Mobil Super Synthetic- Flash Point > Mobil 1? Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Upon looking at the product data sheets of both Mobil Super Synthetic & Mobil 1, I am puzzled upon something. The listed flash points of Mobil Super Synthetic are sometimes higher than Mobil 1. I have been under the impression that a greater percentage of group IV or PAO in a motor oil, usually can be reflected by a higher flash point number - vs a mineral based motor oil. For example:

Mobil Super Synthetic 0W20 FP= 236C/460F
Mobil 1 EP 0W20 FP= 235C

Mobil Super Synthetic 10W30 FP = 252C/486F!
Mobil 1 EP 10W30= 2302C

Back around the 2002, 2003 years, I ran a Mobil 1 10W30 which listed a flash point in the 480- 490F range. During that time period, most folks agreed that it was a majority PAO motor oil. What has happened since then? Could today's lower flash point numbers be a by product of them using Visom (the fake group IV substitute)?
Just asking.

You are comparing 20 weight to 30 weight. I believe thicker base stock would likely give higher flash point.

I think it would be more appropriate to compare oils of similar weights. Just sayin'.

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
You are comparing 20 weight to 30 weight. I believe thicker base stock would likely give higher flash point.

I think it would be more appropriate to compare oils of similar weights. Just sayin'.

No he isn't. He compared 0w-20 oils and the 10w-30 oils from each group.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back