Brake kit - Meyle / Akebono -vs- Powerstop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to replace the rotors and pads on all four wheels of my 2005 Volvo S-40 T5. I drive the car very gingerly - it's just my daily transportation. While I *like* to use OEM parts, the dealer wants roughly $620 for OEM rotors and pads!

I see a kit from FCP Euro for my car for $355.99 that has Meyle rotors with Akebono pads - https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-b...kit-p1compbkkt3

RockAuto has a very similar kit with PowerStop rotors and Evolution Sport Carbon Fiber/Ceramic Brake Pads for roughly $299 - http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=4750803&cc=1431537&jnid=421&jpid=5 . If I don't want to spend the extra money for cross-drilled and slotted rotors, they have the same kit with plain rotors for $203.79, which sure sounds like a great price. The *cool-look factor* of having slotted and driller rotors means nothing to me - I just want a quality rotor and pads to stop when I need to!

smile.gif

If the Meyle rotors with Akebono pads are worth the extra $$$, I don't mind spending it, otherwise I'm inclined to but the kit from RockAuto for $203.79 and call it good.

Suggestions? Comments?

Thank you,
Ed

I have no personal experience with the Powerstop products, but have seen many more negative reviews than positives. I think the negatives are due to drivers of Euro cars going from OE pads that have a higher friction rating to the Powerstop pads that are likely to be lower friction ratings. Something like OE pads being GG or FG/GF rated and the Powerstops are EE or EF/FE.

I'm upgrading my rears on the Audi to a GG pad because the FF pads on there now cause too much nose diving.

Edit: The Akebonos are likely rated FF. That is what I have on the rear of my car currently, and will be replacing with Raybestos EHT Element 3 pads which are GG rated.

Last edited:
I like the Akebono pads and have a set on a Mazda RX8 right now.

They should be long wearing and have a good pedal feel.

They also should work for you with your driving style in your Volvo.

You might check Amazon for another price on the Akebono pads.

Skip the drilled and slotted stuff, they are all for show and provide no benefit with modern pads.

We use Meyle a lot in the shop for used cars of competitive makes. Check out IPD for brake options for your S40 also.

For the pads for a daily driver: consider Wagner Thermoquiet. With the $30 rebate (posted by Va Runner), you should be able to get them from Amazon for less than $30.

Bed them in on your existing rotors. If there is no pulsation, and the rotors are not thinner than minimum spec, then perhaps you can keep going on the rotors you have.

FCP Euro sells OEM Volvo parts as well, a cursory look on their website shows it being cheaper than at your dealer. YMMV once the details are worked out though.

I've used Meyle on some stuff for my BMW, their quality is hit or miss. Some is great, some is cheap. It's hard to tell which is which without looking at it.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

I've used Meyle on some stuff for my BMW, their quality is hit or miss. Some is great, some is cheap. It's hard to tell which is which without looking at it.

I'll second this.

But I haven't researched Meyle rotors, so I don't know where they fall on the quality scale.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
FCP Euro sells OEM Volvo parts as well, a cursory look on their website shows it being cheaper than at your dealer. YMMV once the details are worked out though.

Based on your feedback of the Meyle being hit or miss, the fact that the Meyle rotors are slotted and drilled and some people saying that I should skip those types of rotors as well as the fact that I'm pretty easy on my car...I'm starting to think the PowerStop kit is a heckuva deal to beat!

With the "basic" kit at $203.79 and I can probably find a RockAuto discount code for 5% off...that looks like a screamin' deal to me???

Ed

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Copy and Paste those part numbers into Amazon, I bet the parts are cheaper.

Amazon doesn't even have them. Because I live in the Republic of California, Amazon is often no longer the best price thanks to our Nazi legislators who force Amazon to collect sales tax these days.

Ed

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Amazon collects sales tax from everyone these days.

Interesting. Well, that explains why I don't buy anywhere near as much from Amazon as I once did - they're rarely a bargain anymore.

A shining example of what happens when politicians "even the playing field".

Ed

I've used Powerstop rotors on 3 vehicles so far with zero problems. I have paired them with Hawk pads in each case. It is critical that they be "bedded-in" per the manufacturer's instructions immediately after installation. Suspect many of the complaints about various pads/rotors are from failure to do this step.

I have had some customers complain that ceramic brake pads don't feel the same as semi metallic pads. Typically American and Japanese cars use ceramics, and European cars use semi metallic pads. Keep that in mind, because every Akebono brake pad I encountered was ceramic.

avoid slotted/drilled. lots of talk of the powerstops found on amazon not being real, but other brands fraudulently packaged as powerstop.

I'd want to know if volvo stocks softer rotors, like bmw. if you are picky about pedal feel, like some bmw /enthusiasts/, then parts made by the original oem manufacturer, or just dealer parts, would be the safest bet.

I personally have had very good experiences with raybestos Advanced Technology (AT) series rotors coupled with akebono pads. They have been silent, low dust, and nice pedal feel, and better than stock stopping power. It's just the best combo I've found. You /must/ bed them properly, which means a few stops of 45-0 in a row. akebono says it's not needed. that varies per vehicle I find. truck needed it, mdx didn't, van didn't.

I have driven a few early '2000's S60s. I think the combo would be a nice match for the s40.

Originally Posted By: meep
You /must/ bed them properly,

Yes...
Originally Posted By: meep
which means a few stops of 45-0 in a row.

No.

Properly would be vigorous near-stops of something more like 45-5 MPH, keep moving at the end of each, otherwise you'll get uneven deposits on the rotor for each full stop. Better to coast and prevent that.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=85

BREMBO Gran Turismo
"In a safe area, apply brakes moderately from 60mph to 30mph and then drive approximately 1/2 mile to allow the brakes to cool. Repeat this procedure approximately 30 times."

HAWK
"Do not allow the vehicle to come to a complete stop."

... and the real authority:

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/-warped-brake-disc-and-other-myths

"If you come to a complete stop before the break-in process is completed there is the chance for non-uniform pad material transfer or pad imprinting to take place and the results will be what the whole process is trying to avoid. Game over."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back