Fumoto drain valve particles left

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm one of those guys who used them and stopped.

In our GM fleet V8's they would not give the fast, flushing drain that the stock bolt does. They also left a small amount in the pan. Over time this appeared to lead to a sludgy build up in the bottom.

They are still on our blowers and CAT pumps, and on my boat, so I am not completely against them.

Just be aware that like many mods they should be carefully evaluated IMO...

That's exactly it. IF you have a need and an application for it, great. One doesn't need to do modifications willy nilly. I'm messy when I change oil, so for me, it's a good idea. With it actually draining the G out as completely as the normal plug, I'm happy.

Originally Posted By: artbuc
Fumoto valve is a solution looking for a problem that does not exist.

A drain plug hidden in a pan full of hot oil is a problem that exists. The Fumoto valve solves it.

One of the first things I did when we got both of our 2014 vehicles was to replace the drain plugs with Fumoto Valves. My last six cars have all had the Fumoto Valves and, IMO, you can't beat them for convenience. I'm not in a race when it comes to draining the oil. As slow as I've become over the past few years it's a non-factor for me. I usually get the oil draining and then do other things, like replace the oil filter. By the time everything is done, except for new oil, it's pretty much as empty as will get.

Last edited:
Another vote FOR fumoto valves here. I've had one on my 2002 Tacoma since around 2004 or so. I've had one on my 2003 Hyundai since 2005. I have almost 200K on both vehicles. Both valves still operate very smoothly and I've never had any leaks. If they leave any oil behind, it couldn't be much. Both take right at their stated capacity each oil change. I will put one on every new vehicle I get as long as there is clearance for one.

Originally Posted By: tdpark
One nice thing about using fumoto is never having to worry about a stripped drain plug.

Our Navigator came with it's threads just about ready to strip. Put a valve in and have never looked back.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
I'm one of those guys who used them and stopped.

In our GM fleet V8's they would not give the fast, flushing drain that the stock bolt does. They also left a small amount in the pan. Over time this appeared to lead to a sludgy build up in the bottom.

They are still on our blowers and CAT pumps, and on my boat, so I am not completely against them.

Just be aware that like many mods they should be carefully evaluated IMO...

When I installed the one in our Motor home 1992 454 TBI I added about 6 oz of new motor oil with the valve open and let it drain until it stopped. Then I removed the valve and NO more oil came out. That was when I knew the Fumoto valve permitted a full and complete drain of the old motor oil in our case.

I have used the Fumoto valves on Jeeps, Pickups and semi trucks for all of this century. Needed? No. Nice to have? You bet. A lot less mess, easier to catch a sample for a UOA, etc. I live on a farm. My vehicles have to go over and thru some interesting terrain, mud, or deep snow, and I have yet to be concerned about the Fumoto valve on them. I put over 1 million miles on one semi truck with a Fumoto without any issues. I have 375,000 miles on my present one with a Fumoto as well. My Jeep has gone over a lot of agriculture terraces, bottoming out several times. Same for my previous 1/2 ton pickup and my present 3/4 ton pickup. Get one if you like, avoid it if you like. Won't affect me in the least. I won't make a dime if someone buys one, and I will not lose a dime if they don't.

But for only slightly more than the price of a large multi topping pizza, it is a much better value than a lot of other junk people seem to throw their money at putting on their vehicles. Someone will spend thousands jacking up their pickup, throwing on substantially oversized wheels and tires, and a host of other stuff like subwoofers, high priced mud flaps, plastidipping various parts of their vehicle, yet will balk at putting on an inexpensive valve that can make things easier. Go figure.

Finally purchased one for each of my cars last night. Hopefully they'll be here by the weekend, they're both due for fresh oil.

I used one on my Cummins-powered Dodge. The Cummins oil pan holds 12 qts and there is a big drain plug right in the middle of the pan. The first time I tried changing oil in the driveway it hit the drain pan so hard a lot of it splashed out and I lost about a gallon of nasty, black oil on my driveway! On the Cummins forum guys would joke about changing oil while wearing a tuxedo, if using the Fumoto valve. So I put on a Fumoto and enjoyed the easier, albeit slower oil changes.

However, on the Cummins it does seem like the drain valve traps maybe 3/16" of oil and Lord-knows-what at the bottom of the oil pan. After changing oil it would immediately turn black from the soot buildup. The last time I changed oil I did a sort of flush by draining the old oil, removing the Fumoto valve, and idling the engine for 15 minutes with a 3-1 mixture of motor oil and kerosene with a fresh filter (using the regular drain plug), and then dumping that and refilling with normal oil and another fresh filter. The flush seemed to do the trick because the oil didn't turn black again until I had driven a few thousand miles.

When I drove a Subaru there were pictures on how to notch a Fumoto valve so ALL the oil would drain from the pan. I never used a Fumoto valve because the Subaru was so easy to get to the drain plug. I now have a Mazda CX5 and see no value in changing the drain plug. ed

Shipping is a killer for the price of these valves :S
Even the jacked up price of drain plugs might be better $6 each while valve $30 + $10 + taxes ~ 50

Last edited:
Try draining the oil out of a 1965 Ford F-100 FE without one of these drain plugs. I am so glad to have it and not the typical oil mess all over. Outside of that unique situation I wouldn't bother with them when the oil drops straight into a pan.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak
Do you have a Maxim nearby? They did have to order mine in (automotive application versus diesel truck application), but they charged me their "normal" price.

Unfortunately not

Going from a rear-facing oil plug that was a PITA to a front-facing plug with a Fumoto valve on my current car makes it so I barely have to jack up the car...not to mention it's 20-30 minutes faster with a much more positive tactile and visual feel that everything is right if you're not removing and tightening the plug every time. Considering the oil pan / plug placement, I'm not overly concerned about the level of residual oil remaining but it's definitely a YMMV situation.

Originally Posted By: Stewie
Unfortunately not

Darn, well that's how I avoided the shipping charges. Then again, the price was a wee bit higher, if I recall correctly, than the online price. Check on the Canadian site and see if there are local retailers, or anything at all close by. There is a list of at least some of the dealers there.

Originally Posted By: artbuc
Fumoto valve is a solution looking for a problem that does not exist.

Thanks, I needed a laugh.
laugh.gif

You must own vehicles then that have easy access and easy drain and do not drain onto cross members and splash oil everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back