I have started letting the car idle again

Status
Not open for further replies.
my work truck a 2007 f150 , it gets idled in the morning when it gets cold for about 15 minutes while I get ready for work. Safety(clear ice free windows ) and comfort first.
My personal vehicles have heated seats and are garaged. So comfort and safety is achieved upon start up. I rollout of the garage and go.
My BMW doesnt have a water temp gauge just an oil temp gauge. It doesnt indicate any oil temp until I have driven 5 or more miles.

Check the forecast for this Thursday. The low is 1 degrees and I live near Nashville, tn. More snow predicted here. Lots of idling I bet across the nation later this week.

Originally Posted By: zach1900
My Camry won't warm up in anything below 40 degrees unless I drive it, I learned this early on, I let it idle on a cold start at 35 degrees and the temp needle took 20 minutes to start rising.it's been like this since I got it in 2004.

Sounds like the thermostat is stuck open.

Some of the smaller engines will take forever to warm up idling. I had a festival that was like that too. And if the fan is on because it is in the defrost mode then that is cooling it off right there too.

I doubt if my Accent would warm up to full operating temps idling in 0f weather.

My Corolla 1.8L starts throwing off serious heat in 2 minutes and fully warms up in about 3, you can halve those times if driving at 50MPH right after startup. I drive it every do and it's been cold lately so I know the timing well. Single digit cold doesn't change the times noticeably.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
My Corolla 1.8L starts throwing off serious heat in 2 minutes and fully warms up in about 3, you can halve those times if driving at 50MPH right after startup. I drive it every do and it's been cold lately so I know the timing well. Single digit cold doesn't change the times noticeably.

Where is the t-stat in that engine? At the upper or lower hose?

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
When I do let my truck warm up, it's for my sake, not the truck!

Well stated, I like that!

smile.gif

My car warms me up. I do not warm up my car.
Remote start is my friend on a cold winter morning at 4:30 AM as I depart on a 65 mile commute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back