BMW Service is insane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Isn't the OCI 2 years/15k miles?

As I stated above, "BMW will change the oil free for you every year minimum regardless of the miles." Applies for the first 4 years of ownership and beyond should one choose to purchase an extended warranty.

In our case, the OE battery wore out near the end of the warranty. The dealer replaced it and registered the replacement at no charge to us. I thought that was beyond the scope of warranty and was appreciative.

Originally Posted By: CBR.worm
In our case, the OE battery wore out near the end of the warranty. The dealer replaced it and registered the replacement at no charge to us. I thought that was beyond the scope of warranty and was appreciative.

As with any brand, some BMW dealers go that extra mile to actually assist their customers while others are continually looking for a reason to ding them for an additional charge.
Fortunately my dealer belongs in the first category.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I never owned a BMW and I was a passenger in few, I also observe very keenly BMW drivers, so I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about when I say that BMW cars are pure and utter (fill in the balnk)...
grin.gif
(j/k)

On a serious note, I really don't see what is so "insane" about BMW's service. Sure, when compared to some generic econoboxes like a Toyota or Honda, it may seem excessive, but this is a BMW, that at least on paper, can still be driven in a spirited manner while maintaining a perfect composure, so the service intervals reflect this. Is it BMW's fault that most 3 owners renters treat them like Corollas?

I like it when they put whitewalls on them at turn in time. Or some Chinese junk. BTW, there's a 633 CSI sitting in the driveway right now. Two (count them) two blowers, one for heat, one for AC. Germans don't often miss a chance to "simplify" things. 4x6 speakers in the factory sound system. GRRRRRRRREAT TRX wheels you can't find tires for.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
I like it when they put whitewalls on them at turn in time. Or some Chinese junk. BTW, there's a 633 CSI sitting in the driveway right now. Two (count them) two blowers, one for heat, one for AC. Germans don't often miss a chance to "simplify" things. 4x6 speakers in the factory sound system. GRRRRRRRREAT TRX wheels you can't find tires for.

Up to @1980 BMWs weren't designed with integrated A/C, hence the second fan fitted to blow through the evaporator. As for the dreadful TRX tires, Munich wasn't the only offender; Alfa, Audi, Citroen, Ferrari, Ford, and SAAB(among others) also bought into that scheme.

TBH, I drove a X1 2.8xDrive that was a Zipcar. I was not impressed, it was even more numb than a Toyota, and even a NA Subaru Forester felt like it had more go. It handled decently well but the steering felt disconnected and there was lots of turbo lag.

However, I do recall driving a E39 5-Series and a few E46/E92 3-Series and the 1st BMW Mini Cooper. They all felt solid and composed.

I'm surprised the X1 didn't feel zippy, we've had the turbo 4 328i wagon as a loaner - it felt quicker to me than the numbers would indicate. I'm sure the X1 is heavier, but ...

Maybe my last experience driving a N/A Subaru wagon is not remembered correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back