Any a.m. coffee drinkers ever quit ... not easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to be a heavy coffee drinker. Probably on the average day, thermos (2 cups I think) before getting to work, probably 3 cups before lunch, another couple after lunch and a once I’ve gotten home. Although I never associated it, it was to the point that I’d often have a headache if I slept in on Saturday – I would end up with a headache when I woke up, fixed usually by a cup of coffee. Just sort of thought I was sleeping bad at the time, and that it was sort of a necessary evil of work schedule, sleeping less than I should, etc.

Maybe 6 months ago, my g/f was told to cut out coffee among other things IIRC correctly because of reflux, so I in turn cut it out as well. First day or two was rough but the adjustment came pretty fast. Every so often I still crave it but it’s no longer terrible. If I get something like a free cup coupon, I’ll grab one, but it’s rare. It’ll get better. I do overall fell better I suppose, nice to not rely on it so much any longer.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Wait till next year and it will be the worst thing you can drink.

LOL I'm waiting for case studies showing the benefits of drinking Vodka....... lol

Good Luck my friend! I have quit everything that I have enjoyed. Cigarettes, Beer/Whiskey, )?^@$, etc.(some chocolate & red meat) But, I know what you mean; anything that causes a dependency. I am now on 50%/50% coffee! But, at least it's something.

If this cold turkey doesn't work for you, cut back so that you get some or your stomach will be in knots!(and constipated).

Last edited:
LoneRanger,

I am a person that suffers almost daily from anxiety. It's like the plague for me.

I WILL NOT take antidepressants (tried them twice...horrible experience).

I was also told that cutting back or stopping coffee might ease it somewhat.

Well...I've been a coffee drinker since 1982. I love the stuff. Am I addicted? Oh yes...very much so. I did stop a couple of times to see if I could. Once, many years ago, I did stop for about a month. Yes...I was a zombie. After about a week or so I was no longer addicted to it. I missed it though. It was more difficult to get moving in the mornings...and I really saw no benefit to quitting. So I started up again.

A few weeks ago I tried cutting back on the amount I drink (three to five cups a day). I got TERRIBLE headaches later in the day just from cutting back to two cups! I am now happily back to my usual amount.

Other than my anxiety problems....I see zero reason for me to give up coffee altogether. I try to skip any more coffee when I feel anxious. As far as I have researched, coffee has very little, if any, negative health effects.

I'll most likely never give it up and don't see any reason to.

I can quit anytime I want.... I just dont want to right now..... I drink my coffee black and dont have any ill effects if I drop it cold turkey for a few days or more. I work shift work and it keeps me alive.

I quit. I was finding I was drinking coffee in the morning to stay awake throughout the day and then sleeping late because I couldn't sleep at night. Because I went to bed late, I was tired in the morning then repeat with coffee to to wake up, go to bed late, tired next day. So I stopped and started going to bed earlier, not so tired in the morning, just drink water and now off coffee completely.

Originally Posted By: ryansride2017
I'm 42 and never had a cup in my life. Never understood the allure...especially the $5 a cup specialty stores. Really don't have anything with caffeine in it...mostly water.

I've never had a cup of coffee either. I do like soda, but caffeine doesn't affect me at all. I can quit cold turkey with no ill effects. I give it up for stretches of time throughout the year. Right now, I haven't had any in about a month or so.

My wife gets really bad headaches when she stops drinking caffeine (soda & sweet tea). She has to wean herself off of it over the course of a week or so.

Maybe go to a blend of green and black loose whole leaf teas; maybe 90% Assam + 10% Himalayan Green tips.
Frontier is not too bad a place to source it.

Last edited:
Yep, I can relate. Had to go up to the trusty Bunn coffee maker in the front office and down a cup. Have to get some work done, had to do something. Amazing how my energy and outlook has improved. But, I caved. Weak.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
LoneRanger,

I am a person that suffers almost daily from anxiety. It's like the plague for me.

I WILL NOT take antidepressants (tried them twice...horrible experience).

I was also told that cutting back or stopping coffee might ease it somewhat.

Well...I've been a coffee drinker since 1982. I love the stuff. Am I addicted? Oh yes...very much so. I did stop a couple of times to see if I could. Once, many years ago, I did stop for about a month. Yes...I was a zombie. After about a week or so I was no longer addicted to it. I missed it though. It was more difficult to get moving in the mornings...and I really saw no benefit to quitting. So I started up again.

A few weeks ago I tried cutting back on the amount I drink (three to five cups a day). I got TERRIBLE headaches later in the day just from cutting back to two cups! I am now happily back to my usual amount.

Other than my anxiety problems....I see zero reason for me to give up coffee altogether. I try to skip any more coffee when I feel anxious. As far as I have researched, coffee has very little, if any, negative health effects.

I'll most likely never give it up and don't see any reason to.

Wean yourself off slowly over a couple of months to one cup a day. One cup a day won't give you anxiety. Also, you should take a B-complex vitamin, that helps with anxiety as you cut back on the caffeine.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: rjundi
Never and probably won't. I enjoy the taste of a small amount of strong coffee or an espresso.
+1

I have actually gone from 1 to 2 cups a day recently, one in the morning, and one in the afternoon.

I have a cup of cappuccino in the morning for many many years, not going to stop for any reason. Other than this morning cappuccino I only drink water or juice, no soda of any kind.

2 cups a day currently..you guys drinking 10 cups per day or 2 quarts..wowza..i guess you dont drink much water? I know coffee is good for you but 10 cups seems excessive.

OP, try cutting it gradually. How much did you drink before? Maybe go to half caf? Or i would say drink some green or wite tea. Or do this..week 1: 2 cups down to 1, week 2: 1 cup coffee replaced with 1 cup black tea..than go to green then white tea. Not only alot less caffeine, some antioxidants/polyphenols and good things from tea.

So I will try to make a long story short. I generally hover between 180 and 200 lbs. I work out daily, but some of meds are no good for losing weight.

I recently went through a large bout with steroids (prednisone) for my lungs. I put 30lbs on. Sucks.

Finally got off of them and I am down to 218. VA helped by paying for a diet plan since they over medicated me.

On the plan I cannot have Mocha or Latte. I would have one a day (sugar free and fat free) with 4 shots of coffee/espresso.
I stopped cold turkey. I have to say the first 4 days were miserable. HUGE headache. Now about 2 and half weeks into it. I feel fine and my blood pressure is normal 117 over 72.

It is my goal when this diet is over in 6 weeks to never have another Mocha or Latte again!

I had some ticker issues pop up 3 years ago. Had to give up cold turkey.

That lasted about a week. I got tired of feeling lethargic and having a massive headache all the time.

I drink coffee usually twice a day. Half quart in the morning and half a quart in the evening. However, I have no issues when not drinking coffee. I just happen to like it. The wife is a zombie without coffee in the morning.

hotwheels

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
They got drugs for anxiety; you don't have to give up coffee.

Yes...if you don't mind all kinds of serious side effects.

Those drugs are not an option for me...and who needs another addiction? Once you get on those things, it's dangerous and very difficult to get off of them. I think the doctors want you on them for life anyway.

No thanks.

I'll stick with physical and emotional exercises to combat it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rshaw125
Too fast. I know people who went down from 3 to 2 for a week and the 2 to 1 cup etc. Same with Coke. Gradual decrease is better for caffeine.

Exactly, I thinking gradual tapering is better...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back