Rrrrrrrrrrrrrr.. sheet of ice flew off a semi

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's not safe to clear snow/ice buildup off your vehicle then it's probably not safe for you to drive.

Ouch, I would be mad for this as well.

However, we can sit here all day and discuss what should and should not be done, but the reality is that this isn't an easily manageable problem.
That is why me and my wife are trying to stay as far away as we can from big equipment on the road, not just tractor trailers and not just during winter.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Extension ladder and $25 snow shovel.....

Reality is the issue is when a trailer is picked up that has been sitting for a while with some freeze/thaw cylces. Not a fresh dump of snow that the wind will clean off if driven right away if snow is not too wet.

Not permitted...requires a safety harness and tether. Also, many trailer roofs will not hold a person's weight!

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
The issue is that many warehouses don't wanna spend $25k on one of these:

71tk7n.jpg

Doo Pile is still in business??
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I feel that drivers of personal vehicles have no excuse for this. But what can a truck driver do to clear snow/ice accumulation on the top of his trailer after an over-night break at a rest stop?

The trailer just need to be designed to make it easily done by the driver... Its not rocket science, a ladder and a fall arrest system on top of the trailer. Maybe $1 or 2k to do?
Its not as simple as you may think it is.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
You won't find me 14ft up on top of an ice covered trailer.

Me neither. One fall and your dead.

I saw, I kid you not, a Nissan Xterra completely covered in snow (hood, roof, windows) going down the road. The front windshield only had a small clearing of snow (about the size of a basket ball) from which the driver was peering out.

It was like a snow tank!

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
Originally Posted By: Chris142
You won't find me 14ft up on top of an ice covered trailer.

Me neither. One fall and your dead.

Not to mention the weight of a couple inches of ice and snow. It's not like scrapping a windshield off.

Keeping a far distance is really your only option when sharing the road with trucks.

Until it's a bit more reasonable to have the truck cleaned off (scrapers are more readily available) - do your best to keep your distance.

I don't expect someone to stand 14' up in the air, with no sort of safety equipment and shovel off a truck.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: rjundi
Extension ladder and $25 snow shovel.....

Reality is the issue is when a trailer is picked up that has been sitting for a while with some freeze/thaw cylces. Not a fresh dump of snow that the wind will clean off if driven right away if snow is not too wet.

Not permitted...requires a safety harness and tether. Also, many trailer roofs will not hold a person's weight!

Absolutely! Most van trailers (containers excluded) are actually pretty weak. There is no "frame" to them. The walls, roof and floor are structural. The roof is NOT designed to have the load of a person standing on it. Having someone on top of the thing risks having them fall through - on top of that, if someone *did* fall through the roof, the trailer would be structurally compromised.

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I feel that drivers of personal vehicles have no excuse for this. But what can a truck driver do to clear snow/ice accumulation on the top of his trailer after an over-night break at a rest stop?

The trailer just need to be designed to make it easily done by the driver... Its not rocket science, a ladder and a fall arrest system on top of the trailer. Maybe $1 or 2k to do?
Its not as simple as you may think it is.

A cable down the middle of the trailer and with a lanyard and body harness... Its not hard, but I suppose its infinitely more difficult than doing nothing like they currently do. I guess we need someone important to get killed or a class action lawsuit settled against them and suddenly figuring out a way to clean off the trailers becomes quite a cheap solution...

This is the same concept as a dump truck that has the "stay back x' " sign on their tailgate. Right after my mom bought her Elantra, a semi pulled out of the local steel mill and was flinging rocks everywhere. We stayed back a healthy distance but a rock still got the car. It hit the hood twice and the windshield once leaving a nice chip in the glass. The hood has 2 decent dents too. (The dealer insisted she needed a new windshield.. that's another story.
smile.gif
)

There really isn't anything that can be done as far as I know.

I did see a dump truck in town a few months ago that was pulled over. He was loaded to the top with that slag material, but didn't have the canvas cover over the load. I imagine that is why he was pulled over. Those covers are there for a reason and it seems they are hardly ever used.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
This is the same concept as a dump truck that has the "stay back x' " sign on their tailgate. Right after my mom bought her Elantra, a semi pulled out of the local steel mill and was flinging rocks everywhere. We stayed back a healthy distance but a rock still got the car. It hit the hood twice and the windshield once leaving a nice chip in the glass. The hood has 2 decent dents too. (The dealer insisted she needed a new windshield.. that's another story.
smile.gif
)

There really isn't anything that can be done as far as I know.

I did see a dump truck in town a few months ago that was pulled over. He was loaded to the top with that slag material, but didn't have the canvas cover over the load. I imagine that is why he was pulled over. Those covers are there for a reason and it seems they are hardly ever used.
21.gif

Those signs on the back of construction vehicles and Dump Trucks are B$ and have no legal weight other than to confuse potential claimants. Most states still have laws that vehicle operators are still suppose to secure or cover their loads.

if you are going fast enough that wind is blowing snow/ice off the top of vehicles, then all you gotta do is not follow so close. problem solved.
it'll also solve the problem of traffic jams and rubbernecking.
people on here cried about this issue last year.

Not all, but a lot of truck drivers just don't care about being good ambassadors of the road. They have a single-minded goal of getting their run done, and don't care about anything else.

Even if you had stopped the truck, or contacted the company, they would have just blown you off...these guys often just aren't nice people, they assume they own the road, as they are bigger than you.

This isn't all of them, some are really nice guys who do come to the rescue at serious times...but many aren't.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Not all, but a lot of truck drivers just don't care about being good ambassadors of the road. They have a single-minded goal of getting their run done, and don't care about anything else.

Even if you had stopped the truck, or contacted the company, they would have just blown you off...these guys often just aren't nice people, they assume they own the road, as they are bigger than you.

This isn't all of them, some are really nice guys who do come to the rescue at serious times...but many aren't.

That could be said about most drivers, not just truck drivers.

Oh and the passenger side mirror casing is cracked. Dent on hood is very very small. Sounded a lot worse than it was. I'm going to let the passenger side mirror go for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back