honda's maintenance schedule makes sense to me. I would just follow it without tweaking it.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
...I would just follow it without tweaking it.

I don't fully trust any manufacturer, it's in their best interest for our cars not to last forever...

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
Originally Posted By: Leo99
...I would just follow it without tweaking it.

I don't fully trust any manufacturer, it's in their best interest for our cars not to last forever...

Whatever that means........

Thanks for the advice. I think I will go with Mobil 1 Extended Performance or Pennzoil Platinum Plus.

My dealer currently uses the Honeywell/Fram version of the OEM filter. That is a no go for me. I can order the Filtech online. I am not sure if they will install an aftermarket brand. Any thoughts on the Filtech?

Originally Posted By: geeman789
Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Any BITOGers feel adventurous and disregard warranty requirements?

Currently running M1 0w40 in a car that specs 5w30... under warranty... OMG...!

However...

It was the last year that Subaru had the temperature / useage / viscosity chart in the owners manual ... I am "allowed..." to use 5w30, 10w30, 5w40, 10w40, 20w50 or even straight 40...

Probably screwed though, because 0w40 is not specifically mentioned...!

Every situation might is different but I've read some posts on this forum where people said they were not asked for the kind of oil used when they made warranty claims.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Let's see, somebody buys a new Honda and everybody recommends Mobil 1.

How boring can you get?

Honda, for long periods of high revs and throttle opening recommend 10W30.

For essentially the same engine in outboard marine applications.

Originally Posted By: akv
My dealer currently uses the Honeywell/Fram version of the OEM filter. That is a no go for me. I can order the Filtech online. I am not sure if they will install an aftermarket brand. Any thoughts on the Filtech?

If you mean the Honda A01 Filtech it isn't an aftermarket filter, Honda considers them interchangeable. They really should not have any issue installing one. Some folks on the Honda boards swear by HAMP filters as well.

The A02 isn't a bad filter, there are many of them cut open here in the filter forum (and some A01's too) The newest ones look slightly different from the previous Honeywell versions IIRC.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2983031

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3094955

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Welcome to BITOG!

My recommendation is to use the cheapest synthetic 0w20 that's on sale.

Right now, Advance Auto Parts has Mobil Super Synthetic for $21.99 including a Driveworks filter (for $2 more, you can upgrade to the Purolator PureOne which has an awesome textured grip).

Also, if AAP purchases qualify, you will get a Mobil $7 rebate per 5 quarts of Super product oil. Limit two $7 rebates.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

How boring can you get?

Honda, for long periods of high revs and throttle opening recommend 10W30.

For essentially the same engine in outboard marine applications.

Marine engines operate at 4000 constantly....I know in my Honda (which is a 4 banger) I only need to rev up to 3000 max to get where I am going.

How boring can you get?

Its a top notch oil and its available almost everywhere...why not recommend it?

Rebate is only good from the list of stores on their site. Amazon is the only one that most of us have access to. WalMart is not on the list.

Originally Posted By: loneryder
Rebate is only good from the list of stores on their site. Amazon is the only one that most of us have access to. WalMart is not on the list.

NOT TRUE. The list on the rebate literature is a partial list. I confirmed this by telephone with the rebate center. Then I got two rebate checks from Mobil on purchases I made at Walmart in the fall, 2014. Same story now.

Originally Posted By: gregk24

How boring can you get?

Its a top notch oil and its available almost everywhere...why not recommend it?

Boring oil is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back