1991 Miata Coolant for it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My moms miata needs new radiator hoses and a timing belt done. So, I am gonna drain the radiator and put in a new thermostat while I am at it. I curious was, what Premixed 50/50 Prediluted Should I use, I have a couple of jugs of http://www.peakauto.com/products/antifreeze-coolants/automotive/ready-use-green/, like it, easy to find locally, and I have topped off my sister's Lexus RX300 with, runs fine.

Basically and I not going to the dealer, and I want something that I can easily find.

Opinions, advice, warnings, etc?

If you're prepared to do a thorough flush with clean water then you can refill with any coolant you want.

For a quick n easy drain/fill use the same type that's already in there

Here's a discussion on Miata.net, your most complete source for all things Miata.

I'd also recommend getting a complete oem hose kit and replace every one...don't forget the little rubber plug on the back of the engine either. After twenty five years, they're all ready to fail and those little engines don't like to overheat.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Olas
If you're prepared to do a thorough flush with clean water then you can refill with any coolant you want.

For a quick n easy drain/fill use the same type that's already in there

Will be only draining the radiator. Not flushing the whole system.

Originally Posted By: suspiciousmind
Here's a discussion on Miata.net, your most complete source for all things Miata.

I'd also recommend getting a complete oem hose kit and replace every one...don't forget the little rubber plug on the back of the engine either. After twenty five years, they're all ready to fail and those little engines don't like to overheat.

Gonna replace the rest of the hoses this summer, just doing the top and bottom of the radiator. Using dayco hoses on the car. This plug what is it called, or has a part number?

That green is fine for the miata of that vintage as a complete fill. But if you are mixing it with what's in there, make sure it's green already. If someone has put a different chemistry in there, like a modern Japanese red or pink, don't mix w/o thoroughly flushing it out, including heater core.

The Lexus would in fact be bad to put that in, unless someone has already flushed out the original Japanese red. Which is still not great, because it will accelerate joint and gasket wear. Red+green will create precipitate that will clog the cooling system.

Originally Posted By: Oro_O
That green is fine for the miata of that vintage as a complete fill. But if you are mixing it with what's in there, make sure it's green already. If someone has put a different chemistry in there, like a modern Japanese red or pink, don't mix w/o thoroughly flushing it out, including heater core.

The Lexus would in fact be bad to put that in, unless someone has already flushed out the original Japanese red. Which is still not great, because it will accelerate joint and gasket wear. Red+green will create precipitate that will clog the cooling system.

I will have check on the miata color, when I get home. But, judging from the terrible hoses that were cut to fit, I am gonna guess it was replaced. Looking at using Zerex Asian on it.

Lexus, maybe has, maybe hasn't. I don't know, just put a little in the vehicle. Has 190,000 miles and smokes like a log trucks, so I am not too worried about it. Planning to drain the radiator and change the fluid this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back