Picking a different brand of gear oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Normally I use Amsoil in my drivelines but am starting to look at some alternatives. My big hold up is finding a 75w140 GL5 for the rear diff on my 2011 1500. I... well my wife tows heavy with it and will be keeping the 140 weight. I know Amsoil, RP have good offerings but the Amsoil will need to be special ordered and the RP comes in at 24 bucks a quart at the nearest Cambodian Tire. I started looking at the Co-op (MP) gear oils. They have a 80w140 offering but I have one hold up... its poor point. Its rated at -21C according to its specs. The Amsoil on the other hand was somewhere around -40. [censored], even Amsoils straight weight racing oils have a lower pour point.

All other things aside the cold flow gets me. I regularly drive in sub zero temps and in many occasions tow when it is bloody frigid. Am I missing something or should I be changing my thought process. To me the cold flow is a very relevant sign of ones thermoplastic abilities.

What about Mobil 1 75W-140? It has a pour point of -48C.

Originally Posted By: BrianF
Normally I use Amsoil in my drivelines but am starting to look at some alternatives. My big hold up is finding a 75w140 GL5 for the rear diff on my 2011 1500. I... well my wife tows heavy with it and will be keeping the 140 weight. I know Amsoil, RP have good offerings but the Amsoil will need to be special ordered and the RP comes in at 24 bucks a quart at the nearest Cambodian Tire. I started looking at the Co-op (MP) gear oils. They have a 80w140 offering but I have one hold up... its poor point. Its rated at -21C according to its specs. The Amsoil on the other hand was somewhere around -40. [censored], even Amsoils straight weight racing oils have a lower pour point.

All other things aside the cold flow gets me. I regularly drive in sub zero temps and in many occasions tow when it is bloody frigid. Am I missing something or should I be changing my thought process. To me the cold flow is a very relevant sign of ones thermoplastic abilities.

Check out Red Line and Mobil 1. They will have good cold performance and should be available somewhere up there or online.

Anytime gear oil comes up I suggest RP. Oreillys has it on sale for 14.99 a quart! That synerlec really holds up well in the mechanics of a differential. I use 75w-140 in my truck and I could tell an immediate difference over the factory fill.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Olas
Redline and Swepco make the best gear oils on the planet

Be careful throwing those opinions around. It will turn into a donnybrook around here.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Stick with Amsoil. Buy a few years supply at a time. How often do you change diff. gear oil?

^^This!! Stick with Amsoil. I've tried a bunch of different ones and always come back to Amsoil. I recommend Amsoil SVG 75W140.

Another plug for Amsoil Severe Gear Oil. I buy a lifetime supply of it for my SUV's and don't have to worry about it again.

Suggest you consider: http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/gear-lube/severe-gear-75w-140/?page=%2Fstorefront%2Fsvo.aspx

Initial drain and fill of break-in fluid is at 5K, then 30K, then 60K, then 120K for a Subaru AWD Outback. Other SUV was at 5K, 60K, then 120K. I use Amsoil's 75W-90 in both and my MPG went up after changing the front and rear differentials, transfer case, and several auto transmission drain and fills (beginning at 5K).

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/gear-lube/severe-gear-75w-90/?page=%2Fstorefront%2Fsvg.aspx

Any full synthetic 75w140 will work well. Use whatever is available locally. Mobil1, Amsoil, Redline, RoyalPurple, Castrol, Valvoline...are all great choices Even GM/Ford/Mopar 75w140 is good.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
Supertech 75w140 is always available and the price is right. It will work just fine in it truck

If he is using Amsoil and still looking for a better gear oil, I SERIOUSLY doubt he would want to step down to Supertech. Supertech would be great for a daily driver car or maybe light truck that doesn't tow very much (or at all.) He has severe service in some of the most austere environments in North America. ST would definetely not be an option IMO.

Cambodian Tire eh?

I used to have that autocorrect on, but decided to keep it off. Rather have a misspelled word than something stupid crazy.

For my truck i kept to the manuals recommendations and used syn where it called for and dino where not. For the engine, it suggested syn for -20f and below, so id def use 75w in your truck. 90 or 140, whichever the manual calls for.

Send off for an Amzoil catalog and check out Summit for good shipping rates on Redline oils. Buy local if you can, but spend the $$$ to get top notch fluids by mail since its a once every 100,000 miles type service.

I myself like locally gear oil, Mobil 1 on everything, and valvoline is second choice. Our local napa usually sell amsoils, but they no longer sell it.

Thanks for the replies. I am leaning toward the RP as I dont have to order it in as I would for the Amsoil in that weight. One mistake I found was the spec sheets on the Co-op fluids. The conventional 140 weight is 85w140 and has the -21 pour point. The synthetic is 80w140 with as they put it
I am going to see if the local guy can get PetroCan products in and at what price.

I have to drive at least 90km to the nearest city so time is one thing I dont have.

I decided to give the Coop gear oil a chance. Truth was that I dont have time to hit the city anytime soon. My job keeps me busy and when I am in the city shopping is not an option. I live in an oil town and everything is completely over priced. Local wants 27-30$ a quart for anything 75w140. I will give this stuff a shot and if things dont pan out, well I will die by the sword. I will be "that guy" running 80w140....... oooooh.

Meh, could be worse, I could be working an oil patch job...

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
M1 and Valvoline 75w-140 are both good. Valvoline can be had for cheaper though.

The Valvoline Synpower has a very high viscosity index, and a fairly low pour point for a 75W-140.

It also goes on sale every so often at NAPA (IF you have any up thar in the north country).
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back